RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Touch Free Rear Door Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-19, 02:39 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello all! It’s been a VERY long time since I’ve been around the forum. Nice to be back after such a long hiatus. Sorry for reopening this older thread, but I recently just bought an 2018 rx350 with the luxury package and all the other goodies to replace our 2011. It’s a much nicer vehicle.

My wife has a 2016 with luxury package as well, but doesn’t have all the extra trimmings mine has. Which brings me to the point. In her settings on the PBD, she has all on all off and touchless on and off. Mine only has all on and all off. I find it hard to believe that her car has the touchless feature and mine doesn’t. Is this a stand alone option throughout all trim levels, or should I expect my luxury package to have it as well. The fact that my car doesn’t have the same setting option in the PBD is making me think that I don’t have it. But who knows, maybe it’s a software issue or maybe it’s just different in the 16 vs. 18 model. Not a big deal either way, but I’m just surprised. Could it be a glitch? How could my filled to the gills RX not have it? Any help? I would have thought the touchless would have been part of a package and not a stand alone option. Anybody know for sure?
Old 12-06-19, 04:06 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Hello all! It’s been a VERY long time since I’ve been around the forum. Nice to be back after such a long hiatus. Sorry for reopening this older thread, but I recently just bought an 2018 rx350 with the luxury package and all the other goodies to replace our 2011. It’s a much nicer vehicle.

My wife has a 2016 with luxury package as well, but doesn’t have all the extra trimmings mine has. Which brings me to the point. In her settings on the PBD, she has all on all off and touchless on and off. Mine only has all on and all off. I find it hard to believe that her car has the touchless feature and mine doesn’t. Is this a stand alone option throughout all trim levels, or should I expect my luxury package to have it as well. The fact that my car doesn’t have the same setting option in the PBD is making me think that I don’t have it. But who knows, maybe it’s a software issue or maybe it’s just different in the 16 vs. 18 model. Not a big deal either way, but I’m just surprised. Could it be a glitch? How could my filled to the gills RX not have it? Any help? I would have thought the touchless would have been part of a package and not a stand alone option. Anybody know for sure?
Do you have the window sticker? It'll be on there. Actually everything will!
Old 12-06-19, 05:27 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Do you have the window sticker? It'll be on there. Actually everything will!
I do not have the original window sticker, but I do have a “printout” that the dealer gave me. I’ll check when I get home. What is the feature listed as the window sticker? Hands free power rear door? Thanks
Old 12-06-19, 05:50 PM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I do not have the original window sticker, but I do have a “printout” that the dealer gave me. I’ll check when I get home. What is the feature listed as the window sticker? Hands free power rear door? Thanks
Its a Touch free rear door and it’s a $200 stand alone option even with the Luxury package. Follow this link and enter your vin. It will tell you all the options on your vehicle https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (12-07-19)
Old 12-06-19, 05:59 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by lgb0250
Its a Touch free rear door and it’s a $200 stand alone option even with the Luxury package. Follow this link and enter your vin. It will tell you all the options on your vehicle https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs
Thank you. Looked it up. It’s official. I don’t have it. Thanks for the quick help!
Old 09-21-20, 03:14 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Useless feature nominee: touches rear hatch opening

Don't know what others think about this feature but I find it useless on my 2016 RX350. It seems to only work if your hand is in a very precise spot...which is difficult to find if your other hand is holding something that you intend to place in the rear...i.e. golf clubs, a suitcase, grocery bag, etc...Unless there's a sensitivity adjustment I'm not aware of.
I usually just press the hatch key on the remote or use the dash button.
Old 09-23-20, 05:42 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Cropdustef
Don't know what others think about this feature but I find it useless on my 2016 RX350. It seems to only work if your hand is in a very precise spot...which is difficult to find if your other hand is holding something that you intend to place in the rear...i.e. golf clubs, a suitcase, grocery bag, etc...Unless there's a sensitivity adjustment I'm not aware of.
I usually just press the hatch key on the remote or use the dash button.

When I first got my 19 it drove me mad trying to figure it out for about a week. After about a week I learned the quirkiness and ever since I’ve had 100% success using it. I learned I have to stand behind the emblem and put my elbow or my finger tips on the top half dead center of the Lexus emblem. I think the biggest thing is you have to be standing right behind the emblem you can’t be next to it.
Old 09-24-20, 05:29 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
When I first got my 19 it drove me mad trying to figure it out for about a week. After about a week I learned the quirkiness and ever since I’ve had 100% success using it. I learned I have to stand behind the emblem and put my elbow or my finger tips on the top half dead center of the Lexus emblem. I think the biggest thing is you have to be standing right behind the emblem you can’t be next to it.
I just place my forearm above the emblem and have no issues. Sometimes my arm is even touching it and it still works.
Old 03-28-21, 08:31 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Touch free door operation

how do you work the touch free door i looked in the manuel but the option isnt there on my screen

i looked up my vin and it says i have the touch free door.

does this need to be activated in the software by the dealership?
Old 03-28-21, 04:35 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

nevermind figured it out you have to turn in on through the dashboard of your car and not the radio screen.
Old 03-28-21, 07:29 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

You just hold your hand, elbow, shoulder on the rear lexus logo with the key on you and itll open the trunk. The other doors unfortunately need to be manually opened
Old 03-29-21, 07:49 PM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lgb0250
Cool link you provided, got the ffg on my EXEC

PORT- OR FACTORY-INSTALLED EQUIPMENT
AU D172 15 Speaker Mark Levinson Surround Sound Audio System Factory
CL T001 Automatic Air Recirculation Control System Factory
CN V009 Touch-free Power Back Door Factory
CN V021 Qi-compatible wireless smartphone charging with charge indicator light Factory
CN V100 Clearance and Backup Sensors Factory
CO NV15 Rear Door Sunshade - Manual Factory
EX T700 Panoramic Glass Roof Factory
IN S117 12.3-inch Electro Multi Vision (EMV) Display Factory
IN S126 Voice-activated HDD Navigation System with Remote Touch Factory
IN S182 Head-Up Display Factory
IN S225 Wide-view Front, Rear and Side Monitor System Factory
LG T313 Cornering lamp Factory
LG T318 Premium LED Headlamps Factory
LG T340 Premium LED Rear Combination Lamps Factory
ST R101 Woodgrain & Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel Factory
ST S055 Premium Leather Seat Surfaces Factory
ST S124 4-way Power Adjustable Driver and Passenger Seats with Lumbar Support Factory
ST S870 Rear Power Recline Seat Factory
ST S936 Power Foldable Rear Seats Factory
ST S962 10-way Power Adjustable Drivers Seat Factory
ST S965 10-way Power Adjustable Passenger Seat Factory
TR M166 Aluminum Scuff Plates - Front LED Illuminated Factory
WH L160 20" Aluminum Alloy Wheels Factory
Old 07-06-22, 06:09 PM
charli627
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by aznkorboi
the manual says you can wave or touch the upper part of the lexus emblem.

It also says that if you press the close gate button twice, it will close the trunk AND lock the doors! haha
Old 01-31-23, 11:45 AM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

In my opinion, the touchless sensor was a pain and many times did not work. The touchless sensor was not offered after the "kick sensor" was available. The kick sensor was an option and not on all RXs. My 2022 RX does not have either and I am very satisfied with it.
The following 3 users liked this post by RGSW:
coolbrazz (01-31-23), jollick (01-31-23), ravenuer (01-31-23)
Old 02-02-23, 08:56 AM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My 2016RX had the touch sensor, it worked most of the time but with both hands full it could turn into a yoga session trying to touch it. My 2021RX does not have this feature (it was discontinued with the 2020 model year for the new "kick" sensor). However, it is still an optional feature and it's not available if your vehicle is equipped with the tow package as the hitch would just block it. I don't plan on towing anything with mine, but since it has that option, I can't option the kick sensor. That said, its just easier to use the button or remote then to try to master the art of karate to use some of these functions. Your mileage may vary.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (02-02-23)

Quick Reply: Touch Free Rear Door Issues