RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 04:19 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noise

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Thank you for trying that. I guess they all aren't experiencing the vibration the way mine does.
In reading all of the posts on this topic it appears that "excessive noise is in the ear of the be-hear-er"
Old 04-03-17, 07:53 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Got a 2017 loaner and guess what?
That car didn't have any kind of hesitation and the transmission was shifting smooth.
In fact it was driving so good that at times I thought I am driving my 15 model RX.
Also the drone noise was very minimal. It was not a regular occurrence as mine, but randomly giving a slight groan.
And here I am thinking what is going on with Lexus? Are they just playing with us customers?
This means that not all the cars are defective. Yes all of us that are complaining about this have defective vehicles.
Thank You.
Old 04-04-17, 08:29 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymk
That car didn't have any kind of hesitation and the transmission was shifting smooth.
In fact it was driving so good that at times I thought I am driving my 15 model RX.
Also the drone noise was very minimal. It was not a regular occurrence as mine, but randomly giving a slight groan.
And here I am thinking what is going on with Lexus? Are they just playing with us customers?
This means that not all the cars are defective. Yes all of us that are complaining about this have defective vehicles.
Thank You.
Thats exactly what I have been saying all along. There is a reason some of us are having this issues and others are not.
The way Lexus handles this is a true test of the company. So far I am extremely disappointed with Lexus as they keep
telling me the vehicle is performing up to spec. That most be one wide spec. I far as I am concerned my car is defective.
I will keep complaing until I get rid of it or by some miricale they actually fix it. I so wish I could get my smooth Dodge
Challenger back which I traded in for this. Three years with that car and not one issue. Dodge and Chevy have come a long
way, looks like Lexus is going in reverse.
Old 04-04-17, 12:24 PM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Why so quite in here lately? Lexus Is doing a good job of shutting us up.
Pretty much given up, new update not applicable to my RX as it is too new. I will vote with my $$ on my next car that's for sure.
Old 04-04-17, 06:38 PM
clwu
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymk
I felt the same way about the loaner they gave me when my car was in for the transmission TSB. After the TSB, I can say my car drives just like the loaner you mentioned, if not better. I think drone noise was from transmission getting stuck at weird shifting points. now it shifts at adequate points.
Old 04-05-17, 08:47 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by clwu
I felt the same way about the loaner they gave me when my car was in for the transmission TSB. After the TSB, I can say my car drives just like the loaner you mentioned, if not better. I think drone noise was from transmission getting stuck at weird shifting points. now it shifts at adequate points.
I'm just speculating, but perhaps this is the reason why my RX 450h doesn't have the drone, because it uses a CVT...
Old 04-05-17, 04:21 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

sadly not for me. I actually HAVE the drone noise now after the tsb. Lexus has totally dropped the ball on this.
Old 04-05-17, 05:01 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by s4iscool
sadly not for me. I actually HAVE the drone noise now after the tsb. Lexus has totally dropped the ball on this.
Have you called and opened a case. The more of us that call and complain the better the chances of a fix.
Old 04-05-17, 08:18 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Have you called and opened a case. The more of us that call and complain the better the chances of a fix.
only worked with my dealer and I'm done wasting time with them telling me I'm nuts and there's no issue and then them realizing there's a tsb addressing exactly my issue. Sadly then the tsb doesn't work. Done with Lexus after this car.
Old 04-05-17, 10:11 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A ray of hope !
One more thing to add,
The loaner was actually giving superb gas mileage without any efforts.
The RPM was right at 2rpm while driving at 80mph. On a very windy, rainy and not so friendly driving conditions I averaged 25mpg on a long 2 hour trip.
That is a 2WD. May be some of you can put some light on it.
Thank You.
Old 04-07-17, 04:11 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I finally have a confirmed appt. on April 24 for a Master Tech from Lexus to luck at my car.
This is my last attempt to resolve this issue. If nothing comes out of it, I just go back to Chevy/Dodge.
Cant see the point in paying all this extra money for a Lexus when I feel like I got a Kia.
Old 04-07-17, 08:58 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally have a confirmed appt. on April 24 for a Master Tech from Lexus to luck at my car.
This is my last attempt to resolve this issue. If nothing comes out of it, I just go back to Chevy/Dodge.
Cant see the point in paying all this extra money for a Lexus when I feel like I got a Kia.
Kia probably don't drone and vibrate. They just don't go pass 200k miles without major work. But then again, My Honda Pilot didn't either
Old 04-07-17, 09:22 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Kia probably don't drone and vibrate. They just don't go pass 200k miles without major work. But then again, My Honda Pilot didn't either
most modern cars are quite reliable. Especially the Japanese and Korean manufactures. Sadly I have driven a friends Hyundai Sonata plug in and it's incredibly refined and the transmission is smooth even between the electric and combustion engine. The Lexus transmission reminds me of the crappy Honda 9 speed which has been throughly derided too.
Old 04-08-17, 06:11 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

most modern cars are quite reliable. Especially the Japanese and Korean manufactures. Sadly I have driven a friends Hyundai Sonata plug in and it's incredibly refined and the transmission is smooth even between the electric and combustion engine. The Lexus transmission reminds me of the crappy Honda 9 speed which has been throughly derided too.
Agreed, I had a Chrysler 300 with an 8 speed auto and a 3.6l V 6. So much smoother than my Lexus.
Lexus combination of this transmission and engine is just a bad design. I think we are just stuck with it.
That said, the other day someone asked me how I like my Lexus cause he was thinking of buying one.
I simply said I would definitely NOT buy it again.
Old 04-08-17, 05:37 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad that my new Honda Ridgeline don't have 9 speed. I've heard people had to get a new 9speed with just 20k miles. At least Honda cover it under warranty, instead of telling their customers it's normal.

Speaking of smooth and refined. My ridgeline drive and handle so much better than my old POS 2017 RX450h. It's a shame that a $40k Honda truck is more advanced and smooth than a $60k Lexus. I really wanted to like the Lexus. But I could not live with the drone/vibration.

Last edited by s2000zr; 04-08-17 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration