RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 04:37 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty75
Check the date of the first post and the last post on this thread and see if anything has changed on Lexus' end. I'm trading my car in soon, I've owned the Lexus brand since 1990 btw.
When I hit the one year mark I will probably do the same. Should be able to trade it in and not have to add money.
I traded in a 2014 Dodge Challenger which I absolutely loved and would by another in a heart beat. Problem is my job requires me to go in regardless of weather conditions so I needed the AWD. Biggest mistake I ever made. My Challenger was actually more refined then my RX. That car just had smooth quiet acceleration with zero vibration and the power, well "Hemi". Maybe Lexus should take some pointers from Dodge. I know that will rub some folks here the wrong way but in my case its the truth.
I wish I knew what to buy next?
Old 06-01-17, 07:14 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 373 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
I've did and some who complained at the start have been quiet since.. maybe Lexus did come through.
Maybe they've learned to live with it or simply traded it in.
Old 06-01-17, 08:36 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
lol or that
Old 06-02-17, 09:40 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
I am the one who is getting used to the new RX. I was upset just because I paid them $50K+ and my expectation was high. Now the $50K is long gone and I am not paying attention to those little details any more. Yes, the vibration is still there, the engine is still louder than I wanted. But it only happens under certain conditions. With the Normal mode and the way I drive, I controlled the noise and vibration to minimum.

Also, while many people complaining the droning, I really doubt we are talking about the same drone noise. Sometimes I went to a military drone site. There is no way so many RX are making that kind of noises.
Old 06-02-17, 09:59 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I have vehicle with "drone" and it's not the rx. There is no drone on any RX, but people are using the word to describe the noise. Drone usually comes from a muffler system, It's extremely annoying, 120-150hz, it shakes the whole car and has a terrible humming noise. At certain speeds/rpm in my truck you cannot talk to the person beside you. An hour drive will give you a blistering headache. If I take the truck to pick up my wife, she says she can hear me from the seventh floor of her building. However I think when we say drone here, we are describing the same noise.

It's probably the revs are too low, like shifting into 5th in a manual instead of 3rd. Low rumble until the revs get up past 1500 or so. I can make my RX do this, but have adjusted my driving to skip right by the "sweet" spot where the rumble happens. Some times it can't be avoided, but it is possible to do...you just have to practice.

I don't have any vibration when it hits that magic rpm, but I have read that some do.
Old 06-02-17, 11:15 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FastFord
I have vehicle with "drone" and it's not the rx. There is no drone on any RX, but people are using the word to describe the noise. Drone usually comes from a muffler system, It's extremely annoying, 120-150hz, it shakes the whole car and has a terrible humming noise. At certain speeds/rpm in my truck you cannot talk to the person beside you. An hour drive will give you a blistering headache. If I take the truck to pick up my wife, she says she can hear me from the seventh floor of her building. However I think when we say drone here, we are describing the same noise.

It's probably the revs are too low, like shifting into 5th in a manual instead of 3rd. Low rumble until the revs get up past 1500 or so. I can make my RX do this, but have adjusted my driving to skip right by the "sweet" spot where the rumble happens. Some times it can't be avoided, but it is possible to do...you just have to practice.

I don't have any vibration when it hits that magic rpm, but I have read that some do.
Not trying to start a war here but it is with out a doubt drone, at least on mine. The reason I say this is because with my vehicle in park I can slowly rev the motor and when the RPM's hit around 1500 the exhaust note changes dramatically. So the car at that point is under no load. If your saying that its not drone what exactly are you attributing it to. I am very familiar with drone having went with after market exhaust systems on several muscle cars. Remember the drone is caused by vibration which mine has at 1500rpms. Even the Service Manager referred to it as Drone.

Last edited by tdjacw; 06-02-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-02-17, 11:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Maybe you have something wrong with the exhaust. Have you checked other RX's at the dealer? Funny that you can make the car make the noise sitting still. I just tried it and it makes more noise but not like when it's under load. Don't get me going about Service Managers. Your Service Manager would hate me! Hopefully you/they find a fix soon, cause it can't be any fun.
Old 06-02-17, 11:52 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Maybe you have something wrong with the exhaust. Have you checked other RX's at the dealer? Funny that you can make the car make the noise sitting still. I just tried it and it makes more noise but not like when it's under load. Don't get me going about Service Managers. Your Service Manager would hate me! Hopefully you/they find a fix soon, cause it can't be any fun.
mine is only under load but it can be pretty bad when its in a high gear at low rpms.
Old 06-02-17, 12:54 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I checked two others, one was perfect and the other had it slightly. Dealer said its a known issue and varies from car to car. No fix at this time. That's what's so frustrating to me, purchasing this car is a crap shoot.
Old 06-02-17, 04:59 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I checked two others, one was perfect and the other had it slightly. Dealer said its a known issue and varies from car to car. No fix at this time. That's what's so frustrating to me, purchasing this car is a crap shoot.
I tried it on my RX 350, on P and on N. Mine is perfect. The engine is louder when the RPM is up. But the vehicle is very smooth with no vibration at all. Guess I am lucky.
Old 06-03-17, 02:31 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
I've did and some who complained at the start have been quiet since.. maybe Lexus did come through.
No, FiveSeven. Unfortunately, Lexus has not "come through". Imo, there are three major problem areas with the RX 350 and they still exist.

1) Air conditioning system gurgling sound - a TSB has been published and I had my car updated but it is only a partial fix. The gurgling noise is still present after the update but somewhat quieter. It is also intermittent (not always audible).

2) Poor transmission programming - a TSB has been published and I had my car updated but clearly, in my opinion, the overall powertrain refinement and smoothness is still unacceptable and possibly worthy of a $20K car but certainly not for a $50K car.

3) The dreaded 1200-1900 rpm vibration. It's still there in my car after 14 months and is quite annoying. Afaik, there has been no TSB issued to date. The aggravating aspect of this vibration is that it's always present. Every time one stops and then accelerates one can feel this buzzing vibration through the gas pedal.
Old 06-04-17, 02:30 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I will say my vibration issue seems less pronounced with the summer temperatures. Just another reason I'm not looking forward to the winter...LOl
Old 06-06-17, 10:42 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by feddery
Guys, goto edmunds.com and post a 1 start review and explain the problem , this can drag the total score below 3 stars , no need to register

I started to drive the RX everyday and I'm not sure if im going crazy but the sound seems like its getting louder..
Old 06-06-17, 11:38 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I have decided to stop obsessing over this vibration issue, because afer a year now there has been no fix. So I have excepted the fact that Lexus isn't going to do a damn thing about it. I guess after buying so many new cars one of them was bound to have an issue like this. Just didn't think it would be a Lexus. I so look forward to the day I trade it in, too bad someone else will end up with it.

Last edited by tdjacw; 06-06-17 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-06-17, 12:01 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I have decided to stop obsessing over this vibration issue, because afer a year now there has been no fix. So I have excepted the fact that Lexus isn't going to do a damn thing about it. I guess after buying so many new cars one of them was bound to have an issue like this. Just didn't think it would be a Lexus. I so look forward to the day I trade it in, too bad someone else will end up with it.
I had same experience with 2016 Acura MDX. As soon as possible, I dumped the car after driving for ~3k Miles. Not only those issues, as a first production from Acura Alabama plant, build quality(interior, exterior fitment) was a concern too. If I were you, I'd trade it in sooner rather than later. Wonder if 2017 RX has same issues?

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration