RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 06:40 AM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
The more I think about the service Manager telling me no one is dying here and I shouldn't get upset about it just irritates me.
So you should have no complaints or be upset about your vehicle unless it involves dying? Ask him if you can quote him on that in online reviews.
Old 05-05-17, 09:58 AM
ghsotlypor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can any owners of 2017 RX in Canada confirm the issues during the last winter? Thanks!
Old 05-05-17, 01:23 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Koogone
I recently contacted the president of Toyota regarding the Drone noise in my 2017 RX 350. Their response was "it is a known characteristic of the car and they are working to find a solution to the problem". HUH!!!!!!
This problem has existed sinse the 2016 models came out.

Please file complaints with Toyota until this is resolved

Koogone...I am just using your note as an example as their are two others that seem to have had the same response, tdjacw and s4iscool...

Akio Toyoda is the President of Toyota and I guarantee he never saw your note. You said you contacted the President so I am guessing it was by email. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim Lentz is Chief Executive officer of Toyota Motor North America, Inc. (TMNA); President and Chief operating officer of Toyota Motor North America.

Mark S. Templin, group vice president and general manager – Lexus Division,

Now there are lots of CEO's at Toyota and Lexus so finding the right one to actually see your email is the challenge. I find it highly unlikely that an Executive would ever state "it is a known characteristic of the car and they are working to find a solution to the problem" to a customer. Therefore I think your note was intercepted by a service agent.

I have contacted many CEO's over the years and had great results.

First, they never even see their emails...vary rarely. They use emails between themselves that do not exist (to consumers) or are filtered heavily.
Second, never send a note during regular working hours...try around 8:30 pm ...get your time zones right depending where they are and you are.

I would start with Jeffrey Bracken Vice President and General Manager – Lexus Division USA I don't know his email, but I'm sure you can dig it up.

Your note should be short and concise. What is wrong, how many times you have tried to have it fixed...etc. You might get a response from a CEO directly, but very unlikely. Usually they give it to an assistant. I did with Lexus Canada, but it was ...Thank you for your email, I am going to refer this to my assistant for immediate attention. Got called the next morning. In my case there was a solution, but at least I didn't get some generic answer by a call center agent.

Sorry about the long post. Just trying to help.

Last edited by FastFord; 05-05-17 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-06-17, 07:52 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Koogone
I recently contacted the president of Toyota regarding the Drone noise in my 2017 RX 350. Their response was "it is a known characteristic of the car and they are working to find a solution to the problem". HUH!!!!!!
This problem has existed sinse the 2016 models came out.

Please file complaints with Toyota until this is resolved

I said the same thing that this problem has existed since the 2016 model came out. The field Tech said that until they get a certain amount of complaints they won't start on a fix. So who knows when that actually started, could have been a few months ago. I felt like he went out of his way to ensure me that there will be a fix, just no ETA at this point. My concern is that it is an inherent design flaw that cant be fixed without some kind of redesign of components.
Old 05-06-17, 07:47 PM
TPK
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mccutcj
I have recently purchased a 2016 Lexus RX350. I love both the exterior and interior design along with the electronic driver aids. However, I am extremely disappointed with the excessive noise and vibration I have experienced from a standing stop.

This is my first purchase of a Lexus product and expected a much higher level of refinement.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Jim
2016 RX 350 I have the same droning noise and vibration at 1200-1800 RPM/ Very aggravating. I am told Lexus nows of the problem and seeing if there is a fix, or they will tell us its normal. Their are many posts like yours. We all have to pressure Lexus to fix this before it tarnishes their reputation.
Old 05-07-17, 06:14 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

Hi
I'm in the middle of negotiating a 2017 RX350AWD. Can anyone tell me the droning noise happens on day one or does it take a bit of a break in and mileage for the issue to occur. I went to two dealerships yesterday and test drove two vehicles and did not notice the noise. This issue has been in the back of my mind since the '16 model.
Old 05-07-17, 11:14 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NickL
Hi
I'm in the middle of negotiating a 2017 RX350AWD. Can anyone tell me the droning noise happens on day one or does it take a bit of a break in and mileage for the issue to occur. I went to two dealerships yesterday and test drove two vehicles and did not notice the noise. This issue has been in the back of my mind since the '16 model.
It has a lot to do with outside temperature and engine load. There are certain scenarios depending on the gear your in and if your going up an incline the drone can just come out of nowhere. Seriously there are so many other crossovers that I would not take the chance. There is also a slight vibration at 1500 rpms that once you become aware of it, it will drive you nuts.
Old 05-10-17, 07:50 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Since Sport mode does not have this problem, and switching to D2 will eliminate the noise/vibration when it happens, I do not know why Lexus can't fix this issue by re-programming.

For now, BPM channel on XM fixes this problem for me.
Old 05-10-17, 10:39 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Default Vibration at idle?

Recently I started noticing the vibration on steering wheel when I come to a stop at red light. It is not bad. I know every car has that, but the vibration is worse than my $23k vehicle. Shift to N and the vibration is completely gone. Shift to D and the vibration is back. Is that normal? My RX is a 2017 2WD model, 2.5 months old with 1,200 miles on it.
Old 05-10-17, 11:12 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

No this is not normal. Have them address it at your 5K service, unless you want to see them earlier.
Old 05-10-17, 11:31 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by guxu
Since Sport mode does not have this problem, and switching to D2 will eliminate the noise/vibration when it happens, I do not know why Lexus can't fix this issue by re-programming.

For now, BPM channel on XM fixes this problem for me.
There is a slight vibration at around 1500 to 2K rpms regardless of which mode your in. For some strange reason when this motor is under load there is vibration, not even Drone just vibration which actually annoys me more than the drone.
I drive mine almost always in manual to keep the rpms over 2k. Thats the only way I have come to terms with this situation, Again I would definitely not purchase this vehicle until they resolve the issue completely.
IT'S GOOD ENOUGH isn't what I paid for or expect from a high end manufacturer like LEXUS.
Old 05-10-17, 01:17 PM
guxu
Pole Position

So within 3 months I purchased this "luxury" SUV, I have experienced,

Leather seat fold/creases on unusual places https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...t-creases.html
Excessive noise and vibration https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...vibration.html
And this vibration at idle.

Actually I also heard some constant vibration/noise near driver door this morning when the road was not perfect smooth. More issues than my $23K cheap brand SUV.
Old 05-10-17, 06:51 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
There is a slight vibration at around 1500 to 2K rpms regardless of which mode your in. For some strange reason when this motor is under load there is vibration, not even Drone just vibration which actually annoys me more than the drone.
I drive mine almost always in manual to keep the rpms over 2k. Thats the only way I have come to terms with this situation, Again I would definitely not purchase this vehicle until they resolve the issue completely.
IT'S GOOD ENOUGH isn't what I paid for or expect from a high end manufacturer like LEXUS.
I've just completed one year of ownership of my 2016 RX 350 AWD and the 10K service was just performed recently as well. I haven't posted in a while mostly because I've been very busy (not the least of which is taking care of my 97 year old aunt) however I couldn't agree with "tdjacw" more. The vibration issue is very annoying and the car lacks the level of refinement and smoothness that I thought I was buying. I feel the high-frequency vibration through the accelerator pedal and the general floorboard area. Last month I bought my wife a 2017 Honda Pilot EX-L Nav and it is much smoother than my RX, no vibration issues whatsoever in the Pilot. The vibration in the RX is subtle but it's always present generally between the 1200 - 2000 rpm range and as "tdjacw" noted it's especially noticeable when under load (in high torque conditions like accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear). I'm probably going to cut my losses and trade-in my RX for a Q5 or Q7 this summer. This will be the first car I've had in many years that I haven't kept for at least 4 years. In the meantime if Lexus comes out with a vibration/drone fix as a TSB (technical service bulletin) I'll request that my dealer apply it. But I have no confidence in Lexus at this point.
Old 05-10-17, 08:12 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
I've just completed one year of ownership of my 2016 RX 350 AWD and the 10K service was just performed recently as well. I haven't posted in a while mostly because I've been very busy (not the least of which is taking care of my 97 year old aunt) however I couldn't agree with "tdjacw" more. The vibration issue is very annoying and the car lacks the level of refinement and smoothness that I thought I was buying. I feel the high-frequency vibration through the accelerator pedal and the general floorboard area. Last month I bought my wife a 2017 Honda Pilot EX-L Nav and it is much smoother than my RX, no vibration issues whatsoever in the Pilot. The vibration in the RX is subtle but it's always present generally between the 1200 - 2000 rpm range and as "tdjacw" noted it's especially noticeable when under load (in high torque conditions like accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear). I'm probably going to cut my losses and trade-in my RX for a Q5 or Q7 this summer. This will be the first car I've had in many years that I haven't kept for at least 4 years. In the meantime if Lexus comes out with a vibration/drone fix as a TSB (technical service bulletin) I'll request that my dealer apply it. But I have no confidence in Lexus at this point.
I am also in the same boat. I completely do not think current generation of RX can be called luxury SUV. Totally a joke.
Maybe Lexus think this kind of vibration is called "sporty" as you can feel the "road", you can feel the "engine". LOL!

The only way to make Lexus serious about it is that to tell everybody you know about the problem of RX and warn them do not buy RX to make sales number drop.
RX is lexus's bread and butter.

Good news is that RX sales dropped a lot compared to last year and competitors are catching up. see Q5's sales numbers.
Old 05-10-17, 08:15 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
So within 3 months I purchased this "luxury" SUV, I have experienced,

Leather seat fold/creases on unusual places https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...t-creases.html
Excessive noise and vibration https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...vibration.html
And this vibration at idle.

Actually I also heard some constant vibration/noise near driver door this morning when the road was not perfect smooth. More issues than my $23K cheap brand SUV.
My RX has the door noise issue as well. Ask dealer to check the speaker. One of the speakers on car is not installed well making a lot of noise on the not-perfect road

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration