RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 12:21 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bverant
I removed the TSB weight, leaving "Walt's weight" in place and the droning continued - no appreciable difference. This morning, I removed "Walt's weight" (so there are no weights at all), droning continued and is about the same. It does appear that with no weights the range of droning has slightly increased. Whereas before it would pretty much peak at 1500 RPM, it now seems to be from 1200 to 1700 RPMs with no weight. Tonight, I am going to put the TSB weight back on AND add "Walt's weight" as well next to the TSB weight and see what that does -- I am expecting it to be no different. It is absolutely LUDICROUS that I am doing this work on a brand new $64k vehicle that should never have had this problem to begin with. I have opened a customer support case, but I don't expect that to go anywhere.

It is clear Lexus is not doing any tuning or QC on their vehicles and just slapping random parts together and calling it a new model. This problem is on top of the dead spot/hesitation in re-accelerating from 5-10MPH (not going to detract the thread talking about this problem) . Very poor R/D work. This experience has shattered my image of Lexus as a brand.

I am likely going to be getting rid of this car, but I haven't decided on what to get yet.
I'm not familiar with how the weights are installed - do you touch the flexible joint ahead of the cat.

As you don't mind "playing around" with your car maybe you could try retorquing that flexible joint to see if there's any difference to your issues. My car doesn't have the problem so I don't want to touch it.
Old 12-13-18, 02:21 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Took the rxh for extensive test drives and the cvt on the hybrid exudes what this car should have been in the first place. The throttle response is instantaneous without hesitation and no droning what so ever. I've got 600 miles on my RXhL and couldn't be happier.
Old 12-13-18, 05:45 PM
bverant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
Took the rxh for extensive test drives and the cvt on the hybrid exudes what this car should have been in the first place. The throttle response is instantaneous without hesitation and no droning what so ever. I've got 600 miles on my RXhL and couldn't be happier.
I had a really bad experience with a Subaru Ascent CVT that eventually forced me to dispose of the vehicle, getting the 350L. So, I positively HATE CVTs because of the dumb fake shifts manufacturers put in them these days. I also didn't like the electric-only powered rear wheels of the AWD version of the 450H/450HL. Of course, fate has a way of screwing me pretty hard because now I have different problems than I did with the Ascent -- namely the engine droning and other, more minor, transmission issues. Ugg, I just can't win no matter what I do.
Old 12-14-18, 06:38 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bverant
I had a really bad experience with a Subaru Ascent CVT that eventually forced me to dispose of the vehicle, getting the 350L. So, I positively HATE CVTs because of the dumb fake shifts manufacturers put in them these days. I also didn't like the electric-only powered rear wheels of the AWD version of the 450H/450HL. Of course, fate has a way of screwing me pretty hard because now I have different problems than I did with the Ascent -- namely the engine droning and other, more minor, transmission issues. Ugg, I just can't win no matter what I do.
Wow... we were looking very closely at the Ascent to replace my wife's toyota sienna, but I couldn't bite on a brand new model and the issues that arise. My first experience with a CVT was the Infiniti JX. Had zero issues with it and it only had fake shifts in sports mode. I drove another QX60 (previously badged as a JX) and couldn't believe they put fake shifts in all of the driving modes. Absolutely felt like driving a toy car. Thankfully, the RX450hL does not have any fake shifts throughout all of the driving mode, even sports mode. Just smooth, linear acceleration. I, too was on the fence about how they employ AWD, but realistically, its not a deal breaker. I live in WI and we get plenty of ice and snow. Every car I've had with AWD has never driven as well as my wife's toyota sienna with snow tires, at that's only front wheel drive. My BMW X5 was terrible in the snow, even with AWD.
Old 12-14-18, 07:17 AM
bverant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jugdish
Wow... we were looking very closely at the Ascent to replace my wife's toyota sienna, but I couldn't bite on a brand new model and the issues that arise. My first experience with a CVT was the Infiniti JX. Had zero issues with it and it only had fake shifts in sports mode. I drove another QX60 (previously badged as a JX) and couldn't believe they put fake shifts in all of the driving modes. Absolutely felt like driving a toy car. Thankfully, the RX450hL does not have any fake shifts throughout all of the driving mode, even sports mode. Just smooth, linear acceleration. I, too was on the fence about how they employ AWD, but realistically, its not a deal breaker. I live in WI and we get plenty of ice and snow. Every car I've had with AWD has never driven as well as my wife's toyota sienna with snow tires, at that's only front wheel drive. My BMW X5 was terrible in the snow, even with AWD.
Yeah, I would be very cautious about the Ascent right now. It's in it's first model year and I have been reading on the Ascent forums about other people having transmission issues. I am sure most of the folks are having a fine experience, but that CVT, for me, was just garbage. For what it's worth, the Outback and Forester loaners I had, which also had CVTs, shifted MUCH better than the Ascent did.

I think I read that all hybrid gas-electric cars need a true CVT in them to work properly, which is probably why the 450H/HL has one. I admit I should have at least checked out the hybrids before wasting my money on a 350L. It is clear from my experience that Lexus isn't the brand I was led to believe it was. I assumed they refined their vehicles and paid attention to the small details; that was a poor assumption. What a waste of money this has been.

For the record, I found no combination of "Walt's weight" and the TSB weight that would reduce or eliminate the 1500 RPM droning on my 350L. So, I just removed "Walt's weight" entirely and am looking at to get rid of this vehicle at some point as I don't expect any support from Lexus on this or my other issues. You can definitely bet Lexus will never be a brand I buy again.
Old 12-21-18, 12:49 PM
Daniel0429
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I trying combined Wal's weight and TSB.The result came out great( vibration at 1500 RPM reduce a lot, very minimal)
Acceleration: no more rough vibration throughout pedals and feeling of lost power when reach 1500 RPM. Car very smooth right now even with ECO-MODE.
Drone: still have a little but not annoying like before and don't have buzz noise when reach 1500RPM.Cant even feel vibration if you don't focus about that.
Transmission: When applying Walt's weight and TSB . The transmission is shifting perfectly.The needle pass 1500RPM really smooth.
My car ride like what I expect and really enjoy it .
Thank You for all information I got in this group. Really helpful.
HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY.

Last edited by Daniel0429; 12-21-18 at 12:56 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Daniel0429:
ctocto (08-10-19), HTXRX350 (03-02-19), ravenuer (12-21-18), rxtimes2 (12-22-18)
Old 12-22-18, 04:20 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel0429

I trying combined Wal's weight and TSB.The result came out great( vibration at 1500 RPM reduce a lot, very minimal)
Acceleration: no more rough vibration throughout pedals and feeling of lost power when reach 1500 RPM. Car very smooth right now even with ECO-MODE.
Drone: still have a little but not annoying like before and don't have buzz noise when reach 1500RPM.Cant even feel vibration if you don't focus about that.
Transmission: When applying Walt's weight and TSB . The transmission is shifting perfectly.The needle pass 1500RPM really smooth.
My car ride like what I expect and really enjoy it .
Thank You for all information I got in this group. Really helpful.
HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY.
I thought I had tried just about every weight placement to reduce droning, but I didn’t think of the one that worked for Daniel. Placing Walt’s weight opposite to the TSB weight. Fantastic!

It seems that each vehicle requires a tuned weight placement to be effective. In my case, using Walt’s weight, and removing the TSB weight did the trick.
Old 12-22-18, 09:40 AM
Daniel0429
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rxtimes2

I thought I had tried just about every weight placement to reduce droning, but I didn’t think of the one that worked for Daniel. Placing Walt’s weight opposite to the TSB weight. Fantastic!

It seems that each vehicle requires a tuned weight placement to be effective. In my case, using Walt’s weight, and removing the TSB weight did the trick.
Last time, I tried remove TSB weight and attached 2 weight with muffer clamp near TSB welded. But it not working( only work when catalytic converter get cold, really annoy when hot and needle reach 1500 RPM).So I decided to remove those and attach TSB weigh again. The car drive like it should be, the needle not up and down and buzz noise ( still have but very minimal).I hated to press pedal for acceleration because it was feel rough and lost power when reach 1500 RPM. Right now, I really enjoy riding my car with ECO- mode, It feel smoother than normal mode. For MPG, I got after refuel is 18-19.5 MPG instead of 13-15 MPG.
Old 12-31-18, 11:28 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I want to pass on that I was recently given a 2018 RX 350 as a service loaner & I noticed it had a horrible noise/vibration just after 1500 rpm. The first time the wife road with me, she noticed it right away & asked what it was. It was really annoying, enough that I know I would not buy the RX 350 in the present design. I first noticed it on the 2016s while test driving, & they have failed to get rid of it. I’m thankful my RX 450h doesn’t have that horrible noise.

I also noticed that on a fast takeoff, the 350 transmission felt like it was all bungee cords with a lot of hunting & jerking going on. It was REALLY noticeable. If I took off slowly, the transmission was butter smooth.

Last edited by gadgetman1; 12-31-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 08:30 AM
miker72
Driver School Candidate

Default Want to quiet the exhaust tone on 2016 RX 350

Hello,

There is an exhaust tone on the 2016 RX 350 that I do not like. I just got this SUV After driving a 2006 Lexus IS 350 for 10 years.
I know it was to add sportiness to the vehicle but I prefer not to have it. Can I possibly change the muffler to say one used on a 2015 model?

Thank you to all in advance,

Mike.
Old 01-09-19, 09:27 AM
garylbarr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you just got your 2016 you weren't the first owner. Possibly the previous owner removed the induction noise reducer. Look further in this forum and you will find you can buy one from Toyota or Lexus they are cheap Less than $30.00
Old 01-09-19, 10:59 AM
rpjense
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by miker72
Hello,

There is an exhaust tone on the 2016 RX 350 that I do not like. I just got this SUV After driving a 2006 Lexus IS 350 for 10 years.
I know it was to add sportiness to the vehicle but I prefer not to have it. Can I possibly change the muffler to say one used on a 2015 model?

Mike.
Is it a F-Sport?
Old 01-09-19, 03:51 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by miker72
Hello,

Mike.
If it's the F-Sport it has a "resonator" designed by Yamaha to make the 350 growl. If that's the noise you're concerned about read the following thread. I bought the resonator which is for the NON F Sport models, cheap, easy to install (bit fiddly) and it does quieten down the car under harder acceleration. No difference really when pottering around.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...f-sport-3.html
Old 01-10-19, 03:47 AM
Edino
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snimren
Upon starting a cold engine in the morning, and shifting into drive while the foot is still on the brake, there is a rattle-like noise coming from the engine. It persists for about 5 minutes while driving (depending on the outside temperature), and then it goes away.
You can hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL7dxR01vQQ
This is recorded immediately after starting the engine. At about 0:02 the car is in drive mode, and you can clearly hear it until 0:04 when the car starts moving.
The dealer tells me most of 2016 and 2017 RX350s experience the same behavior and it is normal.

Has anyone else experienced the same?
Our 2017 RX350 has exactly the same sound. Brought it to the dealer for a check up, they agreed the sound was not normal. They wanted to check with Lexus; made a video, and sent it to Lexus support. They came back today with the suggestion to change the vacuum pump. Will bring it in next week, and post back if it was the solution.
Old 01-10-19, 06:39 AM
miker72
Driver School Candidate

Default . Not a F Sport

It is not a F Sport. It's a base with the executive package. I checked with the dealer and it was never modified. It is normal to hearing a bit of growl in the exhaust and a hum when cruising?

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
If it's the F-Sport it has a "resonator" designed by Yamaha to make the 350 growl. If that's the noise you're concerned about read the following thread. I bought the resonator which is for the NON F Sport models, cheap, easy to install (bit fiddly) and it does quieten down the car under harder acceleration. No difference really when pottering around.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...f-sport-3.html

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration