RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 06:47 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
..... They have great cars coming out of Japan so they must be able to compare and see what has gone wrong.
Just a point of information, mine is an '18 out of Canada, no vibration around 1500 or other times. The exhaust "fix" attachments are on the car from the factory. 'Not saying there are aren't people sensing a vibration, but I don't have an issue in a Canada-built car.
Old 03-05-18, 07:55 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
Just a point of information, mine is an '18 out of Canada, no vibration around 1500 or other times. The exhaust "fix" attachments are on the car from the factory. 'Not saying there are aren't people sensing a vibration, but I don't have an issue in a Canada-built car.
Yeah, it doesn’t appear to be on all of them. Somewhere there is either a tolerance or a part that is different from car to car.
The only constant here is that its all happening at 1500 rpms. I can’t believe Lexus can’t figure out what the root cause is.
Old 03-05-18, 09:34 AM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I am also very disappointed with Lexus for, first, not acknowledging this is a significant problem, and second, for not providing a timely fix.
My car now has 5500 miles now, and the vibration/drone is not as severe now. Or, I'm just getting used to it.

Considering that some people have good results and others don't, I'm estimating that I have only a 50% chance of getting an improvement if I request the fix.
So I'll hold off for now.
Old 03-05-18, 09:28 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Had the TSB done today on my 2016 RX AWD (non F-Sport). While the droning is gone, there is more vibration across a wider RPM range. My previous droning was around 1500 RPM, very low frequency and seemed to be originating from under my seat. It occurred when the transmission up-shifted 4 to 5th or 5th to 6th (can't tell from the tach) and typically occurred at city level speeds (accelerating from a stop to about 60 to 70 km/h). After the TSB, I now feel increased vibration from 1800 to 2100 RPM. However, below 1800 RPM, the vehicle is smoother and idle is now vibration free (if the engine is warm). If I'm very gentle with the throttle, I can now keep it below 1500 RPM getting up to 60 km/h without vibration. The source of the vibration now seems to be coming from the engine bay area.... Engine mounts perhaps??

Overall, while the TSB has resolved the droning from the exhaust, I am still unsatisfied with the level of engine noise and vibration. I asked for an RX loaner today and got a brand new 2018 RX (non F-Sport). It drove beautifully without the hesitation issues (although still eco-biased throttle response) and was much smoother and virtually vibration-free. There is still some vibration in the 2000 to 2200 RPM range but it was much less than in my RX. Heck, even the turn signal stalk operated smoother, but maybe that's just wear and tear .
The following users liked this post:
alin1390 (01-10-20)
Old 03-05-18, 09:55 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
Not saying they all do. If the current model is good all the more reason to expect them to be able to rectify this issue on the old models. Surely they know what they are doing or using differently now.
Old 03-06-18, 09:01 AM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw

Yeah, it doesn’t appear to be on all of them. Somewhere there is either a tolerance or a part that is different from car to car.
The only constant here is that its all happening at 1500 rpms. I can’t believe Lexus can’t figure out what the root cause is.
It is unbelievable that they always act as if this is the first time they are hearing it. I recently complained to the Lexus Division GM based on an earlier suggestion in this thread. I got a call from the executive division, and they started investigating the case again with the dealerships, service managers etc. and said they wanted to schedule the Districts Parts Supervisor to take a look at the car a few weeks from now. After agreeing to have the DPS take a look at it, he did say that it is because I did not agree with the "dealership recommendation" that the car is within "normal operating characteristics".

So, the more people who complain with them, the better.
Old 03-06-18, 09:47 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Lexus is really missing it here. We’ve had a small fuel leak on our VW & we have 38,000 miles on it. VW looked at it twice for at least a week with a loaner car. They fixed it & followed up to make sure we were happy. We are beyond happy. I would buy another VW in a heartbeat. I’m not sure about a Lexus. I’m not unhappy with mine, but I’m disappointed in the brand & my selling dealer. I hope everyone gets some kind of resolution to this.
Old 03-09-18, 06:13 AM
technodis
Rookie

Default TSB for Engine Chirping

Does anyone have the TSB # or documentation on the problem with the engine chirping sound that some people have raised on this forum? I need to have the engine sound looked at and my dealer ALWAYS is unable to duplicate any issue I bring up to them, until I give them a TSB # that is. I ran into this last time with the AC hissing noise. They couldn't reproduce the problem until I rode with a tech and then presented the TSB information from a fellow CL member.
Old 03-16-18, 01:20 PM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by rraheja
It is unbelievable that they always act as if this is the first time they are hearing it. I recently complained to the Lexus Division GM based on an earlier suggestion in this thread. I got a call from the executive division, and they started investigating the case again with the dealerships, service managers etc. and said they wanted to schedule the Districts Parts Supervisor to take a look at the car a few weeks from now. After agreeing to have the DPS take a look at it, he did say that it is because I did not agree with the "dealership recommendation" that the car is within "normal operating characteristics".

So, the more people who complain with them, the better.
Update: the Lexus corp person test drove the car today morning, at various speeds. Now I have noticed the vibration is significantly less in the mornings and gets worse on my commute home - maybe temperature related - I don't know. I clarified this, but of course since the vibrations were less in the morning test drive i.e. not car shaking vibrations but more like a vibrator attached to the throttle and seat, he ruled this as "normal operating characteristic" and suggested that no repairs be performed on the car since he had also driven two other AWD RX and found similar vibrations at that rpm. He said that any vehicle would have such harmonic vibrations at some rpm. Because Lexus is so smooth otherwise any vibration stands out sorely, and that I should "try driving a Ford" to compare. I asked if I can get the car in the evening when its worse or they can keep it overnight to check, but was declined. There is nothing they can do about it. He also declined to give a written service order since the car wasn't taken in for service - though it was provided during the previous test drive when the car was still not taken in for service.

So that's it then. Per Lexus, the fact there is a vibration in a brand new luxury vehicle is normal. The fact that the vibration characteristic changed to all over the speed range after the TSB is normal. The fact that it gets worse during the day/evening is normal. I was told that if I did not accept, I can pursue any other course of action I deem necessary.
Old 03-16-18, 01:52 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by rraheja
Update: the Lexus corp person test drove the car today morning, at various speeds. Now I have noticed the vibration is significantly less in the mornings and gets worse on my commute home - maybe temperature related - I don't know. I clarified this, but of course since the vibrations were less in the morning test drive i.e. not car shaking vibrations but more like a vibrator attached to the throttle and seat, he ruled this as "normal operating characteristic" and suggested that no repairs be performed on the car since he had also driven two other AWD RX and found similar vibrations at that rpm. He said that any vehicle would have such harmonic vibrations at some rpm. Because Lexus is so smooth otherwise any vibration stands out sorely, and that I should "try driving a Ford" to compare. I asked if I can get the car in the evening when its worse or they can keep it overnight to check, but was declined. There is nothing they can do about it. He also declined to give a written service order since the car wasn't taken in for service - though it was provided during the previous test drive when the car was still not taken in for service.

So that's it then. Per Lexus, the fact there is a vibration in a brand new luxury vehicle is normal. The fact that the vibration characteristic changed to all over the speed range after the TSB is normal. The fact that it gets worse during the day/evening is normal. I was told that if I did not accept, I can pursue any other course of action I deem necessary.
Get rid of it, now. Clearly, it’s a piece of crap. Stop wasting time & getting frustrated with it. Go buy a Jaguar, Acura or Audi & stop jacking around with people that don’t care about your problem. Get rid of it NOW! I’ve been there & I won’t let these stupid corporate games ruin my day ever again. I’m not brand loyal to any of these turds. Whatever vehicle has the best bang for the buck for me is where I will spend my money. Good luck & don’t wait & drag it out. Life is too short.
Old 03-17-18, 03:12 PM
Suhaib79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine sound

Hi guys
Do you hear or feal engine sound inside the cabin when starting moving the car or at low rpm in Rx350 2016?
As i noticed from some freinds that it is vibration! So what i feel is just engine sound coming inside the cabin during acceleration from lower rpm!
Do you feel the same in your Rx350 ?

Last edited by Suhaib79; 03-17-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 03:45 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Lexus is really missing it here. We’ve had a small fuel leak on our VW & we have 38,000 miles on it. VW looked at it twice for at least a week with a loaner car. They fixed it & followed up to make sure we were happy. We are beyond happy. I would buy another VW in a heartbeat. I’m not sure about a Lexus. I’m not unhappy with mine, but I’m disappointed in the brand & my selling dealer. I hope everyone gets some kind of resolution to this.
VW - hysterical. I had one with a leaking sunroof - car was two months old and VW had the worst customer service ever. Five visits to the dealer and every time they insisted there was nothing wrong. Amazing every time it rained, I sat in a puddle of water. I guess I was imagining that. Finally got a district manager involved and low and behold, they figured out the problem. VW - Virtually Worthless.
Old 03-18-18, 11:35 AM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
VW - hysterical. I had one with a leaking sunroof - car was two months old and VW had the worst customer service ever. Five visits to the dealer and every time they insisted there was nothing wrong. Amazing every time it rained, I sat in a puddle of water. I guess I was imagining that. Finally got a district manager involved and low and behold, they figured out the problem. VW - Virtually Worthless.
When I am car shopping , one of the first things the sales man tells me , it has a sunroof and roof rails !! , the 2 things I most hate about cars , sunroofs are or can be such a problem and when they are open , annoying
Old 03-18-18, 11:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by Luap
When I am car shopping , one of the first things the sales man tells me , it has a sunroof and roof rails !! , the 2 things I most hate about cars , sunroofs are or can be such a problem and when they are open , annoying
Perhaps but most come with a sunroof these days (my other car has a pano which I absolutely love) and any car without one will suffer on trade or resale later on. They can leak - no doubt about it.
Old 03-18-18, 01:42 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
How long ago was your “virtually worthless” ordeal? I looked at VWs around 2001 & they were literally falling apart on the lot. No way would I have bought one then. The VW dealer we use is a very old VW dealer & most of the shop & management employees have been with the company a long time. One master tech has been there 30 years. None of our Lexus dealers nor their employees have been around that long. It may just come down to the difference in the dealers. Since VW’s Dieselgate, I would imagine they are motivated to obtain & keep as many customers as possible. Of course, I hope you know 3 visits to a dealer for the same faulty item qualifies for the lemon law in most states.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration