RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 08:35 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
What really boggles me is why can’ Lexus take one with ndrone or vibration and another that does not and get to the root cause of the issue. Changing this mid pipe was not a fix for all. I believe its just a bandaid, One other observation I notice is on the survey. Everytime I have brought the car in for normal maintenance I receive a survey. Each time I have brought it in for the vibration and drone, no survey. Wonder if thats how the dealer keeps it’s rating up.
Who’s sending the surveys, Lexus or the dealer?
Old 02-21-18, 09:45 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

Who’s sending the surveys, Lexus or the dealer?
Dealers usually send the surveys after a service visit.
Old 02-21-18, 10:00 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

In my case for the initial purchase and about 2~3 months after the purchase. The first survey is from the dealer and deals more about the customer service and buying experience rather than the car. About 2~3 months later I received an online survey from Lexus and very specific with the car and just about everything about it including the type and size of tires, etc. I also complained about the droning and vibration during takeoff, although in my case it's only when I have full load of pax. I also complained about the lag in acceleration (downshifting of the x-mission) although it is acceptable it is also very noticeable. My biggest complain is more about the abrupt downshifting of the x-mission and over revving of the engine when slowing down during dynamic cruise control. Finally, you have to rate the car and I gave it 8 out of 10, 10 being in the most satisfied. And yes, my RX is a "J" VIN.
Old 02-21-18, 10:32 AM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What really boggles me is why can’ Lexus take one with ndrone or vibration and another that does not and get to the root cause of the issue. Changing this mid pipe was not a fix for all. I believe its just a bandaid, One other observation I notice is on the survey. Everytime I have brought the car in for normal maintenance I receive a survey. Each time I have brought it in for the vibration and drone, no survey. Wonder if thats how the dealer keeps it’s rating up.
I offered the same to the dealer i.e. take my car in and compare it to the loaner they had (which had no vibrations); or have the FTS compare them. The FTS had declined to even come see my car, and from the dealer's perspective, they already know the issue.

btw, I was also told by Lexus that they do not read these forums - so any hope of having Lexus hear complaints in this forum is futile. I did take a suggestion earlier and wrote an email to the Lexus executives to bring my car into the factory if needed, but most of the emails bounced back, except one. No response yet.
Old 02-21-18, 11:04 AM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use every opportunity to complain about the droning. I mentioned the problem in the initial post purchase survey, and gave Lexus a low score. I mentioned it again when the dealer fixed a door handle problem. I intend to punish Lexus about the droning with every survey I get until they fix the problem.
Old 02-21-18, 11:35 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by rraheja
I offered the same to the dealer i.e. take my car in and compare it to the loaner they had (which had no vibrations); or have the FTS compare them. The FTS had declined to even come see my car, and from the dealer's perspective, they already know the issue.

btw, I was also told by Lexus that they do not read these forums - so any hope of having Lexus hear complaints in this forum is futile. I did take a suggestion earlier and wrote an email to the Lexus executives to bring my car into the factory if needed, but most of the emails bounced back, except one. No response yet.
Your experience is pretty much what I had with my last vehicle. Corporate Customer Service doesn’t read any forums (according to them), so they play dumb to any issues being discussed by numerous folks. I grew tired of their kicking the can down the road & hired a lemon law attorney. Inside of 5 months my piece of junk was dropped at a dealer & I was refunded everything but the actual use of the vehicle. I think I had around 34 - 35,000 miles. The attorney got paid by the manufacturer in the terms of their settlement & I didn’t have to shell out anything additional for them.
The following users liked this post:
pa1thak (02-23-18)
Old 02-21-18, 01:56 PM
Pvipul7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your experience is pretty much what I had with my last vehicle. Corporate Customer Service doesn’t read any forums (according to them), so they play dumb to any issues being discussed by numerous folks. I grew tired of their kicking the can down the road & hired a lemon law attorney. Inside of 5 months my piece of junk was dropped at a dealer & I was refunded everything but the actual use of the vehicle. I think I had around 34 - 35,000 miles. The attorney got paid by the manufacturer in the terms of their settlement & I didn’t have to shell out anything additional for them.
Can you share details of the case and attorney and which state. I am thinking of doing the same. I have 2016 lexus with 14000 miles.
Old 02-21-18, 03:18 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Pvipul7
Can you share details of the case and attorney and which state. I am thinking of doing the same. I have 2016 lexus with 14000 miles.
Most lemon law settlements are kept confidential to outside parties. Each state has different laws & attorneys must fall under those state laws. I’m in TX. My attorney is registered in a couple of states, but not your’s. You will need to find an attorney there & talk with them to see if you have a case. I had pages & pages of crap wrong with my vehicle, so it was almost a no-brainer. There are buy backs (total refund & vehicle surrender), partial cash settlements (they pay you a big or small lump of cash for the problems you had & you keep the vehicle), they offer you a program to get out of your problem vehicle so you can get into another with little to no extra cost, or they offer you extended warranty and/or service incentives. There may be more or less where you live. I can’t stress enough that YOU MUST HAVE A PAPER TRAIL or you have nothing but hearsay. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (02-22-18)
Old 02-22-18, 09:45 AM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most lemon law settlements are kept confidential to outside parties. Each state has different laws & attorneys must fall under those state laws. I’m in TX. My attorney is registered in a couple of states, but not your’s. You will need to find an attorney there & talk with them to see if you have a case. I had pages & pages of crap wrong with my vehicle, so it was almost a no-brainer. There are buy backs (total refund & vehicle surrender), partial cash settlements (they pay you a big or small lump of cash for the problems you had & you keep the vehicle), they offer you a program to get out of your problem vehicle so you can get into another with little to no extra cost, or they offer you extended warranty and/or service incentives. There may be more or less where you live. I can’t stress enough that YOU MUST HAVE A PAPER TRAIL or you have nothing but hearsay. Good luck.
I am still doing my research on the lemon law attorneys in CA, however few generic questions in case you may have already gone through this.
Re. paper trails, I have three service visits, including one where the TSB was applied, that are documented. All others are the talks with the technician and Lexus reps. I presume since the calls won't count towards a paper trail, would three services visits for a vibration issue that Lexus would claim is "normal operating characteristic", hold up?

Also, in case the appeal is denied due to insufficient documentary evidence, are all avenues closed or can it be appealed for Lemon Law again once there are more instances/records of the complaint? In which case, is it better to wait till there are at least 4+ documented service reports?

And in case a buy-back is denied, or the settlement results in a paltry refund, would this show up now as a possible Lemon in car records affecting its resale value?

Thanks
Old 02-25-18, 09:07 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Its been two weeks since the service manager said he would get back to me on what if anything they would do about the vibration. Still no call, do I call again or just give up and live with it?
Old 02-25-18, 10:20 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Its been two weeks since the service manager said he would get back to me on what if anything they would do about the vibration. Still no call, do I call again or just give up and live with it?
It doesn’t sound like you want to give up. Pester the snot out of these guys! Go to another dealer & start all over. The more documentation you have, the better. See if Lexus has an upper tier of customer service for problem vehicles.
Old 03-04-18, 07:28 PM
su2536
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vibration problem fix feedback FYI:

My 2017 Lexus RX350 has the vibration and noise problem too. Most time it is around 1500RPM and only on a specific speed around 25-30mph. I complained it to dealer and dealer service department is pretty nice and did some fix work a few days ago. It looks like the FSB fix mentioned on the forum, parts being replaced listed below:
EG1708 R&R exhaust center pipe assembly
Gasket, Exhaust Pipe
Gasket, Exhaust Pipe
Pipe Assy, Exhaust
After fix, the prior vibration occurs at 1500rpm/25mph is reduced, it still has some but way better now. However, the fix introduced much bigger problem. Now the vehicle vibrates on multiple speeds like 15mph, 40mph and 60mph, all while engine is running on 1500RPM.

So the fix doesn't really fix the problem, it only shifts the problem for the best I can describe. And, the noise sounds much worse. Before the fix, the vibration/noise sounds like that a thin and long piece of metal is vibration. After fix, it sounds like a heavier metal is vibration, which sounds worse than without fix.

If you are in the similar situation as mine, please think twice before applying the fix -- it may be worse!

I will call the dealer next week.

Last edited by su2536; 03-04-18 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 12:07 AM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by su2536

My 2017 Lexus RX350 has the vibration and noise problem too. Most time it is around 1500RPM and only on a specific speed around 25-30mph. I complained it to dealer and dealer service department is pretty nice and did some fix work a few days ago. It looks like the FSB fix mentioned on the forum, parts being replaced listed below:
Gasket, Exhaust Pipe
Gasket, Exhaust Pipe
Pipe Assy, Exhaust
After fix, the prior vibration occurs at 1500rpm/25mph is reduced, it still has some but way better now. However, the fix introduced much bigger problem. Now the vehicle vibrates on multiple speeds like 15mph, 40mph and 60mph, all while engine is running on 1500RPM.

So the fix doesn't really fix the problem, it only shifts the problem for the best I can describe. And, the noise sounds much worse. Before the fix, the vibration/noise sounds like that a thin and long piece of metal is vibration. After fix, it sounds like a heavier metal is vibration, which sounds worse than without fix.

If you are in the similar situation as mine, please think twice before applying the fix -- it may be worse!

Which dealership did you go to for the fix?
Old 03-05-18, 03:51 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

This is madness - why can't Lexus get this right. Surely they know what the issue is with these cars, be it materials, assembly or both. They have great cars coming out of Japan so they must be able to compare and see what has gone wrong.

This vibration/harshness issue, the sunroof problems, (rubbers and headliner), hesitation, cruise controls not working correctly, plus others - what has gone wrong? I really feel for you guys and gals over there, my F Sport is great, still get a buzz when I drive it.
Old 03-05-18, 04:32 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by su2536

Gasket, Exhaust Pipe
Gasket, Exhaust Pipe
Pipe Assy, Exhaust

That is exactly what happened to mine, I now have the vibration on the highway 65mpg at 1500 RPMs. I keep emailing the service manager but now he wont even respond. The one thing I noticed is that it is much worse when the outside temperature is realy cold. Im just so fad-up. The whole situation is just rediculus.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration