RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 01:44 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
Some of the non F-Sport models are indeed made in the Japan. I would imagine that Japan also assembles the RX 200t sold in international markets.
That's cool! Would love it if mine was made in Japan. Just a better feeling.
Old 03-10-17, 09:54 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
does the vin start with 2T or J? I test drive a few 2017. Some had the drone and some didn't. I sure Lexus didn't make any changes to the 2017.
VIN begins with 2T
Old 03-15-17, 07:37 AM
Equistat11
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbclt
Did you try reaching out to a Customer Satisfaction executive at Lexus corporate (not the support personal you would get on a call but somebody higher up in the executive management)? Please IM me if you need the contact details.
Hello RBCLT : Could you please communicate these coordinates for folks like myself who are trying to motivate our local Service Department/ Service Techs to implement those fixes? Thank you kindly.
Old 03-15-17, 07:40 AM
Equistat11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pkumar1981
Always used premium gas as the car is a purchase - regardless of whats recommended ... still getting this sound i noticed it continues even after driving for 20 min ... it gets minimized but still a pain to deal with on a vehicle thats 50+K
I did not notice any difference, either in the DRONE or in the EXHAUST VIBRATIONS, using higher octane gasolines.
Old 03-15-17, 08:16 AM
Equistat11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Sorry to hear your having the problem too. Seems like more and more owners are experiencing this annoying sound
which totally takes away from the Lexus driving experience we were hoping for when purchasing this vehicle.
I have been very verbal here on this forum regarding this issue hoping someone from Lexus would be reading this
post. This is a beautiful vehicle which I could be very happy with if Lexus would stop saying we are working on a fix
an actually come up with one. I just think this vibration/Drone goes deeper than just the exhaust. Could be why there
has been no fix. To me they are just SLOWLY distroying their reputation as a super refined high end vehicle.
I agree. There are 2 DISTINCT NOISES/ VIBRATIONS, each one originating from a different location, and also manifesting at different engine RPMs :

1. LOUD TONAL DRONE originating from the front of the car (engine/ manifold?) which is prevalent below 2, 200 RPM on my 2017

2. EXHAUST VIBRATIONS which become ever so obvious when the DRONE disappears above 2, 200 RPM; it is localized mid- to back of the vehicle.

Having driven a sizable amount of AND a wide variety of Lexus vehicles for over 20 years(as well as specifically owned 5 RX over the past 12 years) I can attest that these are NOT normal issues by any of Lexus' previous standards, engineering and production-wise.

If history serves us well, the same could be said about the way these problems are being (mis)handled by Lexus Dealership Customer Service and Service Techs.

From my experience, there is a great deal of misinformation, hesitation, lack of transparency and accountability demonstrated from Lexus Dealerships Techs, Factory Techs AND Lexus Corporate Customer Service. All are doing a fairly good job at muddling the waters, and avoiding to address the issue(s) head-on.

Perhaps it is time for a class-action intervention.
Old 03-15-17, 01:53 PM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would very much like the higher contact number. The lower tier individuals stated the vehicle was in normal operating perameters and the majority of us know normal is not acceptable.
Old 03-16-17, 10:59 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominique
I agree. There are 2 DISTINCT NOISES/ VIBRATIONS, each one originating from a different location, and also manifesting at different engine RPMs :

1. LOUD TONAL DRONE originating from the front of the car (engine/ manifold?) which is prevalent below 2, 200 RPM on my 2017

2. EXHAUST VIBRATIONS which become ever so obvious when the DRONE disappears above 2, 200 RPM; it is localized mid- to back of the vehicle.

Having driven a sizable amount of AND a wide variety of Lexus vehicles for over 20 years(as well as specifically owned 5 RX over the past 12 years) I can attest that these are NOT normal issues by any of Lexus' previous standards, engineering and production-wise.

If history serves us well, the same could be said about the way these problems are being (mis)handled by Lexus Dealership Customer Service and Service Techs.

From my experience, there is a great deal of misinformation, hesitation, lack of transparency and accountability demonstrated from Lexus Dealerships Techs, Factory Techs AND Lexus Corporate Customer Service. All are doing a fairly good job at muddling the waters, and avoiding to address the issue(s) head-on.

Perhaps it is time for a class-action intervention.

I just received my official notice from Lexus that they denied my claim for replacement. Whats interesting is the paper work said that the service Dept said "vehicle operating up to spec". When I had the car in the service Dept. the service Manager acknowledges the Drone/Vibration and said that some happen to be worse than others. So how could mine be operating up to spec. Must be a pretty wide spec. I absolutely hate Lexus as a company and will do everything I can so no one I know buys a Lexus.
Old 04-01-17, 08:04 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why so quite in here lately? Lexus Is doing a good job of shutting us up.
Old 04-02-17, 02:59 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

There really isn't much left we can do but to keep complaining. I've certainly done my share.
Some time this month I will be having a Lexus Master Tech look at more car. However I was
told there is no magic fix, its just to gather information from my particular car. Maybe the info
from mine will help with a resolution. I gather from this forum that some of us are experiencing
this and others aren't. There has to be a difference somewhere, maybe Lexus already knows
but to fix it the right way is to costly.
Old 04-02-17, 05:04 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 561 Likes on 399 Posts

There really isn't much left we can do but to keep complaining. I've certainly done my share.
Some time this month I will be having a Lexus Master Tech look at more car. However I was
told there is no magic fix, its just to gather information from my particular car. Maybe the info
from mine will help with a resolution. I gather from this forum that some of us are experiencing
this and others aren't. There has to be a difference somewhere, maybe Lexus already knows
but to fix it the right way is to costly.
The ECU update did not improve youthe condition on your car? It made a huge difference in mine.
Old 04-02-17, 05:17 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
The ECU update did not improve youthe condition on your car? It made a huge difference in mine.
ECU update did nothing for my issue. I dont have a hesitation issue at all. My issue is more vibration at 1500 rpms.
The car always seems to settle out at that RPM range. I dont know if this is just my car doing this or Im just more senstive
to it. If anyone gets a chance, start your car leave it in park and slowly rev the motor to around 1500 RPMs. I get a Very noticable drone and vibration at that RPM. I would really appreciate if a few members would try this. Please let me know as this could be just an issue with my car.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 04-02-17, 06:10 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 561 Likes on 399 Posts

I also had the vibration issue. There is a resonating vibration that might hit is natural frequency around 1500 rpm. Before the update the car used to stay in that rpm range during light acceleration. After the update it seems that the car keeps the gears low to keep the rpm around 2000 during light acceleration. This seems to have reduced the vibrating.
Old 04-02-17, 12:46 PM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Why so quite in here lately? Lexus Is doing a good job of shutting us up.
there's only so much I can do. All I know is unless they fix the issue, once the lease is up Lexus will mever see a single cent from me. They can be damn sure I'll actively discourage everyone from getting a Lexus.
Old 04-02-17, 01:36 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ECU update did nothing for my issue. I dont have a hesitation issue at all. My issue is more vibration at 1500 rpms.
The car always seems to settle out at that RPM range. I dont know if this is just my car doing this or Im just more senstive
to it. If anyone gets a chance, start your car leave it in park and slowly rev the motor to around 1500 RPMs. I get a Very noticable drone and vibration at that RPM. I would really appreciate if a few members would try this. Please let me know as this could be just an issue with my car.

Thanks,
Tony
i tried this on my 16' RX and didn't notice any drone or vibration. The only time when I really notice the drone is if I quickly step on a gas from a completely stop. The drone is not that bad but more like a sport car exhaust noise. I tried to duplicate this notice several time but was not successful.
Old 04-02-17, 02:07 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by clickart
i tried this on my 16' RX and didn't notice any drone or vibration. The only time when I really notice the drone is if I quickly step on a gas from a completely stop. The drone is not that bad but more like a sport car exhaust noise. I tried to duplicate this notice several time but was not successful.
Thank you for trying that. I guess they all aren't experiencing the vibration the way mine does.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration