RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 01:01 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I know there are some good Tahoes out there, but overall, they are pretty bad. Read what Consumer Reports has to say:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...orst/75275986/

Consumeraffairs.com didn't have much better things to say:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...csYJtU--VbwIfw
Your probably one of the lucky ones that doesn't have Drone or Vibration. If you drove mine I guarantee you would change you tune. There are almost 40 pages of complaints about this.
So being one of the lucky ones doesn't say to much for Lexus quality. My previous Tahoe I owned for 6 years and never had any issues.
Lexus, three problems in three months. I will never be sold on Lexus regardless of any reviews. I go by personal experience. Again this is just my personal opinion after owning many Chevys and only one lexus.
Old 02-17-17, 01:09 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Your probably one of the lucky ones that doesn't have Drone or Vibration. If you drove mine I guarantee you would change you tune. There are almost 40 pages of complaints about this.
So being one of the lucky ones doesn't say to much for Lexus quality. My previous Tahoe I owned for 6 years and never had any issues.
Lexus, three problems in three months. I will never be sold on Lexus regardless of any reviews. I go by personal experience. Again this is just my personal opinion after owning many Chevys and only one lexus.
40 pages thread doesn't make it 40 pages of complaints.
The following users liked this post:
tomtom74 (02-17-17)
Old 02-17-17, 01:50 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Go back to Chevy than. Case Solved.
Old 02-17-17, 02:45 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tomtom74
Go back to Chevy than. Case Solved.
Absolutely, my Chevy Tahoe is a keeper. The Lexus is going back as soon as the lease is up maybe sooner.
All depends on how much drone and vibration I can put up with.
I really feel bad for all the other members that are dealing with this issue, its just not right.
I have been crawling under this car almost every day moving these stupid exhaust dampers
trying to eleveate the vibration and drone somthing I should not be doing on a high end car.
Just goes to show you, just because you stamp Lexus on it doesn't make it better. Enough said.
Old 02-17-17, 06:37 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What baffles me is how most reviewers say how quiet and smooth the RX is. This is one of the noisiest vechicles I have owned
to date. Wind and road noise is actually worse than my Chevy Tahoe and the motor compared to the Tahoe is a joke.
Lexus may need to start taking tips from Chevy.
My experience in general is that GM vehicles are very well noise isolated whereas Toyota and Lexus skimp on it. My Impala exhaust can resonate If it wants but not much enters into the cabin. Hit the gas and engine rpms are nicely muffled. It may be that certain consumers prefer to listen to more engine/transmission/ exhaust sounds. Not me.
Old 02-19-17, 06:34 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I listened to the noise that someone posted. That is not normal. The vibration is something not put together properly. There is no way that this is how any new car should sound. I don't know what it is but would have the car in the dealership everyday till they fixed it.

The drone sound I think is something different. My 2 cents is the car is programmed to run at such a low RPM you get the drone. I hear it occasionally but nothing too bad to worry about it.
pkumar1981 (02-24-17)
Old 02-19-17, 12:48 PM
StephyKay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pkumar1981
YouTube video of droning vibration noise 2017 rx 350 on cold start low RPM

this is the noise I am experiencing on cold starts even after warming engine up 10 minutes, the noise occurs on low rpm acceleration and then eventually goes away after few minutes of driving.

focus on 33-36 seconds and 54-56 seconds into the video ...
https://youtu.be/vpzkPLnv544
dealership stated Lexus is aware of the issue but no remedy and also noted on the service call that this is common characteristic of the new RX body style .... once lexus comes up with a fix, it will be fixed under warranty.
I have been considering buying a 17 model but this would be a deal breaker for me. That is really annoying when you consider the price tag of the vehicle. What a shame!
Old 02-19-17, 04:16 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The noise I hear at certain RPM's is not a metallic noise like the video. It is a low bassy noise . It does not sound like metal vibrating on metal. It is a low pitch drone noise.
Old 02-19-17, 05:28 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What I heard growing up:
1. Chevys are great trucks and Fords and Dodges are pieces of crap.
2. Fords are great trucks and Chevys and Dodges are pieces of crap.
3. Dodges are great trucks and Fords and Chevys are pieces of crap.

...still hearing the same stuff today...
tomtom74 (02-20-17)
Old 02-20-17, 06:24 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the latest data I could find is that in 2006, the survival rate of light trucks that were sold and registered 11-15 years ago was Honda (95 percent), Toyota (80 percent), Chevrolet (74 percent). That's still 10 year old data so I would love to see the latest if someone has it. Having owned both chevs and Toyotas over 30 years I would say the difference has more to do with maintenance than manufacturing defects. However I will say that Toyotas had fewer component failures and more design defects I.e not warrantable defects.

The elusive vehicle I am looking for is something that handles and drives like an Audi, has the interior luxury and reliability of a Lexus, and the easily/cheap available parts of a chev 10 years down the road.
Old 02-20-17, 03:44 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 615tpc
Well the latest data I could find is that in 2006, the survival rate of light trucks that were sold and registered 11-15 years ago was Honda (95 percent), Toyota (80 percent), Chevrolet (74 percent). That's still 10 year old data so I would love to see the latest if someone has it. Having owned both chevs and Toyotas over 30 years I would say the difference has more to do with maintenance than manufacturing defects. However I will say that Toyotas had fewer component failures and more design defects I.e not warrantable defects.

The elusive vehicle I am looking for is something that handles and drives like an Audi, has the interior luxury and reliability of a Lexus, and the easily/cheap available parts of a chev 10 years down the road.
Test drive the new 2017 GMC Acadia, I think you will be surprised.
Old 02-20-17, 03:58 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Test drive the new 2017 GMC Acadia, I think you will be surprised.
Who care about Chevy or GMC. This is a Lexus Forums.
pkumar1981 (02-24-17)
Old 02-20-17, 04:59 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tomtom74
Who care about Chevy or GMC. This is a Lexus Forums.

No need to get defensive, 615tcp is looking for in his words.

Just my suggestion, it's clearly not the Lexus.
Old 02-20-17, 05:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Time to get back on topic. Any more non-related posts will be removed.
pkumar1981 (02-24-17)
Old 02-20-17, 05:59 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

No need to get defensive, 615tcp is looking for in his words.

Just my suggestion, it's clearly not the Lexus.
No vehicle will fit your bill. Such autyomobile does not exist yet, the perfect one of anything in any field.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration