RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 01:05 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportWaxy
I've started to notice a drone noise when stopped, and a light vibration in the steering wheel. Almost sounds like my RX has aftermarket exhaust.....is this similar to what people have been experiencing? I bought my RX350 F in June, 2017 (about 12k miles to date).....not sure if TSB had been applied once Lexus started to catch wind of the issue.
I don't think what you are experiencing is the same exhaust drone noise that we are hearing at about 1500 RPM. If you check this thread -- Finally! A quiet F-Sport -- I think you will find what you are looking for.
Old 09-30-18, 10:45 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default “Drone” noise fixed

Job work order.
Had the center pipe replaced and Drone noise is now gone. Much quieter. Sounds like the 2018 loaner I had.

Last edited by stevemcb; 09-30-18 at 10:49 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by stevemcb:
cp2012 (09-30-18), JLounge (07-25-20), ravenuer (09-30-18)
Old 10-05-18, 01:19 AM
willisswee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry rx 350 2018

This is my first new car ever. I leased it because my dad died and I realized I should treat myself. It is beautiful, it is broken :-( I got it 8 days ago with 1700km on it. It was a demo. It makes a terrible noise and vibration at 35-40Km/hr and 50-55km/hr when I am accelerating. I am devastated, this is an expensive suv and I only wanted lexus as I wanted smooth and quiet. Now it vibrate like crazy and makes a loud humming noise when accelerating through thos gears. I not that most on this thread are from 2017, did lexus get a fix for it? I am taking it in tomorrow. Has anyone successfully managed to get lexus to take it back and give you a new car that doesn't do this? I am so sad!
Old 10-05-18, 02:57 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by willisswee
This is my first new car ever. I leased it because my dad died and I realized I should treat myself. It is beautiful, it is broken :-( I got it 8 days ago with 1700km on it. It was a demo. It makes a terrible noise and vibration at 35-40Km/hr and 50-55km/hr when I am accelerating. I am devastated, this is an expensive suv and I only wanted lexus as I wanted smooth and quiet. Now it vibrate like crazy and makes a loud humming noise when accelerating through thos gears. I not that most on this thread are from 2017, did lexus get a fix for it? I am taking it in tomorrow. Has anyone successfully managed to get lexus to take it back and give you a new car that doesn't do this? I am so sad!
I am not sure that the problem you described is the same noise that many of us experience, but I would get the dealer to check on the exhaust center pipe TSB. Take a look at the post just before yours for a good explanation of the fix.
Old 10-05-18, 03:15 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by willisswee
I'd be annoyed too - don't accept anything else but full satisfaction. Go to the dealer and make sure they understand it's not good enough, be firm, you spent a lot of money, ask to speak with the dealer principal, get him to go out with you in the car and show him the problem. Unlikely he'll know what's wrong but if he hears/feels it he can get the service people to do their part.

Good luck, let us know how you went.
Greg
Old 10-09-18, 07:59 AM
stevemcb
Driver

This is a follow up after a week of driving with the center pipe TSB done. I never realized how much noise the old system made even at normal driving speeds . My service adviser told me he could hear my noise on the road. It was not just the “drone” noise at 1400 RPM. The funny thing is now I can hear my tire noise when slowing down (Michelin). The noise level is much lower at ALL speeds. I do not know if this is the latest of the TSB fixes or if they are all the same. Persist in getting this done if you have one of the vehicles that have this issue. It is not just a isolated issue. When Lexus issues a TSB fix it is because there is a recognition of a issue that is more than a isolated situation. I know most owners do not have the issue but for the ones that do I fully understand the frustration of hearing the noise on a vehicle of this caliber. Lexus is not denying the existence of this issue.
Old 10-21-18, 10:22 AM
gball8800
Driver School Candidate

I have the 2018 rx which I purchased in Feb 2018. As soon as I left the dealer lot I noticed the noise and vibration. As with many of the posts here, the noise occurs at about 1500 rpm especially when the transmission upshifts. I immediately called the dealer about the problem. Shortly thereafter I made an appointment to have their technician ride with me to assess the problem. The technician verified that my car has the noise/vibration issue. The dealer response was to order and install the new exhaust pipe with the vibration damper. This fix seemed to help but by no means fully remedied the problem. A few months later the dealer called and offered to install the engine mount separator which I had done. This fix did essentially nothing to improve the problem. I was told that my experience would be forwarded to Lexus and I would be notified if any other solutions became available. So far I have heard nothing new.

As for my additional two cents, when I looked under my car at the new parts, I noticed the array of splash shields which many new cars now have. One thought is that while the source of the noise/vibration may be the transmission and/or exhaust system, the splash shields are picking up the vibration and amplifying it so it sounds louder. Just a possibility.
Old 10-22-18, 04:31 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

I have a 2016 RX with the noise problem, and a 2017 without the droning noise issue. Both are CPO vehicles that I purchased earlier this year. I have posted many times here on my efforts to fix the 2016 noise, and it is time for an update.

I first installed a muffler clamp and weight in front of the catalytic converter that Walt1953 (page 19 on this thread), and pgn628 (page 31) wrote about. This worked well​​​​​, but I was concerned about the effect of the weight on the flexible joint, so I removed it. Next, the exhaust pipe TSB was installed, which, in my opinion, made the noise worse. The dealer then put in the updated rear isolation engine mount which had no effect on the droning noise. I found that removing the weight attached to the TSB center section reduced but did not eliminate the noise.

I reinstalled the TSB weight and added Walt’s weight in front of the converter, and was surprised that the noise was not reduced. I then, once again removed the TSB weight, and the droning noise was essentially gone. I have talked to a few experts who have agreed that Walt’s invention will not harm the flexible joint, and should not effect the warranty. Just don’t crack the weld at the front of the converter. The car is quiet, and I am a happy camper.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 10-22-18 at 04:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rxtimes2:
alin1390 (01-30-20), ravenuer (10-22-18), vmoldovan (09-27-20)
Old 10-26-18, 09:06 AM
stevemcb
Driver

All is still quiet on my RX after the replacement exhaust part was replaced. Make sure you get the latest one as I believe there may have been some modifications as time went on. It has a fairly large weight attached to it with a flexible mesh type material on the pipe for flexibility. I have driven it about 1000 miles.
Old 10-26-18, 09:41 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stevemcb
All is still quiet on my RX after the replacement exhaust part was replaced. Make sure you get the latest one as I believe there may have been some modifications as time went on. It has a fairly large weight attached to it with a flexible mesh type material on the pipe for flexibility. I have driven it about 1000 miles.
If you still have the paperwork, could you give us the TSB number? Thanks.
Old 10-26-18, 11:52 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Please see post 1397
The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (10-26-18)
Old 10-26-18, 12:15 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stevemcb
Please see post 1397
Thanks Much. Just wanted to make sure it was the same TSB, and nothing was changed. It is.
Old 11-23-18, 08:00 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does RXL 350 have the Vibration/Noise issues ?

Hello,
I am considering getting a RXL 350. But I am worried about the vibration noise issue that has plagued the RX since 2016. Is this issue common on the RXL? Thank you for any input!
Old 11-30-18, 10:38 AM
DrWLG
Driver School Candidate

Default Noise and vibration in low gear

noticing audible growl in low gear and 15500-2000 rpm. Worse when engine is cold.
Old 12-01-18, 04:52 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrWLG
noticing audible growl in low gear and 15500-2000 rpm. Worse when engine is cold.
Tell us a little about your vehicle — what year RX, F-Sport?
Play this video (go in a little over 6 minutes).
Is this the noise you hear?

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration