RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 04:07 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by apex47
Just wondering if anyone that has a 2017 and custom ordered their RX has had these issues?
I have a 2016 custom order

slight droning with cold start ups
no vibration issues
Old 06-07-17, 05:12 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by feddery
Yes, thats what I do , I see that 32% of owners here complained about this, I will try to fix this myself the way Walt did, shame on Lexus, no one called or emailed me about my case, what a sham, live and learned no more Lexus/Toyota.

I have two dampers on mine as per walts instructions, very little if any difference. Dont waste your time or money.
Old 06-07-17, 05:40 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by feddery
but some reported good results
I think most of it is the placebo effect, I thought for sure It got better with the dampers on. I removed them last month when I took it back to the dealer. I really couldn't tell any difference. Maybe you'll have better results.
Old 06-09-17, 05:54 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello everyone,

Besides the droning and the vibration issues, how is your cabin noise overall? Wind noise? Road Noise? Tire Noise? I thought Lexus is more refined in this category but it's no different from other premium vehicles I've driven.. Even my other car QX70 is on par with 17' RX350 in the cabin noise department.
Old 06-09-17, 06:11 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I am actually quite disappointed with the cabin noise. While I wouldn't say it's noisy its no quieter than my wifes Chevy Tahoe and just a step above my Dodge Challenger. I really expected more from a Lexus. This car for me has been a total disappointment. Im really suprised at some of the reviews claming how quiet it is. Maybe I just got a lemon.
Old 06-09-17, 06:23 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I would think that the RX and QX would have about the same amount of cabin noise.

I find I have zero wind noise, tires are ok but I don't think I have ever had "quiet" tires. Tread patterns can greatly affect road noise. A higher performance tire with direction tread usually produces more noise. I have never found any OEM tire that good. My main concern with a tire is wet weather performance. I would put the road noise and tire noise in the same group. I do not find the Michelin Premier LTX a quiet tire, but they perform OK.

Overall I find the RX a very quiet vehicle. I can talk to a passenger in a soft normal voice even at 65mph.

I do not have any drone or vibration.
Old 06-09-17, 06:33 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I know that some american luxury cars started to use a "noise cancelling" technology in the cabin. Meaning have the sound system emit a canceling noise opposite to the sound in the cabin.
Lexus is not there yet...
Old 06-09-17, 06:50 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by FastFord
I would think that the RX and QX would have about the same amount of cabin noise.
QX70 is a 330hp obnoxious RWD true sport utility vehicle. You hear everything, especially the engine. I just expected RX to be much quieter. The 1,400 rpm vibrations are minimal in my RX but the noise it makes is embarrassing, reminds me of a tiny dog with a loud bark

PS Tire noise I can forgive as it also depends on the road you are on, but the wind noise with all the fancy dual glass technology leaves me puzzled.
Old 06-09-17, 07:01 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
QX70 is a 330hp obnoxious RWD true sport utility vehicle. You hear everything, especially the engine.
I don't understand what you mean by obnoxious. If you mean it has 30 more Hp, that's nothing. Maybe they just put some sport type exhaust. I would never consider the QX70 as a "true" sport utility. Nice crossover. Most of the ones I've seen are AWD

If you hear everything in a QX70, then I guess it's not the same as an RX. I would have thought it would be very similar.
Old 06-09-17, 07:21 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by FastFord
I don't understand what you mean by obnoxious. If you mean it has 30 more Hp, that's nothing. Maybe they just put some sport type exhaust. I would never consider the QX70 as a "true" sport utility. Nice crossover. Most of the ones I've seen are AWD

If you hear everything in a QX70, then I guess it's not the same as an RX. I would have thought it would be very similar.
By obnoxious meaning is not as refined as the Lexus brand, it's raw, it's aggressive, it's rear wheel drive based drivetrain (AWD) 0-60 in 6s SUV with zero body roll that hugs the corners and will do circles around RX. I expected the Lexus brand to be very subtle and quiet.
Old 06-09-17, 07:35 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dealer/Service Manager too is disappointed!!!

Just got back from my dealer appointment for the droning noise and vibration issue (Lexus corporate had set it up). Service manager confirmed that this is a known issue and he personally has created at least 10 other complaints in last few months with Lexus corporate, for the time being they have been instructed to claim it is as a expected/normal behavior of the car (find the repair order attached), also they are expecting a fix eventually from Lexus as the complaints are increasing. At the end he mentioned that one of his colleagues had RX for couple of months and got rid of it as he couldn't stand the noise/vibration... the way he was explaining the issues (droning, vibration and hesitation) I doubt whether it was his own car.... or may be he was pointing me towards a 'solution'... In any case Pathetic Experience from Lexus corporate and hope they do something to revert this.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration-noise-highlighted.jpg  
Old 06-09-17, 07:44 AM
FastFord
Racer

It will do circles around an RX because an RX is not that kind of a car. Comparing apples to oranges.

You originally asked about cabin noise. The RX is quieter. If you want a sporty crossover maybe a QX70 suits your needs.
Old 06-09-17, 07:47 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by rbclt
Just got back from my dealer appointment for the droning noise and vibration issue (Lexus corporate had set it up). Service manager confirmed that this is a known issue and he personally has created at least 10 other complaints in last few months with Lexus corporate, for the time being they have been instructed to claim it is as a expected/normal behavior of the car (find the repair order attached), also they are expecting a fix eventually from Lexus as the complaints are increasing. At the end he mentioned that one of his colleagues had RX for couple of months and got rid of it as he couldn't stand the noise/vibration... the way he was explaining the issues (droning, vibration and hesitation) I doubt whether it was his own car.... or may be he was pointing me towards a 'solution'... In any case Pathetic Experience from Lexus corporate and hope they do something to revert this.

Not impressed they put operating normal on the work order. I am sure as the service orders pile up they will be forced to give this problem more attention. Not holding my breath for anything soon.
The following users liked this post:
rbclt (06-09-17)
Old 06-09-17, 08:03 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

They acknowledged the noise/vibration('verified noise' on the second line) but unfortunately they are claiming it as the new 'Lexus Factory Standards'...looks like service manager has the solution...get rid of the car!
Old 06-09-17, 08:08 AM
FastFord
Racer

Wonder what will comes first...lots of people trading it in and abandoning Lexus or a fix? I feel for the people that have this issue. Hope they find a fix for it soon. At least your service manager acknowledged that they heard/felt something...that's a lot better than some customers have been told and treated.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration