RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 09:02 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Thanks RealWing, and absolutely right. The damper has real hard rubber bushings that isolate it a bit. I do know the mine was much worse with that damper in place. If a second damper up front works, I am all for it. I believe pgn628 also fitted the second damper to a 2015. I hope that someone with a 4th gen 350 has fitted a second damper to the TSB pipe. I see pictures in this thread of a second damper fitted to a stock center section but not one that has the TSB pipe installed. Might have to give it a try. Wish I had a lift.
I have a 2016 RX...I will take a picture tonight.
The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (07-30-18)
Old 07-30-18, 09:41 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Much appreciated.
Old 07-30-18, 02:30 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Much appreciated.
So I first got the tsb completed in June and there was no drone at first. I took the rx on a road trip a few weeks after and noticed the drone at highway speeds. I took it back to Lexus and they put another one on and the drone continued. I decided to add a damper on the left side of the photo and the drone is completely gone. I can't even replicate it if I wanted too.
Old 07-30-18, 02:44 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Thank you so much for the picture. I will do the same, and post the results. Did you use a 2-1/2" muffler clamp, and use only one hole on the damper?
Old 07-30-18, 06:40 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Thank you so much for the picture. I will do the same, and post the results. Did you use a 2-1/2" muffler clamp, and use only one hole on the damper?
Yes that is what I used.
The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (07-30-18)
Old 07-30-18, 07:01 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628
Yes that is what I used.
If you don't mind, can you post the part# for the damper and the a link for the clamps or where you got it from. And also a list of all the parts. Please. I want to try this on my highlander, which also has the same vibration.
Old 07-30-18, 07:13 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

So I first got the tsb completed in June and there was no drone at first. I took the rx on a road trip a few weeks after and noticed the drone at highway speeds. I took it back to Lexus and they put another one on and the drone continued. I decided to add a damper on the left side of the photo and the drone is completely gone. I can't even replicate it if I wanted too.
I mentioned on here months ago that the issue could be something as simple as the torquing of the bolts at that flexible joint in the exhaust pipe. If that damper placed there has helped that could well be the problem. Here in Oz our RX's are Jap built and we don't have this droning at all.
Old 07-31-18, 02:21 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

There are some really great pictures of the parts needed on page 19 of this thread by Walt1953.

I ordered the damper (Toyota #17581-31010) from Amazon Prime, and the 2-1/2" muffler clamp from eBay.

Can't wait to try it. Thanks pgn628.
Old 07-31-18, 01:46 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess everyone has a different result from the TSB fix.
For those who have done it, do you think the individual dealer mechanic is a factor on how well the fix is applied?
I still haven't pulled the trigger to get the fix, as I am waiting for my dealer to get some experience.
Old 07-31-18, 02:29 PM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update and pics. Did you also have vibration along with the drone or was the drone just the noise?

After the TSB AND the rear engine mount fix, I still have the throttle vibration (lesser but still present) and it's more pronounced with a takeoff rumble; and then later at high speeds as a vibration, that I can feel in the seat. Wondering if this additional damper would take care of it since the dealer mentions they have done everything else for my 2017 RX350 AWD and the FTS, of course, says this is normal.
Old 07-31-18, 02:33 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nextcar
I guess everyone has a different result from the TSB fix.
For those who have done it, do you think the individual dealer mechanic is a factor on how well the fix is applied?
I still haven't pulled the trigger to get the fix, as I am waiting for my dealer to get some experience.
Although the TSB appears to be a simple remove and replace of the Exhaust Center Pipe Assembly, and is supposed to take only 1/2 hour, there is some finesse required. The tech should accurately measure the length of the two compression springs with a caliper, and replace them if they don't measure up to specs. Also, they must carefully insert the new gasket (plastic hammer and wooden block). Most important, after installation, the Tech must make sure the pipe assembly is correctly aligned. In my opinion, any competent tech that can read, and even us shade tree mechanics could easily do this job.

If your drone/rumble is really bad, I would go ahead and get the TSB done. On my 2016, it wasn't too bad and I should have left it alone, because it got worse after TSB installation. Interesting to note, I also have a 2017 which is absolutely quiet at all times.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 07-31-18 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 05:24 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although the TSB appears to be a simple remove and replace of the Exhaust Center Pipe Assembly, and is supposed to take only 1/2 hour, there is some finesse required. The tech should accurately measure the length of the two compression springs with a caliper, and replace them if they don't measure up to specs. Also, they must carefully insert the new gasket (plastic hammer and wooden block). Most important, after installation, the Tech must make sure the pipe assembly is correctly aligned. In my opinion, any competent tech that can read, and even us shade tree mechanics could easily do this job.

If your drone/rumble is really bad, I would go ahead and get the TSB done. On my 2016, it wasn't too bad and I should have left it alone, because it got worse after TSB installation. Interesting to note, I also have a 2017 which is absolutely quiet at all times.
Thanks for the explanation.
Please update us once you've installed the extra damper.
Old 08-02-18, 02:58 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just took my RX into service at a dealership i've never been. I asked him about the droning sound and it seems like most dealerships are now aware of the problem and now have the replacement part in stock.
Old 08-03-18, 02:59 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Although I have received the parts, I am going to think a little more on the installation of the second damper. I have concerns about (1) the effect of a two lb weight that close to the flex joint, (2) keeping the cantilevered weight from moving, over time, either down, or sideways, and (3) how strong is the catalytic converter shell. Will the muffler clamp damage it?

I know I am probably overthinking this, and others have had good luck with the installation. I still need more research.
Old 08-03-18, 07:11 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Although I have received the parts, I am going to think a little more on the installation of the second damper. I have concerns about (1) the effect of a two lb weight that close to the flex joint, (2) keeping the cantilevered weight from moving, over time, either down, or sideways, and (3) how strong is the catalytic converter shell. Will the muffler clamp damage it?

I know I am probably overthinking this, and others have had good luck with the installation. I still need more research.

This is actually what Lexus tried a couple years ago as a patch. the Uclamp is actually installed on the pipe, not he catalytic converter. There are posts about this in the earlier threads.

I say try it for a day or two and see if you notice a difference and take it off. I'd like to know if you get the same results.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration