RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 05:57 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
You have two RX's? That's fantastic, you're the perfect person to put all your time and effort into finding what's wrong - I want you to give up your job and spend everyday researching your two cars, working out what is different and where this issue stems from. Plenty of people await your results.
Thank you.
Yup, I have two RXs, and I don’t have to give up my job because I have been retired for over 20 years. There are no discernible differences between my two vehicles. It’s not that easy, even for Lexus engineers. I am also an engineer, and a licensed aircraft mechanic. With previous work done by Forum members, the problem has been solved and confirmed by me, and others. Hang a weight in front of the catalytic converter.

Why don’t you take this fix to the next level, and pursue it through the chain of command at Lexus. Plenty of people await your results.
Old 09-14-18, 06:09 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2

Yup, I have two RXs, and I don’t have to give up my job because I have been retired for over 20 years. There are no discernible differences between my two vehicles. It’s not that easy, even for Lexus engineers. I am also an engineer, and a licensed aircraft mechanic. With previous work done by Forum members, the problem has been solved and confirmed by me, and others. Hang a weight in front of the catalytic converter.

Why don’t you take this fix to the next level, and pursue it through the chain of command at Lexus. Plenty of people await your results.
Haha....no I'm good, don't have the issue here in Australia.
Old 09-14-18, 08:53 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Haha....no I'm good, don't have the issue here in Australia.
If I had one this RX, I'd have traded in in a neart beat. I don't want to bother with or wait for a patch work fix repeatedly.
Fundamentally something is not right and IMO, Lexus is trying to wear you out until you give up or forget.

When I purchased a brand new '15 Acura MDX, it tranny issues. I had it for less than 3 months. Traded in for BMW X5.
Old 09-15-18, 04:52 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Here is a thought that might explain what is going on. Perhaps the engine harmonic balancer is not properly designed. The balancer is located on the front of the crank with the purpose of reducing engine vibration. A few grams of weight either way can change the vibration characteristics of the engine. Our problem usually occurs at about the same 1500 RPM. a slight change in the balancer weight might move the problem out of the RPM range that we can feel. Other factors would have to come into play to explain why the problem only occurs on certain vehicles. If the engine and exhaust system is totally done by robot, I have no explanation. If, on the other hand, humans are involved, slight differences in mounting, with a harmonic balancer which is not weighted correctly could explain the problem.

Any thoughts out there? My head hurts.
Old 09-15-18, 06:36 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Here is a thought that might explain what is going on. Perhaps the engine harmonic balancer is not properly designed. The balancer is located on the front of the crank with the purpose of reducing engine vibration. A few grams of weight either way can change the vibration characteristics of the engine. Our problem usually occurs at about the same 1500 RPM. a slight change in the balancer weight might move the problem out of the RPM range that we can feel. Other factors would have to come into play to explain why the problem only occurs on certain vehicles. If the engine and exhaust system is totally done by robot, I have no explanation. If, on the other hand, humans are involved, slight differences in mounting, with a harmonic balancer which is not weighted correctly could explain the problem.

Any thoughts out there? My head hurts.
I've always thought that it maybe that flexible joint in front of the catalytic converter - maybe the torquing of the bolts, springs not quite the same, just a thought. Could explain why some cars have it and others don't and appears Jap builds don't have a problem. Maybe the Canadian boys and girls torque the bolts tighter/looser.
Old 09-15-18, 09:51 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

I've always thought that it maybe that flexible joint in front of the catalytic converter - maybe the torquing of the bolts, springs not quite the same, just a thought. Could explain why some cars have it and others don't and appears Jap builds don't have a problem. Maybe the Canadian boys and girls torque the bolts tighter/looser.
The installation of the TSB required the Techs to follow some pretty detailed instructions when they redid the flex joint. they were supposed to use vernier calipers to measure the free length of the two springs and replace them if they didn't meet specs. They were supposed to be extremely careful with the gasket and the flexible joint itself, and the torque values were specified. Then they were supposed to eyeball the assembly to make sure it was true, and consistent all the way around. Whether they did this is anybody guess, but in my case, the droning was not changed.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that the Japanese builds do not have the problem. I didn't know that. Should have, since our Australian friends don't have the droning. I believe my previous post about the harmonic engine balancer is a non starter. There is obviously a difference between the Canadian and Japanese production lines, and I would guess it is a human problem somewhere in the engine/exhaust system installation. Sure wish I could talk to the right person at Lexus. I think they may have found what was wrong, and the TSB is just a band aid to try and make a few of us happy without doing a very expensive recall. I don't think the 2018s have nearly the problem, if any, that the 16s, and 17s have.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 09-15-18 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-15-18, 10:32 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

There is obviously a difference between the Canadian and Japanese production lines, .
Could there be different emission standards enough for Lexus to use different catalytic converters for different countries?
Old 09-15-18, 06:49 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

The installation of the TSB required the Techs to follow some pretty detailed instructions when they redid the flex joint. they were supposed to use vernier calipers to measure the free length of the two springs and replace them if they didn't meet specs. They were supposed to be extremely careful with the gasket and the flexible joint itself, and the torque values were specified. Then they were supposed to eyeball the assembly to make sure it was true, and consistent all the way around. Whether they did this is anybody guess, but in my case, the droning was not changed.
See that's interesting, all that focus on that flexible joint.

I've have cars serviced on over 300 occasions (did a couple of very high mileage driving jobs over 20 years) at dealers and the number of times they broke something or did something else wrong (doubled the oil, wheel nuts not tightened, wrong assembly, leaving parts off the engine) was astonishing. I had massive arguments with service managers who said you should always have the car serviced at a dealer as "they know what they're doing, and will do it right", this is when I said I should go to a local mechanic or franchise. Anyway the point of all that is when these dealers are applying the TSB are they in fact doing whats stated on the TSB, I could easily imagine the service guy saying to himself "What's this crap, I know how to install/replace/repair that joint" and take no or little notice of the instructions. This may well explain why some people experience no improvement and others say there's a large improvement, some techies do the right thing and others don't.

After my experiences I have very little faith in dealers servicing. I have a friend who is the same and puts very small marks on items that should be replaced at a service (oil filter, diesel/water filter, air filter,etc) and there's been many times he's caught them out, the replacement is on the invoice but the same old part is still on the car. You just don't know what goes on behind those doors.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (09-15-18)
Old 09-15-18, 08:34 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

See that's interesting, all that focus on that flexible joint.

I've have cars serviced on over 300 occasions (did a couple of very high mileage driving jobs over 20 years) at dealers and the number of times they broke something or did something else wrong (doubled the oil, wheel nuts not tightened, wrong assembly, leaving parts off the engine) was astonishing. I had massive arguments with service managers who said you should always have the car serviced at a dealer as "they know what they're doing, and will do it right", this is when I said I should go to a local mechanic or franchise. Anyway the point of all that is when these dealers are applying the TSB are they in fact doing whats stated on the TSB, I could easily imagine the service guy saying to himself "What's this crap, I know how to install/replace/repair that joint" and take no or little notice of the instructions. This may well explain why some people experience no improvement and others say there's a large improvement, some techies do the right thing and others don't.

After my experiences I have very little faith in dealers servicing. I have a friend who is the same and puts very small marks on items that should be replaced at a service (oil filter, diesel/water filter, air filter,etc) and there's been many times he's caught them out, the replacement is on the invoice but the same old part is still on the car. You just don't know what goes on behind those doors.
I 100% agree! I really don’t give a crap if it’s Lexus or Fiat, the majority or dealers are scam artists. Lexus puts on a big show with fancy buildings & all kinds of luxury frills, but can their techs fix your car better than Joe Schmo? No!
Old 09-16-18, 12:48 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

I 100% agree! I really don’t give a crap if it’s Lexus or Fiat, the majority or dealers are scam artists. Lexus puts on a big show with fancy buildings & all kinds of luxury frills, but can their techs fix your car better than Joe Schmo? No!
Funny story you may like - one of my work cars was a Nissan Patrol diesel, it started stalling on trailing throttle at very low speeds when you went to accelerate, common thing was nearing a roundabout slowing right down and than you think I have time to go before the next car comes through, hit the throttle and......stalled straightaway as the car rolls into the roundabout - some very scary situations came up. Anyway I took it to 5 DIFFERENT dealers plus numerous times to one of those dealers and none of them could work out what was wrong, one dealer said "We know for sure the problem there" and replaced the fuel rail, $3000 later still stalling. All this was over many months until I told my boss he could shove his car where it won't fit, they collected it on a truck and after another week and another dealer worked out the problem and fixed it.

Car was fixed and we drove off into the sunset through outback Australia, we had done a few days driving and 7,000 km when 100's of kilometres from anywhere the car just died. Long story but the outcome was when the dealer fixed the stalling issue days earlier they forgot to install two support brackets that stopped the high pressure fuel lines from vibrating, those fuel lines vibrated so much that the fuel line became cracked so no pressure and the car died.

I love dealer servicing.....they do such a good job for a lot of money.
Old 09-17-18, 09:18 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Funny story you may like - one of my work cars was a Nissan Patrol diesel, it started stalling on trailing throttle at very low speeds when you went to accelerate, common thing was nearing a roundabout slowing right down and than you think I have time to go before the next car comes through, hit the throttle and......stalled straightaway as the car rolls into the roundabout - some very scary situations came up. Anyway I took it to 5 DIFFERENT dealers plus numerous times to one of those dealers and none of them could work out what was wrong, one dealer said "We know for sure the problem there" and replaced the fuel rail, $3000 later still stalling. All this was over many months until I told my boss he could shove his car where it won't fit, they collected it on a truck and after another week and another dealer worked out the problem and fixed it.

Car was fixed and we drove off into the sunset through outback Australia, we had done a few days driving and 7,000 km when 100's of kilometres from anywhere the car just died. Long story but the outcome was when the dealer fixed the stalling issue days earlier they forgot to install two support brackets that stopped the high pressure fuel lines from vibrating, those fuel lines vibrated so much that the fuel line became cracked so no pressure and the car died.

I love dealer servicing.....they do such a good job for a lot of money.
That is SO TRUE! Thanks for sharing that story. I think a lot of folks, to include myself, are sucked into this “Lexus can do no wrong” mindset. They make cars just like all the rest & if they see a way to avoid losing money (even at the customer’s inconvenience), they will do it. They carefully weigh if the situation will cost them further down the road & how much it will cost them. I honestly don’t understand how some manufacturers make any real money, because of all of their recalls. Lexus is very good about avoiding that sort of thing.
Old 09-17-18, 12:52 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

That is SO TRUE! Thanks for sharing that story. I think a lot of folks, to include myself, are sucked into this “Lexus can do no wrong” mindset. They make cars just like all the rest & if they see a way to avoid losing money (even at the customer’s inconvenience), they will do it. They carefully weigh if the situation will cost them further down the road & how much it will cost them. I honestly don’t understand how some manufacturers make any real money, because of all of their recalls. Lexus is very good about avoiding that sort of thing.
Repeated venting such as above contributes absolutely nothing towards a solution to the problem. It just makes the string longer. Much longer.
Old 09-17-18, 01:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Koetsu
Repeated venting such as above contributes absolutely nothing towards a solution to the problem. It just makes the string longer. Much longer.
Koetsu,

Please let the moderators do the moderating, if you have an issue with a member's post, report it vs making a call out that often escalates and takes threads even further off topic.

I have posted the request below earlier in this thread that I'll remind folks of:
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks, a moderator has pruned and/or edited some off-topic and rude replies and that seems to be a recurring concern in this thread, so I'm going to help with a couple simple requests:
  1. If you've already posted your opinion or experience here (either my RX is great or my RX has an issue) there isn't a need to keep reposting the same thing unless there is some new development or change. That serves simply to bump the thread with no new detail for members, sends out email notifications to hundreds of people, etc. New members coming into the thread can read your perspective and detail from past posts.
  2. If you're going to post a rude personal comment about another member, make accusations about their intent, etc. you will be asked to exit this thread permanently. There is no need for that on our community.
By all means share your experience and work together to resolve what seems to be an issue for some members, and I hope to see a more productive, less repetitive, conflict-free thread moving forward.

Please don't reply to this post and take this thread off topic further - if you want to discuss, please PM me or a moderator.
I do also ask we keep this discussion on the Lexus RX, not other marques.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-17-18 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 04:39 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Koetsu,

Please let the moderators do the moderating, if you have an issue with a member's post, report it vs making a call out that often escalates and takes threads even further off topic.

I have posted the request below earlier in this thread that I'll remind folks of: (see above)

I do also ask we keep this discussion on the Lexus RX, not other marques.
Agreed. On all counts. Thanks.
Old 09-19-18, 10:30 AM
FSportWaxy
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've started to notice a drone noise when stopped, and a light vibration in the steering wheel. Almost sounds like my RX has aftermarket exhaust.....is this similar to what people have been experiencing? I bought my RX350 F in June, 2017 (about 12k miles to date).....not sure if TSB had been applied once Lexus started to catch wind of the issue.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration