RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 05:00 PM
seraphicsw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! my tires are bridgestone too. but This noise and vibration also seems to be coming from engine. not tires. I will take this car to Service manager on Friday. I hope that they find out the issue.
Old 05-22-16, 07:19 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i guess its good for me to avoid this first year redesign. but i need a new car now
Old 05-23-16, 12:50 PM
RedSectorA
Driver School Candidate

Signed up today after searching for information on this issue. This is our fist Lexus and we certainly expected more. As others have noted, we have a vibration in the drivetrain when accelerating from a stop. The more load on the engine, the worse the vibration and noise seem to be. We will be taking it in for service in the next week but don't expect a resolution based on the results of others.
Old 05-23-16, 02:23 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 578 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSectorA
Signed up today after searching for information on this issue. This is our fist Lexus and we certainly expected more. As others have noted, we have a vibration in the drivetrain when accelerating from a stop. The more load on the engine, the worse the vibration and noise seem to be. We will be taking it in for service in the next week but don't expect a resolution based on the results of others.
It's the high gear and low engine speed combination that's likely causing the sluggish engine and vibration. I had that on my 2013 Camry. They had a transmission reprogramming that fixed it about a year after I bought it.

Right now I just force a down shift if it exhibits this vibration. That fixes it.

It's good to let Lexus know thought. This way the design center in Japan will know of the issue and work on a solution.
Old 05-23-16, 02:49 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedSectorA
I tell you, Lexus took this upshift to high gear ASAP for fuel economy to an obscene level. I don't like it in regular drive mode. I just feel in my gut that this cannot be good for the engine to lug it like this, in the long run. So I run mine in sport and just control my foot. I said in another thread that I feel like there's a torque converter lockout going on in there as well as the premature upshift, probably to provide maximum torque, but it just lugs the engine more. Thank goodness they gave us two ways to control stuff ourselves. Sport mode and S-mode.
Old 05-23-16, 03:15 PM
RedSectorA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Radio88
Thank goodness they gave us two ways to control stuff ourselves. Sport mode and S-mode.
I agree with this. I switch ours to Sport mode as soon as I start it. It certain improves the driveability but it doesn't not improve the vibration and noise from a stop.
Old 05-23-16, 05:07 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
I tell you, Lexus took this upshift to high gear ASAP for fuel economy to an obscene level. I don't like it in regular drive mode. I just feel in my gut that this cannot be good for the engine to lug it like this, in the long run. So I run mine in sport and just control my foot. I said in another thread that I feel like there's a torque converter lockout going on in there as well as the premature upshift, probably to provide maximum torque, but it just lugs the engine more. Thank goodness they gave us two ways to control stuff ourselves. Sport mode and S-mode.
I operate my RX350 almost exclusively in S-mode now (and I drive conservatively - I'm not a sportster). This gives me control over when the transmission upshifts and eliminates the droning sounds and engine lugging that one experiences with premature upshifting. Typically, I start off from a stop in S2, upshift to S3 then S4. This satisfies most of my in-town driving. Over 40 mph or so, I'll upshift to S5 and I never go higher than S5 around town. I generally upshift (say from S3 to S4) when the RPMs reach 2000 to 2500. This ensures the next gear will have sufficient torque on demand. Obviously, using S-mode does require more driver input but the engine/transmission operates much more smoothly. I do hope and pray for a software update for the transmission in the future but I wonder if this would affect the stated EPA fuel economy for the car (and thus eliminate the possibility of a update).
Old 05-23-16, 07:09 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
I operate my RX350 almost exclusively in S-mode now (and I drive conservatively - I'm not a sportster). This gives me control over when the transmission upshifts and eliminates the droning sounds and engine lugging that one experiences with premature upshifting. Typically, I start off from a stop in S2, upshift to S3 then S4. This satisfies most of my in-town driving. Over 40 mph or so, I'll upshift to S5 and I never go higher than S5 around town. I generally upshift (say from S3 to S4) when the RPMs reach 2000 to 2500. This ensures the next gear will have sufficient torque on demand. Obviously, using S-mode does require more driver input but the engine/transmission operates much more smoothly. I do hope and pray for a software update for the transmission in the future but I wonder if this would affect the stated EPA fuel economy for the car (and thus eliminate the possibility of a update).
+100 on S-mode. I should have said I do the same around town too, as you do. It seems the natural thing to do when you are someone who gets this. And here where I live, everywhere you go is a hill. Being in 3rd or 4th at 25-30MPH is better all around for engine, downhill control, uphill acceleration, brakes, speed control etc.
I have found though, that sport mode allows all this on its own for speeds over 35mph and does it well.
You just have to unhook your brain from wanting to see that green ECO light all the time-I see what they did
Old 05-23-16, 10:21 PM
billh556
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+another 100 on S-mode. Like you guys, I routinely drive in S6 around town to keep it out of the overdrive gears so the revs stay a little below 2k. No lugging, no droning, and the car feels much better if you need to change lanes or pull even a slight uphill. I use sport mode sometimes as well, but wish I could have that mode's transmission mapping without the touchy throttle mapping that goes with it. That combo is great if I'm having some fun with it, but for everyday commuting and errand running I haven't unhooked my brain/foot as well as you have!
Old 05-24-16, 01:04 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by billh556
+another 100 on S-mode. Like you guys, I routinely drive in S6 around town to keep it out of the overdrive gears so the revs stay a little below 2k. No lugging, no droning, and the car feels much better if you need to change lanes or pull even a slight uphill. I use sport mode sometimes as well, but wish I could have that mode's transmission mapping without the touchy throttle mapping that goes with it. That combo is great if I'm having some fun with it, but for everyday commuting and errand running I haven't unhooked my brain/foot as well as you have!
True! I was driving today and I clearly see that if you don't keep your throttling within that green ECO light being on, that's where this thing acts up. If you stay in the green, it behaves a little better.
The thing is there are a ton of folks in here who do not want to be bothered with having to do anything even slightly different than putting it in D and forgetting it. I don't blame them-I would like to do that myself. And for the cost of this vehicle, that is the way it should be.
Old 05-25-16, 07:17 PM
SCbarber
Driver School Candidate

I almost got rear ended 3 times because of this issue, it just hesitates like it can not find the proper gear, getting ready to trade it in, for what, not sure yet. Hope it all gets resolved.
Old 05-25-16, 07:57 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCbarber
I almost got rear ended 3 times because of this issue, it just hesitates like it can not find the proper gear, getting ready to trade it in, for what, not sure yet. Hope it all gets resolved.
That's bad! Sorry to hear it. And the guy behind you just thinks you're driving like an ***
As others have urged here, we had better pipe up and say something at the service interval to build up a case on a fix by Lexus. I intend to. Meantime, I suggest you get in the habit of staying out of regular drive unless or until you get over 40MPH. It's the slower around town speeds where this thing is problematic.
Just kick the shifter left to S-mode and it automatically defaults to 4th at nominal speeds-then once at 40 or above, slap it to D and let it climb. That is the typical thing I find myself doing. Not too inconvenient. At least this will keep you in the flow of traffic.
Old 05-26-16, 12:42 PM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased a 2016 RX 350 in December of 2015. My first experience with a Lexus. I am very disappointed with the vehicle due to the vibration and noise issues at low speeds. Lexus has to be aware they have an issue.

I would recommend individuals consider other brands until the issue is resolved.
Old 05-26-16, 01:06 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2016 RX 350 got about 4K miles now and no issue with noise or vibration. It's really quiet and smooth.
Old 05-28-16, 11:37 PM
seraphicsw
Driver School Candidate

I went to service center and drove with Technician. He felt the droning noise and vibration around 1500 RPM. So He tried to pick that point and record data from the car. but once he connected data collection system and then I drove, but that vibration disappeared. Noise and vibration usually decreased when the car warmed up enough. I should have gone early in the morning to the service center. I will try again. please post any opinion if you have the same issue.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration