RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 02:37 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Got the car back this afternoon. The exhaust droning is only marginally better, but it is not like the extreme noise that is shown on the video. Tomorrow I will take the weight off of the TSB exhaust center section, and give it a try. At this point it is something I will live with. I still greatly enjoy the vehicle.
Old 08-22-18, 06:54 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

I removed the TSB weight and the droning is a little reduced. With all of the tests that I have done it is really difficult to judge the drone from one test to another. I would say I am at about 50% of what the noise was when I started. So, for my particular vehicle, with all of the variables that are in play, this is the best I can expect. It is not bad now, and no-one but me can hear it. Now I need an ear/head adjustment and all will be well.
Old 08-25-18, 12:22 PM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
I removed the TSB weight and the droning is a little reduced. With all of the tests that I have done it is really difficult to judge the drone from one test to another. I would say I am at about 50% of what the noise was when I started. So, for my particular vehicle, with all of the variables that are in play, this is the best I can expect. It is not bad now, and no-one but me can hear it. Now I need an ear/head adjustment and all will be well.
I thought weight is welded to new center exhaust pipe. How are you removing it.?
Old 08-25-18, 01:01 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ssteigss

I thought weight is welded to new center exhaust pipe. How are you removing it.?
Weight is held on by two metric bolts (12 mm socket). Be advised, the nuts are captive so just take out the bolts. Easy job.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 08-25-18 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-30-18, 07:54 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Those of you do-it-yourselfers may want to explore this idea for helping to quiet/dampen the exhaust & vibration issues. I ran across this while looking for sound deadening materials for a project. I don’t endorse this, I’m just passing on my idea, so check it out:
http://designengineering.com/titanium-exhaust-wrap/
Old 08-30-18, 09:08 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Those of you do-it-yourselfers may want to explore this idea for helping to quiet/dampen the exhaust & vibration issues. I ran across this while looking for sound deadening materials for a project. I don’t endorse this, I’m just passing on my idea, so check it out:
Hmmm, sounds interesting. Maybe someone will give it a shot.
Old 08-31-18, 03:05 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
it’s really a harmonic vibration type of problem, so either adding or reducing weight to change vibration in certain sections of the exhaust system seems to be the answer. It’s a design problem which probably wasn’t evident in the original design. It’s different for each vehicle (I have a 2017 RX without the noise), and can be affected by all kinds of factors like ambient temperature, stiffness of engine mounts, and transmission mapping. Mine (2016 RX) has been reduced by about 50%, and I just try to minimize my time in the 1500 RPM range.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 08-31-18 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-11-18, 08:36 AM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Just had the tsb done. There are 2 different noises people are referring to in this post. 1st is a low droan felt and heard around 1500 rpm usually when applying very light throttle. Almost sounds like exhaust is blocked. This is present no matter what temp or how long its driven. The other is a higher pitched tin sound that only happens when car is initially driven after sitting a while (cold)which someone captured on U tube video.
The dealer said the tsb addresses both. I have yet to see if the 2nd(cold start) condition is solved cause it usually happens in colder weather but the low droan/slight vibration At 1500 RPM is still present. Maybe slightly better but marginal. My wife drives car and doesn't even notice the droan.
The following users liked this post:
pa1thak (09-14-18)
Old 09-11-18, 01:52 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Just had the tsb done. There are 2 different noises people are referring to in this post. 1st is a low droan felt and heard around 1500 rpm usually when applying very light throttle. Almost sounds like exhaust is blocked. This is present no matter what temp or how long its driven. The other is a higher pitched tin sound that only happens when car is initially driven after sitting a while (cold)which someone captured on U tube video.
The dealer said the tsb addresses both. I have yet to see if the 2nd(cold start) condition is solved cause it usually happens in colder weather but the low droan/slight vibration At 1500 RPM is still present. Maybe slightly better but marginal. My wife drives car and doesn't even notice the droan.
I had the same experience with the TSB. They also changed the rear engine mount but the drone is only marginally reduced. The only real fix seems to be the added damper that Walt1953 (page 19), and pgn628 (page 31) did.
Old 09-12-18, 08:34 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Changing the rear engine mount significantly reduced the noise/vibration under light throttle at around 1300-1500 rpm for me, but it's still not gone. Now, it's bearable. I'm not even sure I had a problem with the exhaust to honest. I always felt that the noise was emanating from engine area. I didn't really notice any difference after the TSB was completed.
Old 09-13-18, 04:54 AM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by computerwi
Changing the rear engine mount significantly reduced the noise/vibration under light throttle at around 1300-1500 rpm for me, but it's still not gone. Now, it's bearable. I'm not even sure I had a problem with the exhaust to honest. I always felt that the noise was emanating from engine area. I didn't really notice any difference after the TSB was completed.
is the engine mount another TSB or just something dealers are figuring out? Appears to be more common repair on these boards for this issue.
Old 09-13-18, 05:03 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

is the engine mount another TSB or just something dealers are figuring out? Appears to be more common repair on these boards for this issue.
Although I first heard of the engine mount change here on the Forum, my dealer was aware of the new part, and suggested that it be tried. Only made a marginal improvement, and I still have the droning noise at 1500 RPM. Pretty disappointing for a vehicle of this type.
Old 09-13-18, 10:00 AM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Although I first heard of the engine mount change here on the Forum, my dealer was aware of the new part, and suggested that it be tried. Only made a marginal improvement, and I still have the droning noise at 1500 RPM. Pretty disappointing for a vehicle of this type.
I had similar experience with the rear engine mount - there's reduction in the vibration, but the side effect I'm seeing is that the vibration has shifted to the seat area now, which is very annoying. This now happens a lot more in the Sports mode, so I have to keep it in Eco to keep the engine at <1500 as much as possible.

However, the disappointing fact is that if there are indeed many other vehicles of the same model that do not have any vibration or droan issue without needing an additional damper; and if the TSB and rear-engine mount has not completely removed it either, there must be some other root cause of this issue causing the vibration in the first place (or allowing the vibration to leak through into the cabin) that does not exist in those other vehicles.
Old 09-13-18, 10:44 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rraheja
I had similar experience with the rear engine mount - there's reduction in the vibration, but the side effect I'm seeing is that the vibration has shifted to the seat area now, which is very annoying. This now happens a lot more in the Sports mode, so I have to keep it in Eco to keep the engine at <1500 as much as possible.

However, the disappointing fact is that if there are indeed many other vehicles of the same model that do not have any vibration or droan issue without needing an additional damper; and if the TSB and rear-engine mount has not completely removed it either, there must be some other root cause of this issue causing the vibration in the first place (or allowing the vibration to leak through into the cabin) that does not exist in those other vehicles.
The fact that most (probably) RXs do not have the problem — I have one with the noise, and one without the noise, is interesting, and I have no explanation.

As far as the root cause, it should be noted that when I hang the damper weight in front of the catalytic converter, the droning is significantly reduced. That indicates that the problem is just exhaust system harmonic imbalance. Pretty common with many vehicles and manufacturers.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 09-13-18 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-13-18, 05:40 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

The fact that most (probably) RXs do not have the problem — I have one with the noise, and one without the noise, is interesting, and I have no explanation.

As far as the root cause, it should be noted that when I hang the damper weight in front of the catalytic converter, the droning is significantly reduced. That indicates that the problem is just exhaust system harmonic imbalance. Pretty common with many vehicles and manufacturers.
You have two RX's? That's fantastic, you're the perfect person to put all your time and effort into finding what's wrong - I want you to give up your job and spend everyday researching your two cars, working out what is different and where this issue stems from. Plenty of people await your results.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration