RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 12:37 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

We've had the 2017 RX FSport couple weeks now.
I am struggling to feel the vibration/hesitation issue being discussed.
While the extra gears do seem to get in the way compared to 2010RX, and the quicker acceleration of our NX turbo, too many variables.
Turned off radio last night and really tried to hear drone and make it hesitate under different conditions.
Each car is wonderful and exciting in their own way.
RX is smooth, luxurious and elegant.
NX is quick and nimble with lots of road feel.. Much easier to park!
Hard to decide which one to drive.

Have we ruled out FSport vs Base model on the vibration, drone, hesitation issue?
Have we ruled out AWD vs FWD?

i test drove the actual car purchased to ensure no hesitation and no rattles like previous two RX.

One thing for sure: love the NX 6 speed vs RX 8 speed.
Old 04-18-17, 01:09 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Anyone notice that the drone / vibration is less with the warmer weather. Now the the temps are in the 70's here in NY
I'm noticing less drone and vibration. I have an appt. on the 24th for a master tech from lexus to look into my issue.
This comes at the worst time, all winter the vibration was driving me nuts. Now the service tech is going to think I'm nuts.
I finally got someone higher than the service manager to look at it and its running the best since I purchased it back in November. Figures.........
Old 04-18-17, 01:59 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

• I dumped 2016 Acura MDX after 2 months ownership. Their 9 speed ZDF tranny had those issues. To minimize the effect had to drive in sports mode all the time. After TSB came out(f/w update) still problem was there, not completely resolved. Then rear suspension thumping. They changed a few things in addition to new tranny in the name of weight reduction and for better MPG. I was not impressed and traded the car in for a BMW X5. Then RX450h. One thing it
  • may be affected by weather (temperature) is due to the dog clutch in new trannies. It is hydraulic clutch. When cold I'd think hydraulic oil does not flow freely
  • cause sluggish clutch problem. Learned lesson finally, never buy new generation first year model cars. I am one who hates to visit dealership for buying or servicing my car. Since I picked up the '15 (last year for 2nd gen.) CPO RX450h, no problem other than 2 oil changes.

Last edited by Htony; 04-19-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 05:50 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Anyone notice that the drone / vibration is less with the warmer weather. Now the the temps are in the 70's here in NY
I'm noticing less drone and vibration. I have an appt. on the 24th for a master tech from lexus to look into my issue.
This comes at the worst time, all winter the vibration was driving me nuts. Now the service tech is going to think I'm nuts.
I finally got someone higher than the service manager to look at it and its running the best since I purchased it back in November. Figures.........
After reading your post yesterday, I paid close attention to the drone last night and this morning. I live in the south where is 60s at night and 80s during the day. My garage is in the upper 70s. I have noticed a significant reduction in drone now that it is warm.
Old 04-19-17, 11:45 AM
qubit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RX is a mixed pot. Vibrations that come and go - sometimes totally disappear with warmer weather, droning at high speeds, confused transmission that does not know if i want to accelerate or coast and last but not least ... dismal MPG.

.. a truly disappointed lexus fan.
Old 04-19-17, 07:06 PM
nurmik92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing here, we bought our 2016 RX350 in July of 2016, I traded my '15 gs350 for that piece of ******! Took it to adealer 4 times no help at all for them there is no noise at all! Noise when take off or when driving slow and then trying to gain some speed its very loud and vibrates before it gets to 2000 rpm. Also vibrates when driving for example 60 mph and then pressing gas a little to keep the speed!
Fukien hate this car!!!
Can't wait to trade it in!!!
First and last RX ever.
Old 04-22-17, 06:32 AM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
None of them start with J as J stands for made in Japan. They are all made in Canada.

2016 F SPORT drone issues 10% of the time but not enough to be bothersome. No vibration as well. Love the car. It's not ALL bad.

Because you are in CA. If you are in Northeast area, and temp is low, you will hear the drone and feel the vibration.
All the RX350 loaner (about 8 times, in two dealers) drone and vibrate in winter time.

When you are test driving, the sales always warm up the car, so the drone is not that intense.
I can not imagine why people buy RX350.

RX450h is much better in terms of this problem.

Last edited by pdaeng; 04-22-17 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 06:36 AM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed, I had a Chrysler 300 with an 8 speed auto and a 3.6l V 6. So much smoother than my Lexus.
Lexus combination of this transmission and engine is just a bad design. I think we are just stuck with it.
That said, the other day someone asked me how I like my Lexus cause he was thinking of buying one.
I simply said I would definitely NOT buy it again.
Same last sentence to my friends here.
Old 04-22-17, 09:06 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pdaeng
Because you are in CA. If you are in Northeast area, and temp is low, you will hear the drone and feel the vibration.
All the RX350 loaner (about 8 times, in two dealers) drone and vibrate in winter time.

When you are test driving, the sales always warm up the car, so the drone is not that intense.
I can not imagine why people buy RX350.

RX450h is much better in terms of this problem.
I live in NW and temp is low, but my RX350 dose not have drone or vibration issues. I bought RX350 because I don't like CVT, and I'm happy with my car.
Old 04-22-17, 04:33 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

iI Have noticed the vibration drone is better now that the temps have warmed up.

Last edited by tdjacw; 04-24-17 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-24-17, 06:54 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Ever since I got my 2017 RX, I always feel something is not right/perfect. Now I know what it is.

I drove my 2016 $25K SUV today and paid attention. From a standing stop, the engine was loud, but not as loud as my $50K RX. And definitely no vibration could be felt on steering wheel.
Old 04-24-17, 11:31 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Had my car looked at today from a Lexus Master Tech. Of course the drone was very slight on the test drive.
Get home drive down the block and lugging and drone are back. I have never been so furstated by a car in my
life. The gentleman from Lexus was very nice and said this is a very difficult fix for Lexus because of how wide
the problem varies from car to car. He said some have no drone and others are horrendous. Lexus engineering
is trying to work on a fix that will address all cars. He said at this point there is no ETA on when there will be
a permanent solution. For the time being we just have to deal with it.
The following 3 users liked this post by tdjacw:
guxu (04-24-17), Oldfart (04-24-17), rbclt (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 12:02 PM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Had my car looked at today from a Lexus Master Tech. Of course the drone was very slight on the test drive.
Get home drive down the block and lugging and drone are back. I have never been so furstated by a car in my
life. The gentleman from Lexus was very nice and said this is a very difficult fix for Lexus because of how wide
the problem varies from car to car. He said some have no drone and others are horrendous. Lexus engineering
is trying to work on a fix that will address all cars. He said at this point there is no ETA on when there will be
a permanent solution. For the time being we just have to deal with it.
Thanks for the update and good to know that Lexus is aware of the issue and working on a solution... hope they are able to come up with a solution that will fix all cars (or replace the tranny with a new one).
Old 04-25-17, 11:45 AM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

yes with warmer temps 55-60+ F. It decreases .... cooler temps it's louder: my noise seems to be getting worse as car is aging. 4 months now since I purchased it brand new and 11k miles on it.
Old 04-25-17, 11:59 AM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Default Warming temps decreasing the vibration

ive had my Rx 350 17' taken to dealer 5 times since February about this. Each time it was left overnight for foreman mechanic to test drive early in the morning. Unfortunately with warming temps in north east they were only able to duplicate this noise two times. They said they fixed it by adjusting to heat shield - so I picked it up and took it home to learn noise was still there when I went for a test drive at midnight and again at 5am when temps cooled down to low 50's.

filing a lemon law case against Lexus and getting an attorney to handle this for me as Lexus case worker doesn't seem to be helping anymore, she even sent out a field tech from corporate office to listen to noise he confirmed he heard the noise after a test drive (was about 45 degrees F) with him. He said he had to find out from corporate what they will do, I went homw once again to get a call few days later telling me come in again and recreate the noise. I explained it's getting warmer and tougher I live 45-1 hr away with traffic and car does it most on cold starts. When I left cat at dealer again it was near 55+ degrees and noise was hard to recreate.

Another time took it to a new Lexus dealership because drive was too long to Dealership where I originally purchased vehicle from , the foreman claimed it was a dealership plastic license plate insert advertisement between my license plate on trunk vibrating. Unbelievable! He took off the plastic plate behind my metal NJ plate and Put back the plate. Car still made vibration that night after it cooled down ...

I suspect it's a metal underneath canter console contracting and expanding due to temps causing this noise at cold starts at low RPM

Last edited by pkumar1981; 04-25-17 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration