RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 09:16 AM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628
Some members said they had issues at higher speeds after the TSB. Have you taken your RX on the highway after the TSB?

I have been holding off on this TSB because I wanted someone to confirm that there are no issues during higher speeds.
Dealer just received part for my car but I am holding off till my 10k service in next few months. Also waiting to see others experience with repair.
Old 04-18-18, 09:40 AM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some members said they had issues at higher speeds after the TSB. Have you taken your RX on the highway after the TSB?

I have been holding off on this TSB because I wanted someone to confirm that there are no issues during higher speeds.
I have and driven about 20 miles at various speeds in city and freeway, slowest being 5mph (traffic speed) and fastest being 80mph. No vibration issues, but I never had vibrations to begin with.
Old 04-18-18, 11:42 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssteigss

Dealer just received part for my car but I am holding off till my 10k service in next few months. Also waiting to see others experience with repair.
Just a thought.....a part that was ordered for you may, or may not still be sitting on a shelf a few months from now.
Old 04-18-18, 01:28 PM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Just a thought.....a part that was ordered for you may, or may not still be sitting on a shelf a few months from now.
I realized that. Advisor said they would hold part for me but ill check on it before I go. He also told me that another customer just had fix done and will let me know feedback. The service department has been great so far.
Old 04-18-18, 01:38 PM
SmithyINC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minusplus
I have and driven about 20 miles at various speeds in city and freeway, slowest being 5mph (traffic speed) and fastest being 80mph. No vibration issues, but I never had vibrations to begin with.

I got the tsb done today and have vibration at higher speeds. Totally bummed.
Old 04-18-18, 02:27 PM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SmithyINC

weird that it would be speed dependent and not based on rpm. Can u test if the vibration is present if you shift car into neutral while driving at high speed.
Old 04-19-18, 08:30 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Where is this vibration felt? Does it only occur while the drone is happening? in the steering wheel? the entire car? I definitely have the drone and hesitation issue.
Old 04-19-18, 03:44 PM
SmithyINC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ssteigss

weird that it would be speed dependent and not based on rpm. Can u test if the vibration is present if you shift car into neutral while driving at high speed.
yeh I tried that but I don’t feel it when I do that. It’s at cruising speeds around 60 when the Rpms drop around 1200 now. So bizarre and have no idea why it would have transferred now to the higher speeds. Lower speed drone is almost all gone...at least most of my driving is local so I guess I’d rather have the annoying vibration at the higher speeds because I won’t feel t every time I stop and go.
Old 04-19-18, 03:46 PM
SmithyINC
Driver School Candidate

Where is this vibration felt? Does it only occur while the drone is happening? in the steering wheel? the entire car? I definitely have the drone and hesitation issue.
i feel the vibration in the pedal and I gently accelerate around 60mph. Don’t feel it in the steering wheel at all...felt it a little bit in the seat the other day. My hesitation issue also never got resolved and continues to be an annoying issue as well. Will never buy a Lexus again unfortunately...I love everything about the car except the transmission. The 2018 loaner was smooth as butter and felt so much more solid.
Old 04-19-18, 04:26 PM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

yeh I tried that but I don’t feel it when I do that. It’s at cruising speeds around 60 when the Rpms drop around 1200 now. So bizarre and have no idea why it would have transferred now to the higher speeds. Lower speed drone is almost all gone...at least most of my driving is local so I guess I’d rather have the annoying vibration at the higher speeds because I won’t feel t every time I stop and go.
have u tried changing to Sport or Eco while at that speed. May move the RPM enough so that its not cruising at 1200rpm. May be good workaround for rare times on highway.
Old 04-24-18, 11:45 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Exact same experience.
Old 04-24-18, 12:43 PM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

The answer is fairly simple: When you change the physical structure of the exhaust system and/or add a damper, you change the natural vibration frequency of the pipe. The damper can easily tune out a vibration at a certain frequency, but now the natural frequency changes to a new value. That seems to be what people are experiencing. Seems like Lexus did a quick fix instead of a comprehensive engineering analysis. Or more likely they did the comprehensive engineering analysis and had a permanent fix but then the bean counters got involved and said - too expensive - just add the damper.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (04-24-18)
Old 04-24-18, 06:11 PM
SmithyINC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by computerwi
Exact same experience.
Any help from the dealer?
Old 04-24-18, 06:15 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by RealWing
The answer is fairly simple: When you change the physical structure of the exhaust system and/or add a damper, you change the natural vibration frequency of the pipe. The damper can easily tune out a vibration at a certain frequency, but now the natural frequency changes to a new value. That seems to be what people are experiencing. Seems like Lexus did a quick fix instead of a comprehensive engineering analysis. Or more likely they did the comprehensive engineering analysis and had a permanent fix but then the bean counters got involved and said - too expensive - just add the damper.
Jim
Yet the Australian ones have no noise/vibration issues at all....
Old 04-26-18, 08:17 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Yet the Australian ones have no noise/vibration issues at all....
It would be interesting to see the differences in the engine tuning between the US and Australia.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration