RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 11:49 AM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by rraheja
Dropped car off for the TSB; the part has been ordered. Keeping fingers crossed it takes care of the vibration too.

I did bring up with the service manager the exhaust damper solution referenced earlier, so please do post your post-TSB experience if it removes the vibration completely and if there is still a need for yet another exhaust damper even after the TSB fix. Thanks.
TSB applied. Drone noise reduced, however, vibration still exists. Maybe reduced a tad bit, but could also be a placebo effect.

Tech test drove another vehicle and was hard pressed to find a vibration since the transmission would just not want to go above 1500rpm, however, my loaner RX (same model/year) did not have the vibration.

Requested for FTS to come out, but was told no promises, though the service folks were super nice, and even reset the transmission memory to try to see if it made a difference.

So now, it seems the only option to live with this seems to be to install the damper solution, but given the new exhaust pipe already has it, not even sure if will solve the vibration or have adverse consequences.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-02-18, 12:37 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

TSB applied. Drone noise reduced, however, vibration still exists. Maybe reduced a tad bit, but could also be a placebo effect.

Tech test drove another vehicle and was hard pressed to find a vibration since the transmission would just not want to go above 1500rpm, however, my loaner RX (same model/year) did not have the vibration.

Requested for FTS to come out, but was told no promises, though the service folks were super nice, and even reset the transmission memory to try to see if it made a difference.

So now, it seems the only option to live with this seems to be to install the damper solution, but given the new exhaust pipe already has it, not even sure if will solve the vibration or have adverse consequences.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Same here, TSB done vibration is actually worse. Complained to the service manager. We took another RX out and he agreed mine had more vibration but there really isn’t anything he could do. Over a year waiting for a fix and this is what we get. What a joke, So disappointing.
Old 02-02-18, 07:31 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Does the TSB involve putting one of those dampers on? As I assume you saw RealWing (Jim) had installed two of those dampers, maybe that's the way to go. I can't imagine there would be any adverse consequences. (except to your pocket)
Old 02-02-18, 07:35 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw

Same here, TSB done vibration is actually worse. Complained to the service manager. We took another RX out and he agreed mine had more vibration but there really isn’t anything he could do. Over a year waiting for a fix and this is what we get. What a joke, So disappointing.
Wondering if it's something to do with how the pipes are joined together, the torquing of the bolts maybe. The service guys may not have done it correctly. Really strange how this vibration problem only exist in the States, here in Australia there's no sign of it.
Old 02-02-18, 10:03 PM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Does the TSB involve putting one of those dampers on? As I assume you saw RealWing (Jim) had installed two of those dampers, maybe that's the way to go. I can't imagine there would be any adverse consequences. (except to your pocket)
The TSB involves changing the entire center exhaust pipe with a new one that has a damper already welded. The TSB even goes as far as to mention this will REDUCE the noise, NOT eliminate it. Am just wondering if adding a second damper would have eliminated it why wouldn't they have done it if they anyway waited for a year+ to issue this fix. All logic aside, the consumer in me just wants to put the second damper anyway to move on even if it costs another $50 out of pocket. But having no experience in car repairs, would appreciate if anyone here who had already put the dampers before can try out their dampers with the TSB applied.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-18, 04:43 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

[QUOTE=rraheja;10101980]The TSB involves changing the entire center exhaust pipe with a new one that has a damper already welded. The TSB even goes as far as to mention this will REDUCE the noise, NOT eliminate it. Am just wondering if adding a second damper would have eliminated it why wouldn't they have done it if they anyway waited for a year+ to issue this fix. All logic aside, the consumer in me just wants to put the second damper anyway to move on even if it costs another $50 out of pocket. But having no experience in car repairs, would appreciate if anyone here who had already put the dampers before can try out their dampers with the TSB applied.

I am going to install my two dampers in addition to the TSB. I hope I get the same results as before. Now with a completely different pipe it might have changed the resonate frequency, in my case it was a negative result. The service manager checked to see who worked on my car and said it was the best Tech they have and would trust him with his own car. Dealer and service manager are really nice but to be honest they are caught in the middle of a bad design from Lexus.
Whats difficult here for Lexus is the inconsistency from vehicle to vehicle. The loaner RX they gave me had horrible Drone but no vibration. Mine has very little drone but noticeable vibration. Manager said trying to get a fix that would address both is very difficult. Just strange that with all the cars Ive purchased over the years none have had a characteristic like this. Really suprised that Lexus still has this in production with no resolve.

Last edited by tdjacw; 02-03-18 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-03-18, 05:16 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

feel for you that are caught up in trying to get a fix. hope something comes along soon,
the vibration would have drove me insane since i spent many years at dealers working on NVH amongst other things. i felt the vibration on a few test drives, and was told its the luck of the draw, and they are aware of some complaints. i went 450 to avoid the situation but my inlaws have a 350 and they say it's perfect. (i have not ridden in it)
Old 02-03-18, 09:26 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I’m not advocating for any attorney & I’m not being a hater. Those that have had this TSB performed & are still having issues, need to get their ducks (documentation) in a row & open up the highest level case with Lexus as possible. Also, start talking with lemon law attorneys. This isn’t going to get any better until there is a total redesign. Apparently, Lexus thinks this is a small problem & not worth messing with. Do you want to be miserable every time you drive your new Lexus? I wouldn’t. Brand loyalty went out the window years ago. It’s all about corporate profits now & very little to do about customer satisfaction. Put your loyalty aside & take some action. Also, talk with your dealer General Manager & tell them you are are really dissatisfied with your Lexus purchase & see if they will trade you out with little to no money. It’s worth a shot. I feel for you guys that have this problem. As I said earlier, I’m not a hater. This is my first Lexus, but I’m not sure I would buy another anytime soon, based on how they have handled this & the mediocre service I have received. I just don’t see that much of a difference from other brands, but I’ve only delt with one dealer so far.
The following users liked this post:
pa1thak (02-05-18)
Old 02-03-18, 12:01 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts

Nissan's Japan headquarters is approximately 100km (60+ miles) away from Saclam. Saclam is a master of exhaust systems. I wonder if this system needs a back pressure tube to help with lower-end torque and power in the lower rpm range? This could conceivably eliminate the drone; drone can lead to vibration. Does anyone from Nissan Japan participate or read this forum? It would be interesting if Nissan took an RX to Saclam and asked them to assist in resolving the issues.
Old 02-03-18, 12:15 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
Nissan's Japan headquarters is approximately 100km (60+ miles) away from Saclam. Saclam is a master of exhaust systems. I wonder if this system needs a back pressure tube to help with lower-end torque and power in the lower rpm range? This could conceivably eliminate the drone; drone can lead to vibration. Does anyone from Nissan Japan participate or read this forum? It would be interesting if Nissan took an RX to Saclam and asked them to assist in resolving the issues.
Great point! I have wondered something similar - if anyone had replaced the factory exhaust with something different. A well engineered performance car (hot rod) may be louder, but it doesn’t drone & it produces more power where it’s needed, either top end or bottom end. There hasn’t been enough research & testing put to this issue yet. Perhaps some individuals will come up with a fix...
Old 02-03-18, 12:38 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I reinstalled my dampers and it didn’t help. My vibration seems like its in a greater range now. It starts around 1300 up to 1800 rpms. Should have left it alone, this TSB was the worse thing I could have done. Im going to try moving the dampers around. Absolutely ridicules that I have to be under a new vehicle trying to fix what shouldn’t be broken.

I caution anyone who is about to get this TSB done. It could actually make things worse!

Last edited by tdjacw; 02-03-18 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-03-18, 01:35 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I reinstalled my dampers and it didn’t help. My vibration seems like its in a greater range now. It starts around 1300 up to 1800 rpms. Should have left it alone, this TSB was the worse thing I could have done. Im going to try moving the dampers around. Absolutely ridicules that I have to be under a new vehicle trying to fix what shouldn’t be broken.

I caution anyone who is about to get this TSB done. It could actually make things worse!
Can you ask for your old parts back? I had a Buick once (back when the max speed limit was 55) that the transmission would flutter between 40 & 50 mph. They had a TSB where they changed the chip that changed the shift points. The flutter went away, but my fuel mileage went from 26 mpg highway down to 22 mpg highway. That was a huge difference for me as I was driving several hundred miles every few days. I had them change it back & I put up with the flutter.
Old 02-03-18, 05:31 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I suggested they put the old pipe back. Service Manager would like a Lexus FT who comes once a month to drive it and make the case that it has more vibration than others. I know he will drive it and chalk it up to a normal characteristic of the vehicle. Really tired of this, to be honest, I have a year and a half left on the lease. If I had purchaed it I would just trade it in and not for another Lexus.
Old 02-03-18, 06:17 PM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Wiow, that is really unfortunate. Man, I'd be some ticked.

Where did you reinstall the dampers on this new pipe??

Jim
Attached Thumbnails 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration-new-cat-converter-pipe.jpg  
Old 02-04-18, 05:20 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RealWing
Wiow, that is really unfortunate. Man, I'd be some ticked.

Where did you reinstall the dampers on this new pipe??

Jim
The new pipe is physically different, looking at your pic I placed the two dampers at the very bottom. That's pretty much where I had them prior to the TSB. I just moved them right in front of their damper. Seems slighty better. It's so weird, when the exhaust is cold it's slight. It gets more pronounced when the exhaust gets up to temperature. So frustrating.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration