RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 08:09 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by alau2948
I bought my 2017 RX350 FWD (built in Canada) a year ago. I noticed a bit of noise and vibration at that time, especially when going uphill.. It felt like I was driving a pick up truck. Now a year and 2000 miles later, I don't notice any noise or vibration other than a slight grunting noise from the engine.
That is my experience as well. But I am not sure if the RX is getting better or I am getting used to the noise and vibration
The following users liked this post:
alau2948 (09-23-17)
Old 09-23-17, 05:11 AM
alau2948
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
That is my experience as well. But I am not sure if the RX is getting better or I am getting used to the noise and vibration
I was carpooling with my colleague the other day. He had an Acura MDX, and he said my Lexus was just as quiet as his MDX....no noticeable difference.
Old 09-23-17, 07:57 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by alau2948
I was carpooling with my colleague the other day. He had an Acura MDX, and he said my Lexus was just as quiet as his MDX....no noticeable difference.
The noise/vibration varies from one RX to another. My RX is actually louder than my Toyota Camry on take off. Also has vibration that the Camry doesn't have or any other new vehicle I have owned. Its not terrible, just not right. Sounds like you got a good one.
Aldo211 (10-05-19)
Old 09-24-17, 09:24 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

Last night on the freeway, on a newly- paved section of road, going about 75mph, the car developed a noticeable resonant whine, like the sound of squealing tires. Not constant, but would come and go. Don't happen on older road surfaces. Anyone else have this experience?
Old 09-25-17, 01:48 PM
scfz1000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaiMei
I was going to post the same exact thoughts a few months ago when I first started following this thread based on the reports by various users, seeing the photographs of the added dampers and my ME background. I had the same problem with my Xterra in 2007...exhaust drone sound at low RPMs, but I spent so little time at that RPM that I soon tuned it out of my head (no pun intended). The drone is most likely significantly easier to notice in the Lexus due to it's quiet interior as opposed to other vehicles like my Xterra.

Cheers
for a car company that can get it right with the es350, gs350 and ls. (no drone/vibration) ...not sure how they could miss this on the RX....seems like very basic engineering to me...
tdjacw (09-27-17)
Old 09-27-17, 11:15 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

My question has been, is the drone an the vibration the same issue. I have had cars with bad drone (after market exhaust) but I don't remember getting any vibration. As I put some mileage on my RX the drone has gotten much better but the Vibration is still the same.
To be honest the vibration is much more annoying than any drone I had. I feel the vibration every time I accelerate. It's not terrible but it's enough to be annoying especially for a vehicle of this price. Hopefully Lexus will come up with a real fix, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 09-27-17, 11:55 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I feel the vibration every time I accelerate. It's not terrible but it's enough to be annoying especially for a vehicle of this price.
This!
Old 09-27-17, 12:17 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
My question has been, is the drone an the vibration the same issue. I have had cars with bad drone (after market exhaust) but I don't remember getting any vibration. As I put some mileage on my RX the drone has gotten much better but the Vibration is still the same.
To be honest the vibration is much more annoying than any drone I had. I feel the vibration every time I accelerate. It's not terrible but it's enough to be annoying especially for a vehicle of this price. Hopefully Lexus will come up with a real fix, but I'm not counting on it.
I honestly don't notice either one. Some minor exhaust noise I guess but nothing you wouldn't hear in other similar cars and I test drove them all before deciding on the RX.
Old 09-29-17, 12:04 PM
lefty75
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I honestly don't notice either one. Some minor exhaust noise I guess but nothing you wouldn't hear in other similar cars and I test drove them all before deciding on the RX.
You got a good one, this thread doesn't pertain to your vehicle, enjoy.
Old 10-03-17, 06:56 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I own a 2015 RX-350 with the luxury package. While it's in the shop for some collision repair Lexus gave me a 2017 RX-350 (non-F Sport) loaner with 7500 miles on it. The road and wind noise is about the same as my 2015 which means it's not terrible but much noisier than my 2015 ES-350. Both have Bridgestone tires. I also had the chance to drive a 2017 Chrysler minivan a month ago while my Jeep Wrangler was in for inspection. The minivan was dead quiet inside, almost inaudible road and wind noise. We even drove past a lawn mower and you couldn't hear the mower at all. It was THAT quiet. No fan of minivans here and I realize that the Chrysler will fall apart long long before the Lexus.. but ..... why can't the Lexus be that quiet. Subjectively I consider both RX's mentioned above to have an annoying level of road noise. Even my dad's RAV4 is quieter inside than the RX's. My 2015 RX has most of the road noise coming from the rear of the car. The 2017 RX has road noise coming in from both the front and rear as well as loud clunks when going over railroad tracks. The Chrysler minivan also had seats do die for. My 2015 RX has decent seats (analine leather), the ES-350 better seats than the 2015 RX and the new 2017 RX has seats that were hard as a rock! They were very soft on the front and sides and hard as a rock in the middle and near the back of the seat bottoms which bottomed out quickly as you sat in them. Much like sitting on a hard board. Neither of the RX's 2015/2017 has any vibration but he 2017 does have a very noticeable and annoying throttle lag. In all fairness the 2017 has a lot of nice features and refinements that the 2015 does not have!
Old 10-03-17, 06:59 AM
nas2344
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I was surprised about the amount of noise you hear inside the rx
Old 10-03-17, 07:43 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Funny because mine is dead quiet. On the highway we can whisper and hear eachother.

Never had a vehicle this well insulated!

* But then I remember that I took the anti-rust / noise insulation option (it comes together) (especially done between the cabin and engine).
Old 10-03-17, 08:28 AM
rcworks
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've driven myself crazy trying to listen to this vibration and noise, turning radio off, turning ac off, listening at low rpm's, and to a point where we put a cigraette butt, spread one end to make it dance- we used to do this growing up and we put it on top of speakers and the vibration will make it move - put it on top of the console and on the dash and nothing.
i am done looking and lsitening. it is driving me mad.
Old 10-03-17, 08:32 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by rcworks
i've driven myself crazy trying to listen to this vibration and noise, turning radio off, turning ac off, listening at low rpm's, and to a point where we put a cigraette butt, spread one end to make it dance- we used to do this growing up and we put it on top of speakers and the vibration will make it move - put it on top of the console and on the dash and nothing.
i am done looking and lsitening. it is driving me mad.
sounds like you don't have an issue. the one i drove was very obvious at tip in, you could feel the steering wheel vibrate noticeably.
or are you saying you have it and can't locate it ??
Old 10-03-17, 10:43 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I have to agree with the outside noise level. My brother has a 2017 Chevy Traverse and my wife has a 2016 Chevy Tahoe. Both are quieter inside. As far as the vibration goes I can feel a buzz in the steering wheel every time I accelerate. It's not terrible but certainly noticeable.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration