RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17 | 10:07 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by feddery
where exactly did he install the counter balance damper?
Im also curious where the dealer installed it. I put two on the front of the catalytic converter. Might be a slight improvement.
Old 06-20-17 | 12:32 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Minimal improvement, maybe you'll have better results.
You have two or you will put two ?
I have two currently installed. Both are connected to either side of a 2 1/2 inch muffler clamp on the cataytic converter.

Last edited by tdjacw; 06-20-17 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
feddery (06-20-17)
Old 06-21-17 | 08:09 AM
guxu
Pole Position

I still believe some of the problems can be attributed to the fact that some owners pamper RX too much. Because of the money we spent on this vehicle, our expectation is high, and we treat our vehicle too gently. This noise and vibration issue happens during acceleration, at low speed and low RPM (1,500 to 2,000). A small push on gas will make RX pass that state quickly. But some owners hesitated and only gave bare minimum gas, which made the RX stay on that bad spot forever.

With little effort, my RX 350 can reach 2,000 to 3,000+ RPM even in ECO mode. When I do not want to accelerate too fast (in traffic and etc), I can keep the RPM below 1,500. While Lexus should do something to solve/minimize this problem, we can also "reprogram" our driving habit to make the ride more enjoyable.
Old 06-21-17 | 11:29 AM
guxu
Pole Position

"expectation is high" ? yes, it is, for an expensive SUV that vibrates and drones anywhere 1500 RPM ? even low class SUV dont vibrate or drone as bad as the twice more expensive RX, you call this 'high' ?

This Losing mentality attitude will get you nowhere , dont compromise because other people cocked up, this is not ours to blame, not our driving style, not our expectations and not our comfort, this is a botched up problem ONLY BY LEXUS, not anyone here.
BTW, if you change your driving style cause of a discomfort and you choose to accelerate faster to avoid discomfort, isnt this a safety factor ?
Might very well be so
Well, for people who is not at the position to get rid of their RX now, you can either complain and get angrier everyday, or do something to make your life less miserable. Your choice.

Also, I did not change my driving style. But I am afraid some might change their driving style after they bought their expensive SUV.
Old 06-21-17 | 11:55 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Does this forum have an opportunity for us to mute posters saying the same thing over and over adding no value to topic?
The following 2 users liked this post by kent2174:
FastFord (06-22-17), tomtom74 (06-21-17)
Old 06-21-17 | 12:00 PM
NickL
Racer

Click on the member's name.
"View Public Profile"
Under the user's name will have "Send Message" and "User List"
Click on "User List"
Then click on "Add to Ignore List"
The following 3 users liked this post by NickL:
FastFord (06-22-17), PaiMei (06-22-17), tomtom74 (06-21-17)
Old 06-22-17 | 10:32 AM
FastFord
Racer

Yes, it's great...you don't see the comments!

Or if you have the user, you can click on user cp (far left top of screen) and hit the edit ignore list and add them in!

Last edited by FastFord; 06-22-17 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-23-17 | 03:48 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I have installed one damper per Walt's instructions , I can say it does make a small difference for my car, I will take my car to a muffler shop I know this weekend and show the guys what I did, maybe they can have other ideas how to mute the drone, at least I know where it comes from, I am not waiting for Lexus to fix this, it will probably still be on the 2018 models .

Thank you Walt for being pro-active,
Cheers.
I agree it does make a small difference. The problem is that it strongly depends on the load of the engine. Yesterday my wife an I went out for a day trip. What I noticed was when the AC is on and going up a slight hill really accentuates the issue. One reason why I wish there was a switch on the dash for AC. That way I could quickly shut it off under certain conditions. I do agree that Lexus is just going to ignore this issue. With all their Engineering, if they haven't come up with a fix by now its not coming. I'm still trying to work a deal to get out of mine, but financially it's to big of a loss. For now just have to deal with it and try to drive around it. It's really ashame because I really do like the vehicle.

Last edited by tdjacw; 06-23-17 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-23-17 | 07:26 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I agree it does make a small difference. The problem is that it strongly depends on the load of the engine. Yesterday my wife an I went for a day trip. What I noticed was when the AC is on and gping up a slight hill really accentuates the issue. One reason why I wish there was a switch on the dash for AC. That way I could quickly shut it off under certain conditions. I do agree that Lexus is just going to ignore this issue. With all their Engineering, if they haven't come up with a fix by now its not coming. I'm still trying to work a deal to get out of mine, but financially it's to big of a loss. For now just have to deal with it and try to drive around it. It's really ashame because I really do like the vehicle.
Not that it helps much, but.... It took lexus almost 3 model years to come up with a fix for the infamous GX470 "clunk" that was present on a many GX's. I owned 2 GX's and both had them and the fix worked for both.
Old 06-23-17 | 08:49 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jugdish
Not that it helps much, but.... It took lexus almost 3 model years to come up with a fix for the infamous GX470 "clunk" that was present on a many GX's. I owned 2 GX's and both had them and the fix worked for both.
So by the time my lease is up there might be a fix, Lol. Honestly Im trying my hardest to just ignore the problem and look at it like lesson learned.
Old 07-14-17 | 01:18 PM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration maybe shield between transmission

I have been fighting with lexus about this vibration since January ... I even posted videos on YouTube and social media sites to see if there was any real solution someone could suggest. Lexus hasn't helped much, lemon law case got denied. Even after taking the Rx into service department 5 times at three dealerships. Recently I took my 17' rx350 awd in for repair of side view mirror which needed to be replaced. The repair was done by an independent licensed and qualified body shop and a master tech mechanic who had been repairing cars and doing body work for 30+ years. While my rX was in his shop I told him the battle i had been dealing with Lexus over the drone noise at 1500-2000 rpm (on cold starts). He took it for a test drive and looked underneath. His opinion was he thinks it's a metal shield ( heat shield ) between transmission and floor of car. This theory seems to make sense to me because Lexus inspected the heat shields around exhaust pipes etc and could not find fault. The transmission is difficult to get to and would require it to be pulled out and days labor. Which is why its not a simple fix for Lexus to post a recall. I wish a class action law suit would get initiated ... if anyone is an attorney or knows how to obtain a good one that's willing to fight this battle with Lexus please share your thoughts. .... also can anyone share their videos and post to YouTube etc ... I've had a few thousand views on my video but not word from anyone on any their experience with Lexus / the fix and if anyone has a professional opinion by someone who is not employed by Lexus.

Old 07-14-17 | 04:26 PM
syntxerr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pkumar1981
I have been fighting with lexus about this vibration since January ... I even posted videos on YouTube and social media sites to see if there was any real solution someone could suggest. Lexus hasn't helped much, lemon law case got denied. Even after taking the Rx into service department 5 times at three dealerships. Recently I took my 17' rx350 awd in for repair of side view mirror which needed to be replaced. The repair was done by an independent licensed and qualified body shop and a master tech mechanic who had been repairing cars and doing body work for 30+ years. While my rX was in his shop I told him the battle i had been dealing with Lexus over the drone noise at 1500-2000 rpm (on cold starts). He took it for a test drive and looked underneath. His opinion was he thinks it's a metal shield ( heat shield ) between transmission and floor of car. This theory seems to make sense to me because Lexus inspected the heat shields around exhaust pipes etc and could not find fault. The transmission is difficult to get to and would require it to be pulled out and days labor. Which is why its not a simple fix for Lexus to post a recall. I wish a class action law suit would get initiated ... if anyone is an attorney or knows how to obtain a good one that's willing to fight this battle with Lexus please share your thoughts. .... also can anyone share their videos and post to YouTube etc ... I've had a few thousand views on my video but not word from anyone on any their experience with Lexus / the fix and if anyone has a professional opinion by someone who is not employed by Lexus.

https://youtu.be/vpzkPLnv544
At first, I was like, this guy needs to calm down because I can't hear a thing. Then I heard it! Can't believe Lexus is trying to fight you on this, that's a pretty noticeable noise.
Old 07-14-17 | 04:30 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Just curious .... what fuel are you guys all using ? In Australia there have been zero issues with vibration etc but the car comes with a sticker to use only 98 octane fuel .
Old 07-14-17 | 04:57 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

My rep said they were close to a fix but had to go back to the drawing board... my guess is that the fix they found was too costly
Old 07-15-17 | 03:01 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
My rep said they were close to a fix but had to go back to the drawing board... my guess is that the fix they found was too costly
Wow I cant believe they told you that. So discouraging for folks like myself who have been promised there would be a fix for a year now. I've completely lost hope. I usually don't lease, in this case I'm really glad I did. Only two more years of vibration and drone. 😥👎

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration