RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 09:23 AM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My RX's vibration and drone do not go away at all even after 2 hours of driving. The vibration and some minor hesitation from full stop is what I hated the most and it is unacceptable on a $50k car. My cheaper ES does not have any of these issues, hopefully the TSB can address some of these issues.
Old 02-13-17, 10:29 AM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@615tcp I took it to the dealer a week ago left it overnight for them to check it out at cold start. All they told me is that their head tech. is aware of this issue and Lexus knows about this problem but no fix available yet ... I just got the car 4 weeks ago and its a purchase, not sure bout the fix can shed some light on what oem part etc needs to be replaced? just worried me on a vehicle that costs over 50k i am having to change parts 4 weeks into it... i have been a loyal lexus/toyota client 17+ years...

see video on my drone / vibration noise ...

Last edited by pkumar1981; 02-24-17 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added url
Old 02-13-17, 10:30 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by KenwK
My RX's vibration and drone do not go away at all even after 2 hours of driving. The vibration and some minor hesitation from full stop is what I hated the most and it is unacceptable on a $50k car. My cheaper ES does not have any of these issues, hopefully the TSB can address some of these issues.

Sorry to report the TSB has done nothing for the vibration and drone. If anything it might hold the shift points slightly longer.
Once again disappointed. Service Manager said the drone has something to do with the exhaust sensor pype, whatever
that is.
Old 02-13-17, 10:39 AM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

@tdjacw I took it to the dealer a week of 2/8/17 I left it overnight for them to check it out at cold start.Are you aware of any such issues on your vehicle? what have you heard about the tsb release any details will be appreciated... All they told me is that their head tech. is aware of this issue and Lexus knows about this problem but no fix available yet ... I just got the car 4 weeks ago and its a purchase, not sure bout the fix can shed some light on what oem part etc needs to be replaced? just worried me on a vehicle that costs over 50k i am having to change parts 4 weeks into it... i have been a loyal lexus/toyota client 17+ years... i dont want to assume any expense on changing exhausts/mufflers etc on a brand new vehicle ... lexus should figure this one out i love toyota/lexus for their engineering and have always recommended them to benz customers even got some to switch over .... not sure whats taking the design team of Gen Ikeda and his engineers in japan so long to release a fix ...
Old 02-13-17, 12:51 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Nothing on this issue...

Took my car for its first 5K service and told them of the droning. Was told by the dealer that the issue couldn't be duplicated and that I should come and take a ride with an experienced tech. So, I did since I had to pick up my vehicle anyway. One of the delear's head techs went on a ride and drove my car with me in the passenger seat. He said, he drives RXs all day, everyday and that mine was not operating differently. He said, Lexus has no TSB on this, he never had anyone complain about this issue ever. He assured me by saying: "Lexus is just making the RX sportier now so it's not as silky soft as it once was. Your vehicle is operating at specs." Well, at least I went on record about the issue should Lexus decides to address it in the future.
Old 02-13-17, 12:58 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pkumar1981
@tdjacw I took it to the dealer a week of 2/8/17 I left it overnight for them to check it out at cold start.Are you aware of any such issues on your vehicle? what have you heard about the tsb release any details will be appreciated... All they told me is that their head tech. is aware of this issue and Lexus knows about this problem but no fix available yet ... I just got the car 4 weeks ago and its a purchase, not sure bout the fix can shed some light on what oem part etc needs to be replaced? just worried me on a vehicle that costs over 50k i am having to change parts 4 weeks into it... i have been a loyal lexus/toyota client 17+ years... i dont want to assume any expense on changing exhausts/mufflers etc on a brand new vehicle ... lexus should figure this one out i love toyota/lexus for their engineering and have always recommended them to benz customers even got some to switch over .... not sure whats taking the design team of Gen Ikeda and his engineers in japan so long to release a fix ...

Mine does the same thing. The only TSB right now is for the transmission hesitation but it didnt help mine at all.
I really dont know whats going on. When I contacted Lexus headquarters they told be there was a TSB coming out
for the drone and now the service manager says there is no fix at this time. I leased mine an am so furstrated I just
want to get rid of it as it just annoys me everytime I drive it. Not the Lexus experience I was hoping for.
Old 02-13-17, 03:41 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it really excessive noise vs the old model? Had the opportunity to ride in a 2015 rx350 and IMO there is a fair bit of engine motor noise that makes it into the cabin. The 2015 cabin is nowhere near as noise isolated as my es350 or a cadillac xt5 which I recently had for a day. There isn't much by way of noise suppression...is the new RX any better. Those who have owned other models please comment.
Old 02-13-17, 09:41 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

4RX is significantly more quiet than the 3RX. However, the ride is definitely more firm in the 4RX so people might think that is sporty.
Old 02-14-17, 11:12 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

YouTube video of droning vibration noise 2017 rx 350 on cold start low RPM

this is the noise I am experiencing on cold starts even after warming engine up 10 minutes, the noise occurs on low rpm acceleration and then eventually goes away after few minutes of driving.

focus on 33-36 seconds and 54-56 seconds into the video ...
https://youtu.be/vpzkPLnv544
dealership stated Lexus is aware of the issue but no remedy and also noted on the service call that this is common characteristic of the new RX body style .... once lexus comes up with a fix, it will be fixed under warranty.
Thanks for posting this video. That is the noise I heard when I test drove the 2016 RX 350! I heard it while in the back seat as well as the driver's seat. I found it annoying and the vehicle had less than 20 miles on it. Fast forward to Feb 2017; thankfully I don't have this annoying vibration on my 2016 RX 450h. I'm not sure why, but I just don't have it. I love my Lexus so far, but I have uncovered a few minor issues. I feel certain that had I purchased the 350 vs. the 450h, I would be extremely pissed to have this vibration.
Old 02-14-17, 09:19 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

YouTube video of droning vibration noise 2017 rx 350 on cold start low RPM

this is the noise I am experiencing on cold starts even after warming engine up 10 minutes, the noise occurs on low rpm acceleration and then eventually goes away after few minutes of driving.

focus on 33-36 seconds and 54-56 seconds into the video ...
https://youtu.be/vpzkPLnv544
dealership stated Lexus is aware of the issue but no remedy and also noted on the service call that this is common characteristic of the new RX body style .... once lexus comes up with a fix, it will be fixed under warranty.
Wow. That is quite the noise. Thank goodness I don't have this problem. Sounds like a resonant vibration of some metal piece. Thanks for posting the video.
Old 02-17-17, 04:40 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 615tpc
Is it really excessive noise vs the old model? Had the opportunity to ride in a 2015 rx350 and IMO there is a fair bit of engine motor noise that makes it into the cabin. The 2015 cabin is nowhere near as noise isolated as my es350 or a cadillac xt5 which I recently had for a day. There isn't much by way of noise suppression...is the new RX any better. Those who have owned other models please comment.
No, the 2010 - 2015 RX is actually a very slightly worse. As you very rightfully stated there is a fair amount of engine noise AND VIBRATION entering the cabin of the RX. It all started with the 2004+ RX 330 (which was VERY slightly "rougher" and "noiser" than the original RX 300, which was a 6-cylinder DREAM in smoothness and quietness). The reason people did not notice it then, is because the difference was very subtle. I am a smoothness, ride-softness and refinement FANATIC. So I noticed it right away at that time, when I sat in a close friend's 2004 model.

The 2010+ models got really bad (I unknowingly bought a 2013 CPO last year, and then a few months later sold it for a $5000 loss!!! because I could not stand the engine roughness and DRONE inside the cabin.) The 2010 - 2013 models had a very bad and harsh ride as well. I took my RX several times back to the dealer and drove several loaners. They all drove the same and my research indicates that this is an EXHAUST drone designed intentionally to produce exhaust noise to sound like a sports car (or some such hogwash thought up by the "brilliant" <sarcasm> new CEO of Lexus ) .....totally unacceptable in a luxury vehicle!!

I very briefly considered moving to another brand. Even test drove a 2016 Acura MDX Advance, which is a 1000 times more refined (silky silky smooth V6 engine which you simply cannot even hear at idle). But as a loyal Lexus owner it is extremely difficult for me to move to another brand because there is absolutely NOTHING out there, even today, that comes remotely close to Lexus' BULLETPROOF RELIABILITY, which is one of THE MOST important purchase considerations for me (and should be for everyone who values their hard earned money).

In the end I still wanted to stay with Lexus and spent loads of time trying to find a model that is still reasonably refined, and I finally found one, and shockingly it has a 4 cylinder engine, for cryin out loud Yesterday, I just bought a fully optioned out (including DRCC, pre-collision, ultra-luxury package, mark levinson) CPO 2014 ES 300h, and am really happy with how smooth and quiet the powertrain is. While I realize that the torquey electric motor helps in this regard, it is nevertheless a sad day when a 4 cylinder engine is so much smoother and quieter than a 6 (FYI, I extensively test drove the new RX 450h and its gas engine has an even louder drone than the 350, and when it comes on, it is not seamless at all).
Old 02-17-17, 04:59 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

What baffles me is how most reviewers say how quiet and smooth the RX is. This is one of the noisiest vechicles I have owned
to date. Wind and road noise is actually worse than my Chevy Tahoe and the motor compared to the Tahoe is a joke.
Lexus may need to start taking tips from Chevy.
Old 02-17-17, 09:21 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by vicpai
No, the 2010 - 2015 RX is actually a very slightly worse. As you very rightfully stated there is a fair amount of engine noise AND VIBRATION entering the cabin of the RX. It all started with the 2004+ RX 330 (which was VERY slightly "rougher" and "noiser" than the original RX 300, which was a 6-cylinder DREAM in smoothness and quietness). The reason people did not notice it then, is because the difference was very subtle. I am a smoothness, ride-softness and refinement FANATIC. So I noticed it right away at that time, when I sat in a close friend's 2004 model.

The 2010+ models got really bad (I unknowingly bought a 2013 CPO last year, and then a few months later sold it for a $5000 loss!!! because I could not stand the engine roughness and DRONE inside the cabin.) The 2010 - 2013 models had a very bad and harsh ride as well. I took my RX several times back to the dealer and drove several loaners. They all drove the same and my research indicates that this is an EXHAUST drone designed intentionally to produce exhaust noise to sound like a sports car (or some such hogwash thought up by the "brilliant" <sarcasm> new CEO of Lexus ) .....totally unacceptable in a luxury vehicle!!

I very briefly considered moving to another brand. Even test drove a 2016 Acura MDX Advance, which is a 1000 times more refined (silky silky smooth V6 engine which you simply cannot even hear at idle). But as a loyal Lexus owner it is extremely difficult for me to move to another brand because there is absolutely NOTHING out there, even today, that comes remotely close to Lexus' BULLETPROOF RELIABILITY, which is one of THE MOST important purchase considerations for me (and should be for everyone who values their hard earned money).

In the end I still wanted to stay with Lexus and spent loads of time trying to find a model that is still reasonably refined, and I finally found one, and shockingly it has a 4 cylinder engine, for cryin out loud Yesterday, I just bought a fully optioned out (including DRCC, pre-collision, ultra-luxury package, mark levinson) CPO 2014 ES 300h, and am really happy with how smooth and quiet the powertrain is. While I realize that the torquey electric motor helps in this regard, it is nevertheless a sad day when a 4 cylinder engine is so much smoother and quieter than a 6 (FYI, I extensively test drove the new RX 450h and its gas engine has an even louder drone than the 350, and when it comes on, it is not seamless at all).
I had an Acura TL & it had a FANTASTIC V-6 engine, but a horrible transmission. I had to have the transmission replaced twice! I still miss that car for the sports car like steering. I looked at the RDX...can't tow anything & has crappy steering. I looked at the MDX...can only tow 1500 lbs (why bother?!), can't delete 3rd seat that I don't need, infotainment system was a confusing mess & the transmission was a complete train wreck. Acura lost my business. The RX has several downfalls, none of which are show stoppers for me & many positives (quality is still the best). Compare that to the Tahoe. The Chevy might have a refined engine, but the rest of the vehicle might fall apart around you! The Tahoe cant even come close to the fuel mileage the RX gets (at least on the 450h).

Has anyone checked with a muffler shop to see if adding a resonator would cure this drone noise? When I test drove the regular RX, it sounded like a heat shield rattle or maybe a pipe hangar vibrating. They used to add resonators to the big old cars that had had a 440 or 500 cid engine and dual exhaust, but were meant to be luxury & not a hot rod.
The following users liked this post:
tomtom74 (02-17-17)
Old 02-17-17, 10:37 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I had an Acura TL & it had a FANTASTIC V-6 engine, but a horrible transmission. I had to have the transmission replaced twice! I still miss that car for the sports car like steering. I looked at the RDX...can't tow anything & has crappy steering. I looked at the MDX...can only tow 1500 lbs (why bother?!), can't delete 3rd seat that I don't need, infotainment system was a confusing mess & the transmission was a complete train wreck. Acura lost my business. The RX has several downfalls, none of which are show stoppers for me & many positives (quality is still the best). Compare that to the Tahoe. The Chevy might have a refined engine, but the rest of the vehicle might fall apart around you! The Tahoe cant even come close to the fuel mileage the RX gets (at least on the 450h).

Has anyone checked with a muffler shop to see if adding a resonator would cure this drone noise? When I test drove the regular RX, it sounded like a heat shield rattle or maybe a pipe hangar vibrating. They used to add resonators to the big old cars that had had a 440 or 500 cid engine and dual exhaust, but were meant to be luxury & not a hot rod.
I think you need to go drive a 2017 Tahoe, I drive them both and believe me there is no comparison.
The Tahoe is more refined in every way and has excellent reliability. I can be unbiased since I own both.
Old 02-17-17, 10:59 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I think you need to go drive a 2017 Tahoe, I drive them both and believe me there is no comparison.
The Tahoe is more refined in every way and has excellent reliability. I can be unbiased since I own both.
I know there are some good Tahoes out there, but overall, they are pretty bad. Read what Consumer Reports has to say:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...orst/75275986/

Consumeraffairs.com didn't have much better things to say:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...csYJtU--VbwIfw
The following users liked this post:
tomtom74 (02-17-17)

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration