RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 06:34 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by minusplus
That's good to hear. I spoke with Al and will be dropping off my SUV tomorrow morning. He mentioned that you were his only customer with the drone sound and said that it should only take a day or two at the most for repair. Thanks for being the guinea pig lol.
can you let me know when yours is complete and if it made a difference?
Old 02-14-18, 11:12 AM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
can you let me know when yours is complete and if it made a difference?
Definitely. The tech is going to look at my SUV today, so hopefully i'll know more in the afternoon.
Old 02-14-18, 10:13 PM
huihui
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw

Well that’s really discuraging, makes me wonder if I should even waste my time. Can’t believe that waiting over a year for a fix and it didn’t work.
just found this on the internet. I am going to ask if the dealership is willing to do it.

My 2016 RX 350 was having the same issue with a cold start. I brought it to my Lexus dealer and it ended up being excessive clearance of the exhaust manifold. My paperwork says replace right side exhaust manifold, gasket & gasket exhaust pipe. Once this was all replaced the noise is gone. Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-18, 12:16 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tustin Lexus contacted me and said they confirmed the droning sound from my exhaust. They've ordered a replacement exhaust pipe but won't be delivered until early March.
Old 02-16-18, 01:21 PM
TPK
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rx350 Vibration noise FX

I have a RX350 AWD 2016. For the past year I have listened to that vibration/drone noise when I accelerate
and complained to Lexus many times. I then filed a Lemon Law complaint three days ago. My Lexus dealer
called me this morning to say Lexus has finally issued a fix. They say the noise is due to the catalytic converter
and muffler design. They will have parts available in March and will do the swap out. They say a car enthusiast
mentioned an add on to his muffler with dampers on this site, using rubber dampers. The new design has all
new parts, not add ons. I hope it works. Will post when the fix is completed.
Old 02-16-18, 01:37 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TPK
I have a RX350 AWD 2016. For the past year I have listened to that vibration/drone noise when I accelerate
and complained to Lexus many times. I then filed a Lemon Law complaint three days ago. My Lexus dealer
called me this morning to say Lexus has finally issued a fix. They say the noise is due to the catalytic converter
and muffler design. They will have parts available in March and will do the swap out. They say a car enthusiast
mentioned an add on to his muffler with dampers on this site, using rubber dampers. The new design has all
new parts, not add ons. I hope it works. Will post when the fix is completed.
I had the TSB done two weeks ago, it reduced the drone slightly but has increased the vibration. The service Manager said he has a conference call setup with Lexus regarding my issue. I would really like them to swap out the entire exhaust. I seriously doubt that will happen but I will keep pushing for that. I wouldn’t get your hopes up to high cause you could end up like me with significant vibration. I really hope you have better luck than me.
Old 02-16-18, 05:48 PM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw

I had the TSB done two weeks ago, it reduced the drone slightly but has increased the vibration. The service Manager said he has a conference call setup with Lexus regarding my issue. I would really like them to swap out the entire exhaust. I seriously doubt that will happen but I will keep pushing for that. I wouldn’t get your hopes up to high cause you could end up like me with significant vibration. I really hope you have better luck than me.
Same situation here. When the FTS declined to check my car, today I had the service manager and technician take a test drive to at least document the vibration post-TSB. Both test drove and acknowledged it on the service report and promised to send the info to corporate, but no promises on when (or if ever) the fix will come. They also said that Lexus knows about the issue and hence since the FTS would not find anything new, they had declined to come see my vehicle.
Old 02-17-18, 04:34 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rraheja
Same situation here. When the FTS declined to check my car, today I had the service manager and technician take a test drive to at least document the vibration post-TSB. Both test drove and acknowledged it on the service report and promised to send the info to corporate, but no promises on when (or if ever) the fix will come. They also said that Lexus knows about the issue and hence since the FTS would not find anything new, they had declined to come see my vehicle.
I was supposed to receive a call from the service Manager who scheduled a call with Lexus to discuss the vibration. That was three days ago, well since I did not hear from him I can only assume their not going to do anything else. Figures😢
Old 02-20-18, 10:31 AM
alau2948
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to share some info....I have a friend who bought a 2017 RX350 AWD. I rode with him last week and did not hear any noise or vibration and he said it was quiet even when it was brand new. I checked his VIN and it was built in Japan. Not sure if that means anything. Mine was built in Canada and I had vibrations at first but not anymore after 3K miles.
Old 02-20-18, 10:39 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alau2948
I would like to share some info....I have a friend who bought a 2017 RX350 AWD. I rode with him last week and did not hear any noise or vibration and he said it was quiet even when it was brand new. I checked his VIN and it was built in Japan. Not sure if that means anything. Mine was built in Canada and I had vibrations at first but not anymore after 3K miles.
Maybe they use a different supplier for the exhaust parts. Not surprised.
The following users liked this post:
alau2948 (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 11:49 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Everything made in Japan is vastly superior,due to the Japanese obsession with perfection It’s not surprising that markets like ours in Australia have zero issues, particularly in regards to vibrations or harshness and the transmissions a silky smooth . I guess when you are paying $110K for a car that is approximately $55K in the USA the difference isn’t all taxes and exchange rates . I’m also seeing the conversation threads about so many owners wanting to save money and take their cars to Toyota dealerships or even the local service shop… Maybe this attitude with saving money It is also translated to local factories, as opposed to the Japanese market?
alau2948 (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 12:37 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
Everything made in Japan is vastly superior,due to the Japanese obsession with perfection It’s not surprising that markets like ours in Australia have zero issues, particularly in regards to vibrations or harshness and the transmissions a silky smooth . I guess when you are paying $110K for a car that is approximately $55K in the USA the difference isn’t all taxes and exchange rates . I’m also seeing the conversation threads about so many owners wanting to save money and take their cars to Toyota dealerships or even the local service shop… Maybe this attitude with saving money It is also translated to local factories, as opposed to the Japanese market?
My '18 RX is Canadian, no vibration, no assembly or workmanship problems, body seam gaps all equal. I've had 4 prior Lexus, all happened to be Japan built (RX,IS,ES,NX), really no difference. Maybe it's management philosophy and quality control influence, too. I have a '17 BMW 4 series, Germany, but for the 3 series you see many forum discussions on German versus South African builds. I can't subscribe to the idea than anyone who works for these premium brands sets out to do shoddy work, irrespective of where they live. But if Tab A does not fit into Slot B, it doesn't really matter where you are. It's what happens next that determines a lot, and I think Lexus has a very good track record.
Old 02-20-18, 10:02 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral

You're brave....I suggested that a while ago and got shot down by the Canadians and admin deleted my post. I've seen quite a large number of people on here with issues that have Code 2 on their VIN while others without the problem have J.

For some reason they take it as a personal slap in the face about their country - all I'm thinking is there could be a different supplier of parts in Canada, something not quite right with the fit or even a torquing issues with bolts, who knows. As you say LordBowral the Japanese do have an obsession with perfection, they want to do their job with utmost of precision and it upsets them personally if they fail.

The hesitation issue experience in North America could come down to the wrong software loaded into the vehicles - maybe they got the RX200 (sold in Australia not North America) software for their RX350, who knows what goes on between countries. Lexus are selling a lot of the RX's in Australia and it seems strange that no reports of the North American issues are evident in Australia.

UPDATE: Here's another thread with another issue on a Canadian built car:-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10119533

Last edited by neurocity; 02-21-18 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-21-18, 07:00 AM
qubit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all. I had been an active member on this thread a while ago, complaining about all the issues i had with my RX. Some of the issues i had:
- Droning noise at cruising speeds
- Vibration in the footwell and center console
- Vibrating driver side mirror
- Clunking noise from sunroof everytime i go over a bump

Reached Lexus Canada about the droning, vibration and was told it is 'characteristic' of all the RX etc. yada yada. Tried to tolerate all of the above and eventually stopped driving the RX as there was no pleasure. I could not digest paying top dollars for a car that barely exhibited driven train refinement found in a Toyota highlander, so I decided to give away the Lexus and bought a Honda Clarity PHEV. WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! I know that the RX and the Clarity are not in the same league, but i have started to enjoy my driving once again along with saving $$$ on gas. The purpose of this post is not to speak high of the Honda Clarity but to make Lexus Canada know that they have lost a one time loyal customer for the following reasons:

- Claiming a problem to be a characteristic
- Telling me that i was the only person in the entire continent to complain of this issue
- Failing to recognize posts in this forum as proof that there are dissatisfied customers
- Cannot expect a customer to pay $$$ and digest issues without a solution simply based on brand and legacy

I doubt i will buy another Lexus given the experience this time.
tdjacw (02-21-18)
Old 02-21-18, 08:23 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

What really boggles me is why can’ Lexus take one with ndrone or vibration and another that does not and get to the root cause of the issue. Changing this mid pipe was not a fix for all. I believe its just a bandaid, One other observation I notice is on the survey. Everytime I have brought the car in for normal maintenance I receive a survey. Each time I have brought it in for the vibration and drone, no survey. Wonder if thats how the dealer keeps it’s rating up.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration