RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 06:29 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
No vehicle will fit your bill. Such autyomobile does not exist yet, the perfect one of anything in any field.
Any Lexus even RX can be so much more and still be reliable. I'm quite impressed with what they've done to their lineup especially ES and RX. I've been burned once with a Lexus so I will very carefully consider their next offering in this segment.
Old 02-20-17, 08:16 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 615tpc
Any Lexus even RX can be so much more and still be reliable. I'm quite impressed with what they've done to their lineup especially ES and RX. I've been burned once with a Lexus so I will very carefully consider their next offering in this segment.
Because Lexus runs their engines conservatively not like Audi or Bimmer or even Acura, they wring out maximum potential. Comparing spec. sheets confirm it.
That is one reason those cars have more issues. To make them run in peak performance little something going off or worn out can cause problems. As such
maintenance regimen is accordingly adhered to. There are two kind of vehicle owners. One is driver, the other is an operator. Drivers know their cars very well like
the car is part of their body. Most seems to be the operators vs. driver. I was involved with teaching 12V mobile electronics at local tech. school as volunteer. Lot of
mechanics these days don't possess good basics on electronics. Nowadays electronics is big part of any automobiles. Now European cars may do away with limited
slip dirrerentials. Electronics control system will replaced that heavy bundle of steel gears.
Old 02-21-17, 02:53 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Because Lexus runs their engines conservatively not like Audi or Bimmer or even Acura, they wring out maximum potential. Comparing spec. sheets confirm it.
That is one reason those cars have more issues. To make them run in peak performance little something going off or worn out can cause problems. As such
maintenance regimen is accordingly adhered to. There are two kind of vehicle owners. One is driver, the other is an operator. Drivers know their cars very well like
the car is part of their body. Most seems to be the operators vs. driver. I was involved with teaching 12V mobile electronics at local tech. school as volunteer. Lot of
mechanics these days don't possess good basics on electronics. Nowadays electronics is big part of any automobiles. Now European cars may do away with limited
slip dirrerentials. Electronics control system will replaced that heavy bundle of steel gears.
i agree with a fair bit of what you say. Indeed Lexus makes careful introductions of new tech and shares platforms and engines with Toyota to achieve cost savings and benefit from tried and tested designs. All good IMO. But I don't think it is engine performance where they need to improve. I don't see many people zipping around town doing 0-60 times in 6 seconds, it is just numbers on paper for bragging rights.. I have a luxury car that beats 6 seconds and I never do it.

What matters to me is a comfortable and quiet cabin, decent handling and oversized rotors /calipers for emergency manoeuvres, a suspension that can at least handle what the engine dishes out, and long term repair costs to keep it running I.e used or third party car parts at low cost. Lexus could easily achieve these without affecting reliability. For sure the weight of the car might increase a bit. Except for high reliability and awesome interiors, I'm not convinced that the RX does any of these things exceptionally well.

IMO this excessive noise and vibration wouldn't even be an issue if the RX had sufficient and Buick-like noise dampening materials. As a car gets older it is going to make new and different noises that don't always mean a part has failed, best to filter them out the old fashioned way for years of driving satisfaction.

Last edited by 615tpc; 02-21-17 at 03:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 615tpc:
donmatt (02-21-17), Equistat11 (03-15-17)
Old 02-22-17, 03:35 AM
Andersaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevemcb
The noise I hear at certain RPM's is not a metallic noise like the video. It is a low bassy noise . It does not sound like metal vibrating on metal. It is a low pitch drone noise.
That sounds like my 450h. Low pitch rumbling at low speed and next to no trottle at 1050RPM. Much like a helicopter passing above. I consider this is the engine vibrating and putting the exhaust in resonance vibration.Have had it to the dealer twice. Second time, they testdrove two new cars and two customers cars, all RX450h. They verified the noise on all four, and has opened a case With Lexus Europe.
Old 02-22-17, 04:49 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Andersaa
That sounds like my 450h. Low pitch rumbling at low speed and next to no trottle at 1050RPM. Much like a helicopter passing above. I consider this is the engine vibrating and putting the exhaust in resonance vibration.Have had it to the dealer twice. Second time, they testdrove two new cars and two customers cars, all RX450h. They verified the noise on all four, and has opened a case With Lexus Europe.
Sorry to hear your having the problem too. Seems like more and more owners are experiencing this annoying sound
which totally takes away from the Lexus driving experience we were hoping for when purchasing this vehicle.
I have been very verbal here on this forum regarding this issue hoping someone from Lexus would be reading this
post. This is a beautiful vehicle which I could be very happy with if Lexus would stop saying we are working on a fix
an actually come up with one. I just think this vibration/Drone goes deeper than just the exhaust. Could be why there
has been no fix. To me they are just SLOWLY distroying their reputation as a super refined high end vehicle.
Old 02-22-17, 07:47 AM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Sorry to hear your having the problem too. Seems like more and more owners are experiencing this annoying sound
which totally takes away from the Lexus driving experience we were hoping for when purchasing this vehicle.
I have been very verbal here on this forum regarding this issue hoping someone from Lexus would be reading this
post. This is a beautiful vehicle which I could be very happy with if Lexus would stop saying we are working on a fix
an actually come up with one. I just think this vibration/Drone goes deeper than just the exhaust. Could be why there
has been no fix. To me they are just SLOWLY distroying their reputation as a super refined high end vehicle.
I have pretty much given up on this issue as the case manager called and claimed the Tech heard the droning noise but not the vibration. Lexus wanted me to call the tech and confirm the vibration with another appointment. This is such a hassle and when I called and left message, Tech never called back. Why bother if there is no fix, just wasting everyone's time.
Old 02-22-17, 12:21 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KenwK
I have pretty much given up on this issue as the case manager called and claimed the Tech heard the droning noise but not the vibration. Lexus wanted me to call the tech and confirm the vibration with another appointment. This is such a hassle and when I called and left message, Tech never called back. Why bother if there is no fix, just wasting everyone's time.
I agree 100% I actually tried the Lexus buy back program. Several weeks later I was denied because I didn't have enough
documentation. How many times do they want me to go back to the dealer when they tell me they acknowledge the problem
but there is nothing we can do. So yeah I have given up too. Probably what Lexus is thinking, after a while people will just get
fed up and drop the issue.
Old 02-22-17, 04:11 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree 100% I actually tried the Lexus buy back program. Several weeks later I was denied because I didn't have enough
documentation. How many times do they want me to go back to the dealer when they tell me they acknowledge the problem
but there is nothing we can do. So yeah I have given up too. Probably what Lexus is thinking, after a while people will just get
fed up and drop the issue.
i feel you are absolutely correct concerning what you feel Lexus IS thinking. However, one thing Lexus may be forgetting (or not
concerned due to their arrogance) about is the fact that many of these frustrated owners may not be returning to buy another Lexus vehicle. Just does not make sense for a long term decision on their part. Very sad. This RX could be one of their finest
lf this problem was corrected.
The following users liked this post:
mccutcj (02-25-17)
Old 02-23-17, 05:46 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have posted several comments about excessive vibration related to my 2016 RX350. I was wrong. Why? I thought that there was a problem but as I put more miles on the vehicle I discovered that there was no "excessive vibration". After driving 1000 miles to Florida in two days I varied the speed and there was not vibration. We put another 1000 miles on several trips in Florida , no vibration was evident. This vehicle is quiet, comfortable, easy to handle, and the MPG was very good. I can't explain my initial reaction to the vibration but that's on me. I continue to vary my speeds in order to determine if the "excessive vibration" exists. It does not. So, I am happy with the vehicle.
Old 02-23-17, 06:27 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cec327
I have posted several comments about excessive vibration related to my 2016 RX350. I was wrong. Why? I thought that there was a problem but as I put more miles on the vehicle I discovered that there was no "excessive vibration". After driving 1000 miles to Florida in two days I varied the speed and there was not vibration. We put another 1000 miles on several trips in Florida , no vibration was evident. This vehicle is quiet, comfortable, easy to handle, and the MPG was very good. I can't explain my initial reaction to the vibration but that's on me. I continue to vary my speeds in order to determine if the "excessive vibration" exists. It does not. So, I am happy with the vehicle.
CEC327' Exhaust notes will change as the insulation in the muffler starts to age. I learned this with several muscle cars I've owned over the years. In your case, sounds like it got better, I have had no change in my 3k miles. The vibration if caused by
the drone should also improvre.. A simple test, If you leave your car in park an slowly rev the motor like mine you will feel and hear a drone starting about 1200rpms and peaks at 1500rpms. If you hear and feel nothing, than your problem has corrected itself. I also have noticed this vehicle is very dependent on outside temperature. The motor is quite rough in 30 degree and below temps. Whats interesting on mine is the drone only starts when the vehicle is at full operating temperature. It appears
the transmission acts differently and goes into a higher gear much sooner when hot.
Old 02-24-17, 04:54 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

CEC327' Exhaust notes will change as the insulation in the muffler starts to age. I learned this with several muscle cars I've owned over the years. In your case, sounds like it got better, I have had no change in my 3k miles. The vibration if caused by
the drone should also improvre.. A simple test, If you leave your car in park an slowly rev the motor like mine you will feel and hear a drone starting about 1200rpms and peaks at 1500rpms. If you hear and feel nothing, than your problem has corrected itself. I also have noticed this vehicle is very dependent on outside temperature. The motor is quite rough in 30 degree and below temps. Whats interesting on mine is the drone only starts when the vehicle is at full operating temperature. It appears
the transmission acts differently and goes into a higher gear much sooner when hot.
I really appreciate your answer. I have never heard a " drone" and the vibration was more in the gas pedal than in the steering wheel. Also, when the car is started there is a very slight vibration which dissipates after the vehicle reaches normal operating temperature. I am certain that my wife is getting tired of hearing me say that I can't feel a vibration and varying my speed to constantly prove that no vibration exists. I believe that my behavior could be described a obsessive - compulsive.
Outside temperature-- where we are in FL the day time temperatures have been mid 70's to mid 80's.
Again, thanks for you input.

Last edited by cec327; 02-24-17 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-24-17, 07:59 AM
Equistat11
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. PLEASE READ

I actually started the Lemon law process. Diane Hoffman told me that the Lemon Law is in progress however
there are two TSB's regarding the drone. Her exact words were one will be released almost immediately and
the other will be in two weeks. So if the car is repaired to your satisfaction you do not have to proceed with the
lemon law. I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO CALL 1 800 25 LEXUS TO VERIFY THIS INFORMATION.
Ask for Diane Hoffman It will also look better if more people complain.
Those in-the process, upcoming, soon-to-be, almost there TSB release announcements in regards to the well-documented Drone and Excessive Exhaust Vibration issues, have been made perennially for the past 5 to 6 months now, as witnessed on this board alone. Yet, none has ever materialized.

Rumors of these TSB seem to originate in conversations between Lexus Corp. and dissatisfied Lexus owners. But, never at any of the dealership's service departments, however.

This rumor of last, seemingly spread by Diane Hoffman this time around, has again been refuted by three Service Department Managers in the Northeast region this past week alone... and again once more today by the one Lexus technician (District FTS) present at my dealership located in NY this morning.

The timing of those phantom TSB rumors is rather interesting. Several never-to-materialize TSB have been announced, and showing up on this site whenever the tone of discontent from complaining owners has been reaching a relatively high pitch level. The effect is quite noticeable. The pitch and tone of complaints readily decreases, as everyone seems to be catching their breath in hope of having finally been heard. A remedy is coming!!...

Yet, those "in-the process, upcoming, soon-to-be, almost-there TSB release announcements" NEVER materialize.

Coincidence? You'll be the judge...

Experience is a good teacher. Don't give up too quickly on your complaint until you have a tangible positive answer with a real fix from your Lexus Dealership Service Department Manager. You are entitled to it.
Old 02-24-17, 10:41 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I feel like this is partially my fault for posting what was passed on to me by Diane Hoffman of Lexus. Since than I have tried to reach out to her for an update. All I get is she cant be reached she's in a meeting. Never a call back, I don't know what's
going on as she was so adamant that a fix was going to be released in two weeks. I guess she gave me a line of bull to get me off her back. This is the kind of service that will stop me from being a repeat customer, that's about all I can do.
They have denied my claim for a buy back because its not a safety issue and I did not bring it back to the dealer enough times. She knew how many times I brought it back so why did she encourage me to go that route. There is something really
strange about this situation.
Old 02-25-17, 08:05 AM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service techs clueless

Originally Posted by 615tpc
I was thinking of trading my car to get an rx350. Love the interior and Lexus quality feel. But this issue is unnerving.

my Lexus dealer sales people deny there is any issue.
funny, my service advisor told me, they discovered the vibration on a test drive of my vehicle, and test drove three of their loaners and statement to me was "the noise is common characteristic of the "new" RX body style", and second sentence on my service receipt was "lexus is aware of the issue, when a remedy is available, it will be covered under warranty." the two sentences somewhat oxymoron from these morons....
Old 02-27-17, 09:06 AM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure this will help others but I did compare my RX's noise level between using regular 87 vs. 92 gas. For me, putting 92 gas does lower the noise level somewhat. At least with 92 gas, my co workers no longer ask me " is my RX broken?". YMMV

Last edited by KenwK; 02-27-17 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration