RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 11:13 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pkumar1981
Can anyone else shed some light on if this is similar to what they are experiencing ? Please also
post some videos ... hope the techs at Lexus read these forums and can study/review what's happening because it's hard to replicate this noise sometimes ... by the way I emptied out everything in the car (center armrest console, door pockets, glove compartments, cup holders etc ....

https://youtu.be/jj8kbm84azg
Whoa. That is pretty bad... Interestingly, your noise seems to occur above 2000 rpm, but most of mine is the 1500 to 2000 range, granted mine isn't quite that loud and the buzzing sound doesn't exist. I would say I'm just being picky (and comparing this the level of noise to previous Lexus that I've owned). Your issue deserves investigation. I would take it to another dealer if you can..
Old 04-26-17, 05:51 AM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
Whoa. That is pretty bad... Interestingly, your noise seems to occur above 2000 rpm, but most of mine is the 1500 to 2000 range, granted mine isn't quite that loud and the buzzing sound doesn't exist. I would say I'm just being picky (and comparing this the level of noise to previous Lexus that I've owned). Your issue deserves investigation. I would take it to another dealer if you can..
ive been to 2 dealers and 5 visits. 2 Foreman mechanics and Lexus field tech all three heard the noise. Field tech even made a video with his phone. Problem is by the time they reported it back to corporate to see what can be done - the case worker responded that Lexus wants me to bring the vehicle back and put on another show for them duplicating the sound. I've been in and out 5 times it's been warming up so it's been hard to show them. Each time I left vehicle they said they fixed it. One excuse was it was my license plate . Another was we adjusted the heat shield. I get home - set my
alarm for 5am when temps dropped to below 50 F sad video shows and time on dash, noise re appears. I even
emailed 6 videos to Lexus prooving I'm not crazy.

Im going to keep posting these videos on YouTube and social media for public eye to see. They don't deserve any business.
Old 04-26-17, 06:04 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Can anyone else shed some light on if this is similar to what they are experiencing ? Please also
post some videos ... hope the techs at Lexus read these forums and can study/review what's happening because it's hard to replicate this noise sometimes ... by the way I emptied out everything in the car (center armrest console, door pockets, glove compartments, cup holders etc ....

That would drive me absolutely nuts!!! I know it sounds like it's coming from the engine/ front of vehicle, but have them check the exhaust. In the video the noise seems to only be present when you accelerate, so I wonder if it's some type of heat shield that wasn't installed properly, or maybe a loose exhaust clamp or fitting?

Years ago we had a clinking type of vibrating noise coming from our ML350 which I could have sworn was coming from the front passenger door area. Turned out to be a loose heat shield near the rear muffler. They resecured it and the noise (well that one anyway) was gone..

The shop foreman told me that these type of noises travel, so it's not uncommon for the cause of the sound to be coming from a totally different area than originally thought.
Old 04-26-17, 06:11 AM
StephyKay
Driver School Candidate

Wow! That is awful! Has it been making that noise since you bought it or does it occur over time?
Old 04-26-17, 06:13 AM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StephyKay
Wow! That is awful! Has it been making that noise since you bought it or does it occur over time?
Id say after first 2-3 weeks of owning car. And seems like it's progressing not decreasing with parts breaking in from normal wear.
Old 04-26-17, 06:17 AM
StephyKay
Driver School Candidate

Id say after first 2-3 weeks of owning car. And seems like it's progressing not decreasing with parts breaking in from normal wear.
Thats a terrifying thought. Has everyone having these issues on a 350? My 450h fsport comes in Friday. Now I'm worried.
Old 04-26-17, 06:29 AM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Temperature of the cars in both videos are cold. Is it the same drone once car gets to the normal temperature or less noticeable?
It also takes some time for catalytic converter to get to its normal operating temperature as well. I am wondering if people are taking their cars do dealer and it is all warmed up at that point.
i

it is less intense as vehicle warms. I've had t occur even 30 minutes into driving with gauge showing engine temp hot. Dealer kept it over night x4 Times . I met them in morning with loaner to do a cold start test drive. unfortunately it's didn't make much noise compared to video because temps were in up 50's
Old 04-26-17, 06:51 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Temperature of the cars in both videos are cold. Is it the same drone once car gets to the normal temperature or less noticeable?
It also takes some time for catalytic converter to get to its normal operating temperature as well. I am wondering if people are taking their cars do dealer and it is all warmed up at that point.
gonna take a video of mine as well right now from a cold start, about 52-55 degrees 12+ hours of no use.

will post later
Old 04-26-17, 01:24 PM
dchobo
Driver School Candidate

at 80 degrees F? Ouch I'm even more worried ... it's not just a cold weather thing... do u know if problem was ever solver on earlier highlander model? What was solution?
According to the HL owners who had this problem, it was traced to exhaust manifold or a bracket holding the exhaust tailpipe... it happened cold/warm.... AFAIK, no TSB, but many said they fixed it (DIY) by removing/replacing the bracket. A lot of details in the thread. While it doesn't sound exactly like the same problem here but it may be worth looking into.
Old 04-26-17, 03:54 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

i

it is less intense as vehicle warms. I've had t occur even 30 minutes into driving with gauge showing engine temp hot. Dealer kept it over night x4 Times . I met them in morning with loaner to do a cold start test drive. unfortunately it's didn't make much noise compared to video because temps were in up 50's
This is an off-the-wall question: have you ever crawled under the car with a small dead blow hammer or rubber mallet & banged around (not hard, but just enough to hear something buzz) on the exhaust pipes? Its worth a shot if you can isolate the sound down to the exhaust & whether its in the front or rear of vehicle. It's just a crazy suggestion that may help...
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (04-27-17)
Old 04-26-17, 04:49 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
This is an off-the-wall question: have you ever crawled under the car with a small dead blow hammer or rubber mallet & banged around (not hard, but just enough to hear something buzz) on the exhaust pipes? Its worth a shot if you can isolate the sound down to the exhaust & whether its in the front or rear of vehicle. It's just a crazy suggestion that may help...
I wouldn't want to do it driving $50K car, but I am sure I'd try.
Old 04-26-17, 08:51 PM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
gonna take a video of mine as well right now from a cold start, about 52-55 degrees 12+ hours of no use.

will post later

That woild be nice so we can all compare and I'm sure
techs at Lexus r seeing things on this forum... I posted mine on YouTube for anyone looking to purchase a Lexus to hopefully see and be aware of when they r looking to purchase a RX
Old 04-27-17, 07:00 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

This is a great way to isolate noises under the car. I have done it many times with a rubber mallet and it turned out for me to be exhaust related problems. One of my mechanic buddies showed me this trick many years ago....Certainly not an "off-the-wall question"
Old 04-27-17, 09:22 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I tried again yesterday. The engine noise on my RX is not that bad (but I still expect it be a little quieter). However the vibrations on steering wheel and gas paddle are just not acceptable for this $53K vehicle. I hope Lexus will find a solution soon.
Old 04-27-17, 09:51 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
I tried again yesterday. The engine noise on my RX is not that bad (but I still expect it be a little quieter). However the vibrations on steering wheel and gas paddle are just not acceptable for this $53K vehicle. I hope Lexus will find a solution soon.
Don't expect a fix anytime soon. If there is a fix its going to be a very slow process. I think its because its probably exhaust related and any changes to the exhaust will have to approved by multiple parties other than Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration