RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17 | 07:19 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Heard it... I definitivly don't have that sound, nor never heard it on courtesy vehicle the dealer lent me.

Weird that some have it...
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (07-22-17)
Old 07-17-17 | 02:58 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I can't figure this car out!!!! Yesterday coming home from work the car was running great. The drone, vibration and even the hesitation was almost gone. Thinking to myself maybe its just getting better with some miles on it.
Today I had to run some errands and the drone, vibration was worse than ever. What the heck changes with this car, I am totally baffled, maybe thats why Lexus is having such a hard time trying to resolve this.
Old 07-17-17 | 03:03 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

It's only happening in the USA ... got to be your low octane fuel ... all other markets the cars require premium high octane 98 .... imho
Old 07-17-17 | 03:09 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LordBowral
It's only happening in the USA ... got to be your low octane fuel ... all other markets the cars require premium high octane 98 .... imho
I was on the same tank of gas, and run 93oct only. I can't figure this out. Makes no sense.
This has been the most frustrating car I have ever owned. Can't wait for the lease to end.
Old 07-17-17 | 06:17 PM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by LordBowral
It's not that simple. Octane levels and posted levels are not that you have 98, and in North America we have 91. North America does not list octane levels the same way. Basically, 98 in some countries is the same as 91 in others. Too long an explanation for this thread....check it out.
ericsan13 (07-18-17)
Old 07-22-17 | 09:54 AM
DanG84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FastFord
It's not that simple. Octane levels and posted levels are not that you have 98, and in North America we have 91. North America does not list octane levels the same way. Basically, 98 in some countries is the same as 91 in others. Too long an explanation for this thread....check it out.
I have created the twitter tag : #FixMyLexus , I have already got replies from Lexus UK and Lexus Canada , please join
and comment on twitter , this is the way to fight this
pa1thak (12-11-17)
Old 07-22-17 | 06:30 PM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by DanG84
I have created the twitter tag : #FixMyLexus , I have already got replies from Lexus UK and Lexus Canada , please join
and comment on twitter , this is the way to fight this
Post on Twitter all you want....if you want action, here is what I posted earlier.....To my knowledge the only person to contact a Director is me, and I got immediate and successful results...

Akio Toyoda is the President of Toyota and I guarantee he never saw your note. You said you contacted the President so I am guessing it was by email. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim Lentz is Chief Executive officer of Toyota Motor North America, Inc. (TMNA); President and Chief operating officer of Toyota Motor North America.

Mark S. Templin, group vice president and general manager – Lexus Division,

Now there are lots of CEO's at Toyota and Lexus so finding the right one to actually see your email is the challenge. I find it highly unlikely that an Executive would ever state "it is a known characteristic of the car and they are working to find a solution to the problem" to a customer. Therefore I think your note was intercepted by a service agent.

I have contacted many CEO's over the years and had great results.

First, they never even see their emails...vary rarely. They use emails between themselves that do not exist (to consumers) or are filtered heavily.
Second, never send a note during regular working hours...try around 8:30 pm ...get your time zones right depending where they are and you are.

I would start with Jeffrey Bracken Vice President and General Manager – Lexus Division USA I don't know his email, but I'm sure you can dig it up.

Your note should be short and concise. What is wrong, how many times you have tried to have it fixed...etc. You might get a response from a CEO directly, but very unlikely. Usually they give it to an assistant. I did with Lexus Canada, but it was ...Thank you for your email, I am going to refer this to my assistant for immediate attention. Got called the next morning. In my case there was a solution, but at least I didn't get some generic answer by a call center agent.

Sorry about the long post. Just trying to help.
Old 07-22-17 | 07:12 PM
DanG84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FastFord
Post on Twitter all you want....if you want action, here is what I posted earlier.....To my knowledge the only person to contact a Director is me, and I got immediate and successful results...

Akio Toyoda is the President of Toyota and I guarantee he never saw your note. You said you contacted the President so I am guessing it was by email. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim Lentz is Chief Executive officer of Toyota Motor North America, Inc. (TMNA); President and Chief operating officer of Toyota Motor North America.

Mark S. Templin, group vice president and general manager – Lexus Division,

Now there are lots of CEO's at Toyota and Lexus so finding the right one to actually see your email is the challenge. I find it highly unlikely that an Executive would ever state "it is a known characteristic of the car and they are working to find a solution to the problem" to a customer. Therefore I think your note was intercepted by a service agent.

I have contacted many CEO's over the years and had great results.

First, they never even see their emails...vary rarely. They use emails between themselves that do not exist (to consumers) or are filtered heavily.
Second, never send a note during regular working hours...try around 8:30 pm ...get your time zones right depending where they are and you are.

I would start with Jeffrey Bracken Vice President and General Manager – Lexus Division USA I don't know his email, but I'm sure you can dig it up.

Your note should be short and concise. What is wrong, how many times you have tried to have it fixed...etc. You might get a response from a CEO directly, but very unlikely. Usually they give it to an assistant. I did with Lexus Canada, but it was ...Thank you for your email, I am going to refer this to my assistant for immediate attention. Got called the next morning. In my case there was a solution, but at least I didn't get some generic answer by a call center agent.

Sorry about the long post. Just trying to help.
Thank you for the kind help
Old 07-26-17 | 06:21 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by PeeVee
One of my vibration problem that I mentionned earlier. They found what it was. It is the sun roof rail.

They ordered the parts and they are going to open the whole roof to change it and insulate it.

They observed another vibration in the dash and the stearing column. I did not make a fuss about it, but still they are going to fix that as well at the same time.

Eager to see that!
They were right! Problem fixed! Happy customer!
Old 08-01-17 | 05:53 AM
scfz1000
Rookie

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I can't figure this car out!!!! Yesterday coming home from work the car was running great. The drone, vibration and even the hesitation was almost gone. Thinking to myself maybe its just getting better with some miles on it.
Today I had to run some errands and the drone, vibration was worse than ever. What the heck changes with this car, I am totally baffled, maybe thats why Lexus is having such a hard time trying to resolve this.
I have a 2011 rx350 and exact same issue...some days very quiet other days hear the drone...(no vibration though)...the days it is quiet, it reminds me of my lexus es350..the drone is very annoying and surprised that it has carried through the next generation. It is so non-lexus like.
Old 08-01-17 | 08:23 AM
DanG84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scfz1000
I have a 2011 rx350 and exact same issue...some days very quiet other days hear the drone...(no vibration though)...the days it is quiet, it reminds me of my lexus es350..the drone is very annoying and surprised that it has carried through the next generation. It is so non-lexus like.
Its the temperature outside
Old 08-01-17 | 08:37 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I'm sure that has something to do with it. I had a v6 Challenger and put after market dual exhaust on. It had Drone when the car was cold. After the exhaust was hot it went away. My RX is completely opposite, no drone when cold only after its up to full operating temperature does it happen. Wish it was the opposite.
Old 08-01-17 | 08:49 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I'm sure that has something to do with it. I had a v6 Challenger and put after market dual exhaust on. It had Drone when the car was cold. After the exhaust was hot it went away. My RX is completely opposite, no drone when cold only after its up to full operating temperature does it happen. Wish it was the opposite.
We all wish the same.
Old 08-01-17 | 07:56 PM
scfz1000
Rookie

nope...there is no rhyme to reason to it...winter, summer, fall etc..temperature has nothing to do with it as far as I can tell....someone mentioned at some point a butterfly value in the exhaust that may be getting stuck at times...but who knows...when ever i mention it to the dealer they say everything sounds normal...having the car 5 years now..i tend to ignore it/live with it but i do enjoy the suv more the days the drone is not there...
Old 08-02-17 | 02:55 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Mine has almost no vibration and no drone for the first few minutes after a cold start. If it were like that all the time I would be a happy customer. I am however learning to just ignore it and look forward to my next drone free vehicle. Two years to go, yeah.....Lol

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration