RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 05:56 AM
IXLRS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i contacted my local Lexus dealer service department about this problem and they spoke to one of their most experienced techs and found out that ....
Yes, he was aware of this problem.
Have had 3 customers complain about this.
This is a brake actuator problem.
Unclear if Lexus is working on a fix or will offer a recall in the future.
Old 08-18-17, 07:01 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLRS
i contacted my local Lexus dealer service department about this problem and they spoke to one of their most experienced techs and found out that ....
Yes, he was aware of this problem.
Have had 3 customers complain about this.
This is a brake actuator problem.
Unclear if Lexus is working on a fix or will offer a recall in the future.
How could a brake actuator cause engine noise and vibration when accelerating?
Did you post this in the wrong section?
Old 08-19-17, 04:42 PM
IXLRS
Rookie

Originally Posted by tdjacw
How could a brake actuator cause engine noise and vibration when accelerating?
Did you post this in the wrong section?
Not sure, this is just what I was told. I mentioned the drone sound and vibration at low RPM's and this is how the tech assessed where the problem lies. I did mention that I understand than this is specific to some RX 350's and not with the RX450h.

He said that makes sense because of the RX450h has a totally different braking system.
Old 08-19-17, 04:50 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXLRS
Not sure, this is just what I was told. I mentioned the drone sound and vibration at low RPM's and this is how the tech assessed where the problem lies. I did mention that I understand than this is specific to some RX 350's and not with the RX450h.

He said that makes sense because of the RX450h has a totally different braking system.
Did you have it replaced, if so did it fix the problem?
Old 08-29-17, 06:36 AM
bigkidnca
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down 2016 RX 350 Engine noise vibration

This is my 3rd Lexus and I trusted the brand that it would be another amazing car. Today I was told by the Lexus service manager the loud engine noise and vibration was a characteristic of the 2016 RX 350. OMG, Lexus knows there is an issue but not doing anything to address it. I'm at a loss. When I went online to check if any other Lexus owners had this issue, 100's came up with the same engine noise and vibration. The dealer gave me a 2017 RX350 as loaner and it does make the same noise its just much quieter and is not an issue. I asked the service manager to repair mine to the same standard of the 2017 loaner and he declined. No fix for the 2016 RX 350 with 8,800 miles on it. Needless to say I will ride out my lease and never again lease a Lexus. Lost all confidence in the brand. Back to BMW or MBZ where quality counts.

Last edited by kitlz; 08-29-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-29-17, 07:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...vibration.html
Old 08-29-17, 08:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkidnca
This is my 3rd Lexus and I trusted the brand that it would be another amazing car. Today I was told by the Lexus service manager the loud engine noise and vibration was a characteristic of the 2016 RX 350. OMG, Lexus knows there is an issue but not doing anything to address it. I'm at a loss. When I went online to check if any other Lexus owners had this issue, 100's came up with the same engine noise and vibration. The dealer gave me a 2017 RX350 as loaner and it does make the same noise its just much quieter and is not an issue. I asked the service manager to repair mine to the same standard of the 2017 loaner and he declined. No fix for the 2016 RX 350 with 8,800 miles on it. Needless to say I will ride out my lease and never again lease a Lexus. Lost all confidence in the brand. Back to BMW or MBZ where quality counts.
You lost me at the end when you said "Back to BMW or MBZ where quality counts". I have owned both and neither have much to brag about.

There are extensive threads on the RX problems, I have had great service out of both of mine.

Last edited by kitlz; 08-29-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-29-17, 06:25 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigkidnca
I have the 2017 with the same issue"
Don't waste your time on this thread, this thread should only include people experiencing this issue. It really frustrates me that other members keep saying how great and reliable this car is. It just means they haven't been burnt by Lexus yet.
I would rather have a brand that does have occasional issues, get them fixed and move on. We are stuck with this annoying issue for the life of the car. So to other members not having this issue, please stop saying how great Lexus is. Your on the wrong thread.
Old 08-29-17, 09:20 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a 2017 Lexus 350 Rx for my wife a month back, as replacement for her 2013 350 Rx. This newer on was custom ordered with almost every option excluding the ML and entertainment package. It also included the 12.3" monitor with park assist. However, my wife regularly complains that the older Lexus was much quieter and smoother to drive than the current new one, which is rough and noisy. I was hoping she would get used to it by now, but apparently not. I was also planning to replace my own 2014 MDX Advance, but after seeing the current Lexus model decided to give it a pass. A bit disappointed with the vehicle.
Old 08-29-17, 10:01 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by upnorth85
I bought a 2017 Lexus 350 Rx for my wife a month back, as replacement for her 2013 350 Rx. This newer on was custom ordered with almost every option excluding the ML and entertainment package. It also included the 12.3" monitor with park assist. However, my wife regularly complains that the older Lexus was much quieter and smoother to drive than the current new one, which is rough and noisy. I was hoping she would get used to it by now, but apparently not. I was also planning to replace my own 2014 MDX Advance, but after seeing the current Lexus model decided to give it a pass. A bit disappointed with the vehicle.
This is my first Lexus so I don't know whether previous models were quieter or smoother.
I was wondering why you never mentioned that "you" found the RX to be rough and noisy, all the complains came from your wife, yet you were passing on Lexus.
Old 08-30-17, 02:01 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Don't waste your time on this thread, this thread should only include people experiencing this issue. It really frustrates me that other members keep saying how great and reliable this car is. It just means they haven't been burnt by Lexus yet.
I would rather have a brand that does have occasional issues, get them fixed and move on. We are stuck with this annoying issue for the life of the car. So to other members not having this issue, please stop saying how great Lexus is. Your on the wrong thread.
]

Sorry but our thread, too. No problems here and the RX has done very well for me. Lexus can not make everyone happy, there are always people unhappy. I would buy another if needed.
Old 08-30-17, 08:21 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I don't have this issue with the 450h, but I know it exists, because I heard it when I was test driving several RX models. Here are my best suggestions to you & others having these unresolved problems:
1) Don't get upset with people here on the forum; they are the closest friends you have vs. the dealer & manufacturer. This applies to every make & model in the world
2) Document EVERYTHING! Take videos of your noises. Take you RX into service & get documentation each time showing due diligence to resolve the problem. The more visits you have to the dealer for the same issue, the better. Escalate your issue to the highest Lexus/Toyota levels & be persistent. Involve the General Manager of your purchasing dealer. Your objective here is to prove due diligence
3) Start talking with lemon law attorneys NOW. Don't fart around. Every manufacturer makes lemons & Lexus is not exempt. I had my last vehicle bought back from the manufacturer & I should have done it sooner. I'm very greatful for learning how to get a vehicle bought back. It's a long, painful process that is totally worth it. People will be critical of what you are doing, but always remember, there is no shame in this as you are protecting yourself
4) NEVER pay a lemon law attorney up front! Their fee will be included in your settlement & you should come out the other end of this only having "lost" or paid for the use of the vehicle for the time you own it. You should get more than the book value of the vehicle, but you may just break even. It will be worth breaking even just to move on to something else
Old 08-31-17, 12:05 PM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Last lexus

I initiated the original thread expressing my concern about excess noise (Drone) upon slow speed acceleration in December 2016. My dealer even acknowleged there was a problem.
Lexus corporate ignored the issue and stated the vehicle was within normal operating perameters..
Countless owners have confirmed the issue on this sight. The one common thread is Lexus corporate really has no regard for the customer and has no plans to deal with the issue.

It is time to accept the fact and plan for the future. First Lexus! Last Lexus! The lease expires in 15 months.
Old 09-01-17, 10:39 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mccutcj
I initiated the original thread expressing my concern about excess noise (Drone) upon slow speed acceleration in December 2016. My dealer even acknowleged there was a problem.
Lexus corporate ignored the issue and stated the vehicle was within normal operating perameters..
Countless owners have confirmed the issue on this sight. The one common thread is Lexus corporate really has no regard for the customer and has no plans to deal with the issue.

It is time to accept the fact and plan for the future. First Lexus! Last Lexus! The lease expires in 15 months.
I agree totally, I was promised a fix almost a year ago. Its pretty clear Lexus doesn't give a crap about customers having issues. Like you I will ride out my lease and stay clear of this brand. Can't believe I had better service from Chevy and Dodge. I'm sure some member will chime in and say how great Lexus is. Doesn't mean a thing to the many folks who are so unhappy with this car. So lets try and hear from the folks who actually have this issue.
Old 09-01-17, 03:13 PM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold my 16 RX about 3 months ago, I gave up on Lexus coming out with a fix, I just couldn't handle driving it anymore. It would put me in a sour mood when I drove it. I've had 5 Lexus SUV in the last 14 years and prior to the 16 model enjoyed most of them. I have since bought a different SUV and it was such an eye opener what it's like to drive to work with a normal transmission. I hope Lexus eventually comes out with a fix, as I feel everyone's pain.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration