RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Touch Free Rear Door Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 07:20 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 377 Posts

Mine has always been flakey. I just use the button above the license plate. I figure if I have a hand free to wave at the emblem, I can use the same hand to push the button.
Old 03-10-19, 10:50 AM
c3uo
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I also forgot to mention, mine works by holding my elbow / forearm over the emblem for a second or two. Works great. Waving my hand... not so much.
Old 03-10-19, 12:08 PM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hover hand/elbow/arm a few inches from the top half of the emblem. Works every time. Just like someone else said, don't wave.
Old 03-10-19, 07:56 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

If the doors are locked, you might have to wait for the doors to unlock, before removing the hand. I find it harder to get it to open when the doors are locked. Probably because I see the lights flash and remove my hand. That usually unlocks the doors, but does not open the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Nail34 (03-11-19)
Old 03-11-19, 04:52 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

And don't leave your hand there too long, it actually won't open then. Just place any body part close and above emblem, you'll hear the noise and then move body part away.
Old 03-11-19, 06:43 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Mine has always been flakey. I just use the button above the license plate. I figure if I have a hand free to wave at the emblem, I can use the same hand to push the button.
I was just going to say the same thing. The location of the hands free sensor is puzzling - why would they put it 9" away from the actual button? I get the idea that you can use a body part if your hands are full, but how often does that really happen? And if my hands are full, am I really going to stick an elbow out there? Seems like a useless feature to me - would have been far better to have it foot activated.
Old 03-11-19, 06:51 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I was just going to say the same thing. The location of the hands free sensor is puzzling - why would they put it 9" away from the actual button? I get the idea that you can use a body part if your hands are full, but how often does that really happen? And if my hands are full, am I really going to stick an elbow out there? Seems like a useless feature to me - would have been far better to have it foot activated.
Well I guess it doesn't matter how far from the button it is, irrelevant if you ask me - I often use my arm/elbow when carrying things, just the right height to wave my arm above it. Foot operated ones??? So balancing on one foot while carrying items, not a good idea, I'd rather have two feet planted on the ground.
chunktwo (03-13-19)
Old 03-13-19, 11:36 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Well I guess it doesn't matter how far from the button it is, irrelevant if you ask me - I often use my arm/elbow when carrying things, just the right height to wave my arm above it. Foot operated ones??? So balancing on one foot while carrying items, not a good idea, I'd rather have two feet planted on the ground.
at first i thought the touch-free button was silly and didn't think i would use it.. but sure enough.. one day i had my left hand full of grocery bags and was carrying my daughter with my right arm... i didn't want to set anything down because it was raining - i just used my elbow to get close enough.
it comes in handy once in a while - I couldn't imagine trying to balance on one foot for the foot operated ones.
Old 07-29-19, 05:37 PM
Fullwave
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handsfree Rear Door question

I've had my 2019 RX350L for a few weeks now and I think I've only gotten the rear door to open "hands free" twice out of 20 attempts. Is there some magic to this? We've tried the 45 deg angle approach. In the shade. In the sun. After cleaning the logo plate. Nothing seems to get it to work. TIA.
Old 07-29-19, 06:04 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

At first I could never get it to work and now it almost always works. First thing is it has to be be locked if the truck is unlocked I’ve never gotten it to work I’m not sure if it’s supposed to work unlocked or not. You have to be standing behind the Lexus emblem or at least partially blocking it. Extend your arm and touch the top 1/3 of the Lexus emblem hold your hand there until it beeps and you hear the power lock disengage. I used to hate the “gimmick” and I now love it I can get it to work using my elbows while carrying bags.

Originally Posted by Fullwave
I've had my 2019 RX350L for a few weeks now and I think I've only gotten the rear door to open "hands free" twice out of 20 attempts. Is there some magic to this? We've tried the 45 deg angle approach. In the shade. In the sun. After cleaning the logo plate. Nothing seems to get it to work. TIA.
Fullwave (07-29-19)
Old 07-29-19, 06:09 PM
Fullwave
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ellocovg
At first I could never get it to work and now it almost always works. First thing is it has to be be locked if the truck is unlocked I’ve never gotten it to work I’m not sure if it’s supposed to work unlocked or not. You have to be standing behind the Lexus emblem or at least partially blocking it. Extend your arm and touch the top 1/3 of the Lexus emblem hold your hand there until it beeps and you hear the power lock disengage. I used to hate the “gimmick” and I now love it I can get it to work using my elbows while carrying bags.
Thanks. I was probably a bit impatient with it. I'll give it another try. If no luck I'll run through it with the Lexus tech guy.
Old 08-06-19, 05:41 PM
Trap
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had 100% success with it sensing my touch if I do it differently than posted. I just point my finger at the top of the emblem. Not a karate chop, or palm, or any other gyrations. Hand in a fist, but one finger out.
Nail34 (08-11-19)
Old 08-06-19, 06:25 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Trap
I've had 100% success with it sensing my touch if I do it differently than posted. I just point my finger at the top of the emblem. Not a karate chop, or palm, or any other gyrations. Hand in a fist, but one finger out.
Which finger??
LOL
ravenuer (08-06-19)
Old 08-11-19, 10:35 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Trap
Best method ever!! As stated, 100%. I use the index finger (digitus secundus).
Old 08-12-19, 03:18 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

I’ve found the one true method that is 1000% fail proof. Forget that your key is in your pocket and proceed to wash your RX. As all of the lather (Mr Pink preferred) is running down the tail gate you will pas the wash mitt over the emblem and it will immediately start to beep and rise as you panic to keep the cargo area you already vacuumed and wiped down dry. Works every freaking time!
The following 4 users liked this post by ellocovg:
1Louder (08-13-19), GSFRX350 (08-12-19), Nail34 (08-12-19), ravenuer (08-12-19)

Quick Reply: Touch Free Rear Door Issues