RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 03:12 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by computerwi
Had the TSB done today on my 2016 RX AWD (non F-Sport). While the droning is gone, there is more vibration across a wider RPM range. My previous droning was around 1500 RPM, very low frequency and seemed to be originating from under my seat. It occurred when the transmission up-shifted 4 to 5th or 5th to 6th (can't tell from the tach) and typically occurred at city level speeds (accelerating from a stop to about 60 to 70 km/h). After the TSB, I now feel increased vibration from 1800 to 2100 RPM. However, below 1800 RPM, the vehicle is smoother and idle is now vibration free (if the engine is warm). If I'm very gentle with the throttle, I can now keep it below 1500 RPM getting up to 60 km/h without vibration. The source of the vibration now seems to be coming from the engine bay area.... Engine mounts perhaps??

Overall, while the TSB has resolved the droning from the exhaust, I am still unsatisfied with the level of engine noise and vibration. I asked for an RX loaner today and got a brand new 2018 RX (non F-Sport). It drove beautifully without the hesitation issues (although still eco-biased throttle response) and was much smoother and virtually vibration-free. There is still some vibration in the 2000 to 2200 RPM range but it was much less than in my RX. Heck, even the turn signal stalk operated smoother, but maybe that's just wear and tear .
Update: The vibration was starting to get on my nerve so I requested a follow-up appointment for the vibration. In particular, the vibration is constant at highway cruising speeds. It's almost unbearable and much worse of an issue than the occasional droning before. Tech confirmed the vibration and submitted a "TAS". He indicated that Lexus was aware of this problem post-TSB and is working on a fix but date is unknown. In the meantime, there was nothing they could do. Very frustrating. Definitely regret getting the TSB done.
Old 03-18-18, 09:25 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

True story
In Flagstaff , the VW dealer was shut down because they were selling more cocaine than cars , back in the late 1980s , back when coke was good for ya.. lol

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

How long ago was your “virtually worthless” ordeal? I looked at VWs around 2001 & they were literally falling apart on the lot. No way would I have bought one then. The VW dealer we use is a very old VW dealer & most of the shop & management employees have been with the company a long time. One master tech has been there 30 years. None of our Lexus dealers nor their employees have been around that long. It may just come down to the difference in the dealers. Since VW’s Dieselgate, I would imagine they are motivated to obtain & keep as many customers as possible. Of course, I hope you know 3 visits to a dealer for the same faulty item qualifies for the lemon law in most states.
Old 03-18-18, 09:29 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Let’s get back to the real topic...
Old 03-19-18, 03:59 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone with 2018 model year with the issue, or have they discretely fixed it? Reading posts, does it seem more with FWD have the issue to this point?

2019 model year refresh coming up, could be announced as early as March 30th. Will be interesting if they mention improved NVH as one of the 'changes'.
Old 03-19-18, 08:35 AM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes , sir !

Old 03-19-18, 10:30 AM
astuteness
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings from Canada
I was on the verge of buying 2018 RX 350 but walked away after looking at the ripples of the rear center seat.( bottom piece ) I drove around all the dealers in town ( 5) and specifically checked every single one of them half of them have these ripples it while others do not. This is specific only to the RX 350 not the newer RX L and or any other lexus vehicle. I went around and checked other makes of SUV and did not find this problem in any other brand I checked. ( Jaguar , Mercedes, Range Rover , infiniti , BMW , etc

Back to the subject here after reading about the droning issue in this forum. I asked the service manager and he mentions he heard nothing.
Spoke to the GM and told him flat out to be honest he mentions yes there was an issue at specific speeds and there was a memo floating around
and it has been corrected for the 2018 RX 350 that have been built later in production. Fix was applying additional dampening.

Last edited by astuteness; 03-19-18 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-18, 12:09 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,816 Posts

We're on the topic - you brought up VW as a comparison to Lexus in terms of customer service. Guess what - they're all the same.
Old 03-19-18, 07:56 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by astuteness
Greetings from Canada
I was on the verge of buying 2018 RX 350 but walked away after looking at the ripples of the rear center seat.( bottom piece ) I drove around all the dealers in town ( 5) and specifically checked every single one of them half of them have these ripples it while others do not. This is specific only to the RX 350 not the newer RX L and or any other lexus vehicle. I went around and checked other makes of SUV and did not find this problem in any other brand I checked. ( Jaguar , Mercedes, Range Rover , infiniti , BMW , etc

Back to the subject here after reading about the droning issue in this forum. I asked the service manager and he mentions he heard nothing.
Spoke to the GM and told him flat out to be honest he mentions yes there was an issue at specific speeds and there was a memo floating around
and it has been corrected for the 2018 RX 350 that have been built later in production. Fix was applying additional dampening.

Good to know info from dealer. If accurate, would think they 'know' what issue was/is, and could put out TSB that fixed it for the folks with this issue, unless is something more than what the TSB is for current models exhaust.

Anyone with a 2018 with the problem?
Old 03-25-18, 05:50 PM
Linus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration roar

My 2017 RD has a distinct roar when accelerating ( especially up a grade) until about 20 mph. Anyone else noticed this? Understand it may be an exhaust tuning issue.
Old 04-02-18, 05:01 PM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone had the repair(new exhaust pipe) done and had an improvement overall? Just had my 5k service. The dealer just ordered part(on backorder) but I am waiting till my 10k service to have it done.Hopefully by then they get this worked out.
Old 04-02-18, 05:22 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssteigss
Has anyone had the repair(new exhaust pipe) done and had an improvement overall? Just had my 5k service. The dealer just ordered part(on backorder) but I am waiting till my 10k service to have it done.Hopefully by then they get this worked out.
Yup. droning is minimum now and only occurs rarely but for others it didn't work.
Old 04-04-18, 06:32 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the exhaust is only part of the issue and I think the main cause is the gear ratio. If I drive the RX by putting it in drive, I get the drone/roar and hesitation. If I change it to 3rd gear in manual mode before stepping on the gas, I get none of the issues (even going up hill). Once I get to 40 MPH, I put it back into drive and it drives fine until I have to slow down below 40 or come to a stop. I think the root cause is the RX starts out in 4th gear when in drive and it is struggling because the RPM is too low. It also shifts to 5th gear way too fast...this is why there is hesitation.

There is another thread where two RX driver states the drone/roar and hesitation was fixed without any notes on their work order. They think Lexus reprogram the ECU to changed the way the transmission shifts and changed the MPG display so show a higher MPG than what the RX is actually getting....again this is what they are stating...not me. I would take a 1-3 MPG loss any day to get rid of these annoyance issues. I know there are compliance rules behind the MPG so who knows if they will actually release the fix.
Old 04-04-18, 08:50 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628
I think the exhaust is only part of the issue and I think the main cause is the gear ratio. If I drive the RX by putting it in drive, I get the drone/roar and hesitation. If I change it to 3rd gear in manual mode before stepping on the gas, I get none of the issues (even going up hill). Once I get to 40 MPH, I put it back into drive and it drives fine until I have to slow down below 40 or come to a stop. I think the root cause is the RX starts out in 4th gear when in drive and it is struggling because the RPM is too low. It also shifts to 5th gear way too fast...this is why there is hesitation.

There is another thread where two RX driver states the drone/roar and hesitation was fixed without any notes on their work order. They think Lexus reprogram the ECU to changed the way the transmission shifts and changed the MPG display so show a higher MPG than what the RX is actually getting....again this is what they are stating...not me. I would take a 1-3 MPG loss any day to get rid of these annoyance issues. I know there are compliance rules behind the MPG so who knows if they will actually release the fix.
I think your theory is only partly right. I have the 450h, which has a CVT & those models don’t seem to have the droning issue. I think the noise is not the transmission, but the RPMs that are produced during the shifting process. A CVT doesn’t have the same RPMs during its shifting process, that a regular transmission produces. I believe the issue (in a nutshell) is the sounds produced at particular RPMs. Does that make sense?
Old 04-04-18, 09:24 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think your theory is only partly right. I have the 450h, which has a CVT & those models don’t seem to have the droning issue. I think the noise is not the transmission, but the RPMs that are produced during the shifting process. A CVT doesn’t have the same RPMs during its shifting process, that a regular transmission produces. I believe the issue (in a nutshell) is the sounds produced at particular RPMs. Does that make sense?
I agree the issue is with the RPM. Since the gear ratio in the is too close together, the RPM is always low. Putting the far in sport mode also eliminates/reduces the issue but I don't like driving in sport mode with the family in the backseat.
Old 04-04-18, 09:37 AM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628

So the Car starts in 4th gear? That doesnt seem to make sense. My Audi Q5 would shift to 2nd gear almost instantly from a start but 4th gear sounds way to high. So 1st-3rd are never used?

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration