RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18 | 03:28 PM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Another update I thought I'd share. Along with the TSB fix, I had requested resetting transmission ECU memory in case it was an issue with early gear changes. Since then I only drove in Normal mode and found the vibration now exists at any speed whenever the engine touches 1500 rpm. In the Normal and Eco mode, the engine likes to always get to 1200 rpm as soon as it can.

Today, I decided to try the Eco mode again after the TSB and ECU reset. Interestingly, it behaved similarly to Sport mode now i.e. it seemed to hold on to the gears longer; and it would drop down to 1200 rpm only after a long time, instead it stayed at 1600-1800 rpm most of the time, even on the highway at 60mph. Also, the vibration was quite reduced, even with the light throttle when it would touch 1500 rpm, I could feel the "engine/transmission" load, instead of a "vibration" i.e. it was not as smooth, but at least it wasn't vibrating as much. Not sure if anyone else has noticed the same after the TSB or after having reset the ECU memory.

Also heard back from Lexus. FTS declined to come see the vehicle since there's no other fix, and the vehicle is operating "under normal parameters".
Old 02-08-18 | 08:51 AM
PaiMei
Driver School Candidate

Default What's so special about 1,500 rpm?

Has anyone actually googled “1500 rpm drone”?

Out of curiosity I performed the above search after hearing and feeling exhaust/engine drone at 1,500 rpm in my work truck (Chevy Silverado). I also noted it in my Nissan Xterra.

Below are the manufacturers noted on the 1st and 2nd pages of the above referenced search:
  • Dodge
  • Subaru
  • Ford
  • Toyota
  • Acura
  • Honda
  • Nissan
  • Audi
Old 02-08-18 | 09:01 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by PaiMei

Out of curiosity I performed the above search after hearing and feeling exhaust/engine drone at 1,500 rpm in my work truck (Chevy Silverado). I also noted it in my Nissan Xterra.

Below are the manufacturers noted on the 1st and 2nd pages of the above referenced search:
  • Dodge
  • Subaru
  • Ford
  • Toyota
  • Acura
  • Honda
  • Nissan
  • Audi
I’m not trying to be sarcastic, but I’m not sure of the relevance of this. Every vehicle will have a “drone” at certain RPMs, because it’s an internal combustion engine & certain RPMs generate certain frequencies - not all are bad or completely avoidable. The Lexus issue is an otherwise quiet vehicle suddenly starts making weird noises & vibrations that are very noticeable over normal operation. I think your search is too generic & wide. Try narrowing your parameters that limit certain decibels & frequencies on a Lexus/Toyota. Having information on a Chevrolet Silverado doesn’t help a Lexus owner with this drone/vibration issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
ravenuer (02-08-18), tdjacw (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18 | 03:40 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PaiMei

• Dodge
  • Subaru
  • Ford
  • Toyota
  • Acura
  • Honda
  • Nissan
  • Audi
Disagree 100%, Between my wife and myself we have purchased over 30 new vehicles over the years. Not one of them exhibited these conditions. This is flat out no question a poor design from Lexus. You can sugar coat it however you like but everytime I drive my car I can’t help think how could Lexus get away with saying every degree of vibration and noise is normal. Again this has nothing to do with the dealerships, they cannot redesign the car. The fix that Lexus came up with is nothing short of a joke. Justed traded my Drone noise for vibration. The car is so annoying now to drive and no matter how hard I complain it will fall under the generic “its normal”. I got so annoyed at the Service Manager because all he did on the test drive was hit the gas hard so it wouldn’t be it the vibration RPM range. Trying to convince me that nothing is wrong. I just don’t have the time or energy to pursue this any longer.

Old 02-09-18 | 11:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tdjacw

Disagree 100%, Between my wife and myself we have purchased over 30 new vehicles over the years. Not one of them exhibited these conditions. This is flat out no question a poor design from Lexus. You can sugar coat it however you like but everytime I drive my car I can’t help think how could Lexus get away with saying every degree of vibration and noise is normal. Again this has nothing to do with the dealerships, they cannot redesign the car. The fix that Lexus came up with is nothing short of a joke. Justed traded my Drone noise for vibration. The car is so annoying now to drive and no matter how hard I complain it will fall under the generic “its normal”. I got so annoyed at the Service Manager because all he did on the test drive was hit the gas hard so it wouldn’t be it the vibration RPM range. Trying to convince me that nothing is wrong. I just don’t have the time or energy to pursue this any longer.

You mean you had the drone, they performed the TSB and now you have vibration that you didn't have before? I agree that would be annoying.
Old 02-09-18 | 11:38 AM
minusplus
Rookie

So-Cal drivers, what dealership did you take your car into? I called Westminster Lexus and they said that they're aware of the problem but no official TSB fix from corporate yet.
Old 02-09-18 | 11:41 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by minusplus
So-Cal drivers, what dealership did you take your car into? I called Westminster Lexus and they said that they're aware of the problem but no official TSB fix from corporate yet.
The actual TSB is published here within this thread. I would question that a dealer in the SoCal area saying it doesn’t know about this TSB. But, perhaps they don’t want their customers to jump into this & be even more upset when the drone turns into constant vibrations...it could be either.
Old 02-09-18 | 12:18 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Tustin lexus got it done for me no problem

I spoke with AL
The following 2 users liked this post by aznkorboi:
alin1390 (01-10-20), minusplus (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18 | 01:28 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Tustin lexus got it done for me no problem

I spoke with AL
Thanks! How's your car lately?
Old 02-12-18 | 07:37 AM
chshwong
Driver School Candidate

Does this issue only happens in cold weather?
Does the RX450H hybrid also have this issue?

Thank you!
Old 02-12-18 | 07:40 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks! How's your car lately?
No issues every since the fix. I didn't' realize how much droning I had before. Now it's just quiet.
Old 02-12-18 | 07:46 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by chshwong
Does this issue only happens in cold weather?
Does the RX450H hybrid also have this issue?

Thank you!
Please spend some time & read this tread.
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (02-12-18)
Old 02-12-18 | 12:31 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
No issues every since the fix. I didn't' realize how much droning I had before. Now it's just quiet.
That's good to hear. I spoke with Al and will be dropping off my SUV tomorrow morning. He mentioned that you were his only customer with the drone sound and said that it should only take a day or two at the most for repair. Thanks for being the guinea pig lol.
Old 02-12-18 | 01:28 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

That's good to hear. I spoke with Al and will be dropping off my SUV tomorrow morning. He mentioned that you were his only customer with the drone sound and said that it should only take a day or two at the most for repair. Thanks for being the guinea pig lol.
lol.
The master tech I drove with about another issue told me had a lot of ppl complain about the droning RX to get fixed. But yes, no droning sound anymore. SOunds good.
Old 02-13-18 | 01:35 PM
SmithyINC
Driver School Candidate

Default Houston dealer said no parts available in country

I am very disappointed as my local Lexus dealer sent me an email saying that they are aware of the TSB but the parts are not available and there is no ETA. I also just received an email saying there are no parts available in the country. This seems bizarre and I really can’t believe it. Has anyone in Houston heard this yet? Or has anyone in Houston gotten the TSB applied so I can go to that dealer? This is all ridiculous.