RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17 | 08:52 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RealWing
My engineering assessment is that it is the exhaust system vibrating at its resonance frequency. It occurs in my RX at about 1600 rpm (`100 kph/60 mph). There is a second harmonic at about 3200 rpm. I can feel the vibration on the passenger inboard seatbelt. The exhaust system is excited by the exhaust pulses and the vibes usually get worse as engine load is increased (ie stronger pulses) It is crystal clear that Lexus has had this problem from day 1. All you have to do is look at the exhaust system and you will see the heavy dampers that are welded to the pipes. (There is also one on the rear subframe.) These "tuned dampers" were specifically designed to dampen vibrations in the exhaust system. Car companies will not add parts to a car due to the cost and weight increase - UNLESS engineering specifies that they are required. My $0.02.
Jim
Did you buy your Rx new?
Old 09-21-17 | 04:52 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

My guess is that he purchased it used and the previous owner tried to correct the issue by adding the dampers.
I had none on mine but have added two. It doesn't eliminate the problem but gives a slight improvement. I agree with everything he stated. I am 100% convinced that this is strictly an exhaust issue. There is no reason Lexus should not come up with a solution. I only read one post where the issue was resolved and the owner actually got the dealer to change the exhaust.
Old 09-21-17 | 04:57 AM
JSracer
Instructor

interesting, the dampers have been used on exhaust for many years across many car lines if not all to eliminate nvh problems, doesn't seem like an overly complicated tsb or fix to release.
exhaust could make sense for sure, i only felt it on the short test drive. hope there is a fix, it's a very nice vehicle to have to settle with nvh problems.
Old 09-21-17 | 05:32 AM
PaiMei
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RealWing
My engineering assessment is that it is the exhaust system vibrating at its resonance frequency. It occurs in my RX at about 1600 rpm (`100 kph/60 mph). There is a second harmonic at about 3200 rpm. I can feel the vibration on the passenger inboard seatbelt. The exhaust system is excited by the exhaust pulses and the vibes usually get worse as engine load is increased (ie stronger pulses) It is crystal clear that Lexus has had this problem from day 1. All you have to do is look at the exhaust system and you will see the heavy dampers that are welded to the pipes. (There is also one on the rear subframe.) These "tuned dampers" were specifically designed to dampen vibrations in the exhaust system. Car companies will not add parts to a car due to the cost and weight increase - UNLESS engineering specifies that they are required. My $0.02.
Jim
I was going to post the same exact thoughts a few months ago when I first started following this thread based on the reports by various users, seeing the photographs of the added dampers and my ME background. I had the same problem with my Xterra in 2007...exhaust drone sound at low RPMs, but I spent so little time at that RPM that I soon tuned it out of my head (no pun intended). The drone is most likely significantly easier to notice in the Lexus due to it's quiet interior as opposed to other vehicles like my Xterra.

Cheers
Old 09-21-17 | 06:02 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Did you buy your Rx new?
leased as a new vehicle. These dampers are all original assembly line parts. Just a guess, but I'm sure this CAN be fixed by Lexus, but would likely involve a new exhaust system front to back =$$$$$. Thus the stalling by Lexus.
Would be interesting to look at the exhaust on the new RX350 to see what is different.
Old 09-21-17 | 07:00 AM
donmatt
Driver

There has been so much discussion on this subject but very little action by Lexus to address this problem that continues to most of us. Personally I am totally disgusted with Lexus for not addressing and fixing the problem. Of course that would cost $ and they look at the bottom line. Anyway, this RX is my 55th vehicle owned with 23 of those being purchased new. This is the only new vehicle purchased with a problem that the Manufacturer would not address immediately. That is my primary disappointment with Lexus. This is the fifth (all new) Lexus I have owned but never had a problem with the others. Guess I should be grateful for that. However, I cannot understand Lexus attitude about not having satisfied and happy customers for repeat business. Unless some action is taken by Lexus to solve this problem this no doubt will by my last Lexus and honestly cannot recommend the make to others. BTW I have discontinued trips to the Dealer to hear "That is a characteristic of the RX". Just tired of it. This is a great forum. Thanks for all the participants.

Last edited by donmatt; 09-21-17 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-21-17 | 07:46 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I just e-mailed the women who was working on my case regarding this issue. I wanted to know if these dampers were now being installed from the factory. She was extremely nice and sincerely concrened, well I just got an auto reply "she no longer works for Lexus". Guess she was too nice. Lol
Old 09-21-17 | 07:58 AM
giovane
10th Gear

This thread is all about the vibration and drone noise and people who are experiencing it.
I tried to read all the pages of this thread but I couldn't figure out how many are affected by this problem.
I just bought a pre owned 12k miles 2016 AWD and I don't have this issue, but maybe I have to drive it longer in order to replicate it.

So my question. What is the in your opinion the percentage of 4th gen owners affected by this issue?
Maybe Lexus is not considering it a urgent fix since they can't see too many cars affected? My $ 0.02
Old 09-21-17 | 08:19 AM
FastFord
Racer

According to the technician that I use at Lexus....They all have it. I just found that out this morning while on a test drive for hesitation issues. Mine is very minimal compared to some he has heard, but he said they all have it to some degree. I have to try to hear it....does not bother me and if you don't know what to listen for, you to probably have a very minimal sound as well.....Be Happy!

As guxu stated below...characteristics of the rx...I don't have a vibration, but I also didn't think I had a drone. We probably have different levels of drone and vibration, and we probably have different levels of tolerance.....I'm pretty picky so I'm glad I don't have issues as bad as described by fellow members.

Last edited by FastFord; 09-21-17 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-21-17 | 08:20 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by giovane
This thread is all about the vibration and drone noise and people who are experiencing it.
I tried to read all the pages of this thread but I couldn't figure out how many are affected by this problem.
I just bought a pre owned 12k miles 2016 AWD and I don't have this issue, but maybe I have to drive it longer in order to replicate it.

So my question. What is the in your opinion the percentage of 4th gen owners affected by this issue?
Maybe Lexus is not considering it a urgent fix since they can't see too many cars affected? My $ 0.02
IMHO, it is a characteristic of the new RX, which it should not, based on the brand and the price. I do not have drone problem. But at low speed, my 17 RX is louder than my other cheap vehicles. For the driver experience, the vibration is even worse than the noise. You can tune up the radio to mask the noise, but you cannot hide the vibration. It is just like someone said, instead of feeling the road, you feel the engine.

I tested another new one, and drove a loaner (2017 model too). All have the same characteristic.
Old 09-21-17 | 09:35 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

As many of you have discribed this vibration/drone, I had a thought regarding resonance. Has anyone wrapped their exhaust with something like the old muffler tape that was used to plug rusted exhaust (before stainless steel was widely used)? It's a long shot, but could dampen the pipe from resonating thru the rest of the car. That stuff is dense & will take a lot of heat. Just a thought to pass on...
Old 09-21-17 | 09:43 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Just received this e-mail back from the Service Manager from my local dealer.

I know Lexus is aware of the concern. I also know they are working
diligently on counter measured replacement parts. There is a TSB on the way
for this concern but I am unable to provide any insight regarding a
timeframe.

I'm sure the forums will be buzzing when it is released, but if by chance I
learn of the TSB release before you I will reach out to you.

Thank you
The following 3 users liked this post by tdjacw:
donmatt (09-21-17), FastFord (09-21-17), wwwilliam (12-25-19)
Old 09-21-17 | 10:16 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Angry

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Just received this e-mail back from the Service Manager from my local dealer.

I know Lexus is aware of the concern. I also know they are working
diligently on counter measured replacement parts. There is a TSB on the way
for this concern but I am unable to provide any insight regarding a
timeframe.

I'm sure the forums will be buzzing when it is released, but if by chance I
learn of the TSB release before you I will reach out to you.

Thank you
Thank You! But will believe it when they officially announce it (TSB)... have had enough from Lexus regarding this issue.

Last edited by rbclt; 09-21-17 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-21-17 | 09:59 PM
alau2948
Driver School Candidate

I bought my 2017 RX350 FWD (built in Canada) a year ago. I noticed a bit of noise and vibration at that time, especially when going uphill.. It felt like I was driving a pick up truck. Now a year and 2000 miles later, I don't notice any noise or vibration other than a slight grunting noise from the engine. My wife drives the car to pick up and drop off kids at school, and I only drive it on the weekends so we haven't added a lot of miles to the car. I use premium unleaded gas but I don't think it makes any difference. I get around 13 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. I'm satisfied overall except for gas consumption in city driving.
Old 09-22-17 | 02:15 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alau2948
I bought my 2017 RX350 FWD (built in Canada) a year ago. I noticed a bit of noise and vibration at that time, especially when going uphill.. It felt like I was driving a pick up truck. Now a year and 2000 miles later, I don't notice any noise or vibration other than a slight grunting noise from the engine. My wife drives the car to pick up and drop off kids at school, and I only drive it on the weekends so we haven't added a lot of miles to the car. I use premium unleaded gas but I don't think it makes any difference. I get around 13 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. I'm satisfied overall except for gas consumption in city driving.
13 mpg in the city means your foot is feeling sporty for sure. Anticipating traffic patterns ahead of you and coasting makes a big difference. I watch people daily speed up like crazy only to slam on the brakes when they reach the vehicle in front of them.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration