RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 04:38 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by soholexus
This is scary! I am considering an RX 350 F sports and this doesn't sound good.
could look 450, I went that route with the advice of others here. Very happy I did seeing threads like this.
Old 01-16-18, 09:30 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Maisie
I bought my RX350 25 days ago and felt the noise and vibration on the way home!Drove back to dealer right away and a Japanese engineer concluded that the car need to repaired.Two engine mounts and a exhaust pipe need to be replaced.But they dont have the parts and dont know when they will be available yet. Soooooo regret that I didnt read the discussions here before making decision .I refuse to drive the car and dropped it back. The Lexus doesnt care at all! They told me that's not a problem,dont care about it .Enjoy your driving. Thinking about buy back and byebye Lexus.
Are they going to do the repair eventually though? It's rare in Canada that an engineer from corporate would provide any opinion based on what I've read on these forums.
Old 01-17-18, 01:15 AM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK so here is another rant. Did hours of research on RX350 and liked what the professional reviewers said about the new RX. Assuming that Lexus would provide the smoothness that my other 21 year old ES still continues to provide me, I bought the 2017 RX 350 AWD (non-F Sport) just weeks back. Test drove and did feel some vibration in low RPM but the sales person said its just a torque setting etc. that can be adjusted when you bring the car in anytime. The vibrations continued, so I searched for it; and stumbled on this thread.

Same problem: throaty vibration at low RPM. Scheduled a check up with the dealer service. The foreman's very first comment as he sat down with me was:

"I'm only doing this for your satisfaction. The droning noise / vibration is normal characteristic for this car! Droning is what Lexus engineers call it - I did not come up with the name. I won't be able to fix it - I'm a mechanic, not a Lexus auto engineer".

If I would've not read this thread, I would likely be furious (still am), but at least he was candid in what clearly seemed to be a known issue. We anyway went for a ride and he admitted he could hear/feel, and said it seemed like an exhaust issue, not engine/transmission, but he still cannot fix anything until Lexus tells him. I leave the car with them for a day to test with a master technician and contact Lexus.

I get a call from the dealer today. They said the master technician and the foreman were able to replicate the exact same vibration/noise in another 2017 RX350 on their lot. They called Toyota/Lexus and were told ...wait for it..." this is normal operating characteristic for this vehicle!" The dealer sympathized with me when I questioned what was normal about vibration in a 50K car that I purchased purely for its legendary smoothness; and said he got a case number from Lexus if I wanted to pursue it further myself. They noted everything in the service log. I asked if the TSB, exhaust mounts, reprogramming the transmission - absolutely anything that would help reduce it - and he said if there was such a fix then Lexus would have told him and that the TSB did not apply to my car (late 2017 build).

I went through some of the video reviews I reviewed prior to purchase just to see if I missed something and it's interesting to see that none of them mention this issue at all! Redline comes closest in mentioning that the transmission moves to find the highest gear but absolutely no mention of vibration/noise and in fact still praises the car for smoothness.

I plan to chase up with Lexus now but having read through this thread (and wishing I did this before I bought the car), I'm keeping fingers crossed this gets fixed! Any tips, please do post here!
The following 2 users liked this post by rraheja:
alan2955 (12-06-22), Aldo211 (10-05-19)
Old 01-17-18, 03:03 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rraheja
OK so here is another rant. Did hours of research on RX350 and liked what the professional reviewers said about the new RX. Assuming that Lexus would provide the smoothness that my other 21 year old ES still continues to provide me, I bought the 2017 RX 350 AWD (non-F Sport) just weeks back. Test drove and did feel some vibration in low RPM but the sales person said its just a torque setting etc. that can be adjusted when you bring the car in anytime. The vibrations continued, so I searched for it; and stumbled on this thread.

Same problem: throaty vibration at low RPM. Scheduled a check up with the dealer service. The foreman's very first comment as he sat down with me was:

"I'm only doing this for your satisfaction. The droning noise / vibration is normal characteristic for this car! Droning is what Lexus engineers call it - I did not come up with the name. I won't be able to fix it - I'm a mechanic, not a Lexus auto engineer".

If I would've not read this thread, I would likely be furious (still am), but at least he was candid in what clearly seemed to be a known issue. We anyway went for a ride and he admitted he could hear/feel, and said it seemed like an exhaust issue, not engine/transmission, but he still cannot fix anything until Lexus tells him. I leave the car with them for a day to test with a master technician and contact Lexus.

I get a call from the dealer today. They said the master technician and the foreman were able to replicate the exact same vibration/noise in another 2017 RX350 on their lot. They called Toyota/Lexus and were told ...wait for it..." this is normal operating characteristic for this vehicle!" The dealer sympathized with me when I questioned what was normal about vibration in a 50K car that I purchased purely for its legendary smoothness; and said he got a case number from Lexus if I wanted to pursue it further myself. They noted everything in the service log. I asked if the TSB, exhaust mounts, reprogramming the transmission - absolutely anything that would help reduce it - and he said if there was such a fix then Lexus would have told him and that the TSB did not apply to my car (late 2017 build).

I went through some of the video reviews I reviewed prior to purchase just to see if I missed something and it's interesting to see that none of them mention this issue at all! Redline comes closest in mentioning that the transmission moves to find the highest gear but absolutely no mention of vibration/noise and in fact still praises the car for smoothness.

I plan to chase up with Lexus now but having read through this thread (and wishing I did this before I bought the car), I'm keeping fingers crossed this gets fixed! Any tips, please do post here!
Haven't Lexus sold something like 100,000 plus of those cars in the US year after year - they are NOT all bad. You were told it's the normal operating characteristic of this vehicle but they don't all have the problem. Haven't heard of this problem elsewhere in the world - here in Australia I don't believe the problem exists.

"Test drove and did feel some vibration in low RPM but the sales person said its just a torque setting etc. that can be adjusted when you bring the car in anytime." Sounds like a sales person trying to sell a car - doesn't matter if it's a cheap Kia or a Lexus they're all liars. Have you spoken to the sales person about this now?
Old 01-17-18, 09:13 AM
Maisie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
May I ask what your build date is which located on the sticker on the driver's door jamb? Thanks.
The car is not here now.Sorry.
Old 01-17-18, 09:14 AM
Maisie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by computerwi
Are they going to do the repair eventually though? It's rare in Canada that an engineer from corporate would provide any opinion based on what I've read on these forums.
Yes,they promise they will repair when they recieve the parts from Lexus.But they don't know when it will be available.
The engineer only told us some parts need to be replaced.
The reply from Lexus told us which parts need to be replaced.
Fortunately,today my dealer will try to apply for a car exchanged for me .So I cant say "Lexus doesn't care at all". Sorry for my mistake.

Last edited by Maisie; 01-17-18 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added an answer
Old 01-17-18, 09:50 AM
soholexus
Driver School Candidate

Default .

Originally Posted by JSracer
could look 450, I went that route with the advice of others here. Very happy I did seeing threads like this.
RX450 is beyond my budget. Besides, the trunk space is smaller and it requires premium fuel. The RX350 doesn't need premium fuel.
Old 01-17-18, 10:14 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes,they promise they will repair when they recieve the parts from Lexus.But they don't know when it will be available.
Fortunately,today my dealer will try to apply for a car exchanged for me .So I cant say "Lexus doesn't care at all". Sorry for my mistake.

Maybe this is going to be the future TSB for the vibration. From what I have experienced, it seems like the motor mounts could definitely be the cause of the vibration. Just hope they come out with a fix before my lease is over. Its been well over a year when I was promised that my car would be fixed.
The following users liked this post:
Maisie (01-17-18)
Old 01-17-18, 11:55 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by soholexus
RX450 is beyond my budget. Besides, the trunk space is smaller and it requires premium fuel. The RX350 doesn't need premium fuel.
FYI the trunk space is the same. The batteries are hidden underneath the rear passenger seats so the trunk size is the same.

Some folks are putting in premium in their RX350 anyway to lessen the effect of the noise and vibrations to some extent. You have a chance to avoid all the problems some experience with their 350.
Old 01-17-18, 12:15 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

My RX-450 came form the dealer with 87 octane fuel and runs great on it. I've tried 93 octane and it runs the same, really can't tell the difference.
Old 01-18-18, 07:24 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw

Maybe this is going to be the future TSB for the vibration. From what I have experienced, it seems like the motor mounts could definitely be the cause of the vibration. Just hope they come out with a fix before my lease is over. Its been well over a year when I was promised that my car would be fixed.
Good to hear. Hopefully a TSB is on the way.

I thought it might be engine mounts too, but when I apply throttle while the vehicle is in Park or Neutral, there is no vibration. I'm convinced it's an exhaust issue. I feel it through the armrest, gear selector, center console and steering wheel so it must be near the front part of the exhaust system.
The following users liked this post:
pa1thak (01-22-18)
Old 01-19-18, 06:42 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
FYI the trunk space is the same. The batteries are hidden underneath the rear passenger seats so the trunk size is the same.

Some folks are putting in premium in their RX350 anyway to lessen the effect of the noise and vibrations to some extent. You have a chance to avoid all the problems some experience with their 350.
i think one of the batteries is under the rear mat next to the spare tire, where there is a storage compartment in the 350.
Old 01-19-18, 07:08 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
i think one of the batteries is under the rear mat next to the spare tire, where there is a storage compartment in the 350.
correct, the bucket area left of the spare is not there on a 450.
Old 01-19-18, 08:57 AM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I too have this issue.
Very annoying vibration at 1500rpm
Old 01-19-18, 09:21 AM
Googs
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be test driving a RX 2017 F sport today. How should I replicate the droning/vibration to make sure my vehicle does not have it? What other things should I check for?

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration