RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Bluetooth with Google Maps and radio at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-16, 06:21 PM
barx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth with Google Maps and radio at the same time

I'm having issues with my Bluetooth settings.

I'd like to connect my iPhone 6 to the car via bluetooth to hear directions from the Google Maps app. But I'd like to be able to play music from the radio at the same time.

My expectation would be that when the Google lady is saying directions, the radio music would dim while she talks, then resume when she's done. Similar to when you have an incoming call. Is this possible?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-16, 06:57 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've not gotten that to work on any car, much less Lexus. Not to say it's not possible, but bluetooth audio is treated as a unique media source. Just like radio, satellite, etc...
Old 01-02-16, 07:05 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

At some point before iOS 9, the car treated google maps voice directions as a call, so whenever directions were dictated the phone screen would come on and mute the radio and speak. That changed with iOS 9 though. There is no way the radio will lower for the directions to be said with google maps, on any car.
Old 01-03-16, 10:47 PM
kenforum
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by barx
I'm having issues with my Bluetooth settings.

I'd like to connect my iPhone 6 to the car via bluetooth to hear directions from the Google Maps app. But I'd like to be able to play music from the radio at the same time.

My expectation would be that when the Google lady is saying directions, the radio music would dim while she talks, then resume when she's done. Similar to when you have an incoming call. Is this possible?

Thanks!
It is possible. I just tried it today. I was listening to the radio and when google map gives direction, the radio stopped momentarily and google voice came in. Then when google finished, the radio came back in. The car does treat bluetooth google map as a call. By the way I have iphone 6 plus with iOS 9.2
Old 01-04-16, 01:21 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

No doubt an Apple thing as mine does it to (6S+)
Old 03-31-18, 08:47 AM
RLM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Goggle Maps will not play through Bluetooth

My smartphone is Bluetooth connected no issue to my Lexus 2016 RX 450H.

However when I try to use Goggle Navigation via Bluetooth is does not play, no audio.

Anyone know how to get Goggle Maps to work with Lexus Bluetooth.

Thanks
Old 03-31-18, 09:00 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 848 Likes on 641 Posts

Couple of methods, select Media/Bluetooth to play your phone over the speakers.
Check that the Google prompts/warnings are playing (be sure your phone
volume is turn halfway or higher). Now select any phone based media
you have such as IHeartRadio, Pandora, iTunes. While you are listening
any Google prompts will break in and mute the media. Phone calls will
do the same, ring/answer/hangup and the media will return.

Alternate if you wish to listen to Satellite or CD (remember those?) is to go into
the menu of the app and select "play Bluetooth as phone call" This will cause
the app to interrupt the radio playback with map prompts the same as a phone
call would.
Old 03-31-18, 09:16 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Alternate if you wish to listen to Satellite or CD (remember those?) is to go into
call would.
where is this setting?? Thanks
Old 03-31-18, 09:29 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Is there a setting in Google navigation to direct its audio to the vehicle's music, hands-free or other Bluetooth audio stream? I don't see a setting that can do that in Google nav on my Android phone and it's not the first time I have looked. I've seen similar questions about the Waze nav phone app and don't remember anyone getting it to stream its audio to a vehicle's Bluetooth.

Some phone apps do have options for directing their audio output to a choice of Bluetooth streams. For example, the free A2DP Volume app available on Google play can direct its audio output to one of several Bluetooth streams. I connect it to the HFP stream so that that it doesn't interfere with listening to other media, e.g. sat radio, Pandora, CD, etc.
Old 03-31-18, 09:32 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

call would.
I'd like to know how to do that too. I can't find a "play Bluetooth as phone call" setting in Google nav like in some other apps such as the A2DP Volume app I mentioned.

Last edited by Kansas; 03-31-18 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added "such as the A2DP Volume app I mentioned."
Old 04-16-18, 02:48 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 848 Likes on 641 Posts

I have discovered lately that Android phone Apps do not permit the "Bluetooth as phone call" setting.
As a longtime Apple user I just assumed the Apps were the same.

Would an Android user confirm that you can play a media app such as Pandora or iHeart and that
a Navigation App will mute the media with an announcement?
Old 04-18-18, 08:03 PM
jjnagy
Driver School Candidate

I have discovered lately that Android phone Apps do not permit the "Bluetooth as phone call" setting.
As a longtime Apple user I just assumed the Apps were the same.

Would an Android user confirm that you can play a media app such as Pandora or iHeart and that
a Navigation App will mute the media with an announcement?
I can confirm that my Pixel XL with Android Oreo 8.1 does exactly that. When listening to Pandora and using Google maps, any directions from Google maps mutes Pandora audio and gives the directions, and when finished returns to Pandora audio. Nothing special other than setting up the Bluetooth to connect.
Old 04-30-18, 03:01 PM
DenverRx
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

For years, I haven't been able to get audio directions from google maps. After reading this thread, I went into the google maps settings, and turned off bluetooth. Now I get audio from my phone speaker, though it doesn't mute the radio, which is no big deal. Thanks for solving this!
Old 10-03-19, 09:55 AM
tonyspring
Driver School Candidate

My Galaxy S9 seems to work just fine sound wise. If the google maps function would actually mirror visually, that would be very cool as Google Maps is much more accurate than the Lexus GPS. I don't want to install the Grom Infotainment system as it is a little expensive and takes more to install than I want to do.
Overall, I'm happy.
Old 10-03-19, 11:24 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
At some point before iOS 9, the car treated google maps voice directions as a call, so whenever directions were dictated the phone screen would come on and mute the radio and speak. That changed with iOS 9 though. There is no way the radio will lower for the directions to be said with google maps, on any car.
I have a 2016 RX 450h with Navigation & the premium infotainment (not ML). When I try to use Google Maps via Bluetooth, it comes across the screen as a phone call from myself & sometimes clips off part of what is being said by the app directions. I have also noticed that it’s been running dreadfully slow, even when connected to AT&T 5G e networks. Lexus is pathetic on their mobile phone tech. Hell, Chevy just adds Apple Car Play & it works flawlessly. Lexus, what a joke for a $50,000+ vehicle. The GX 460 is even worse! Lexus sales are down 23.3% for September this year as compared to September 2018. I wonder why...

I just looked at the 2019 Audi Q5, Q7 & Q8. Holy geez, they blow Lexus away with their mobile tech! The nav is embedded in the driver’s gauges & the infotainment screen will show real time aerial views via Google Earth satellite. We could see the car in the dealer’s lot as we drove it out onto the street. How cool is that?! I’m disappointed in Lexus quality & their inability or refusal to keep their tech updated. At some point, I feel I will be moving onto another brand out of frustration.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth with Google Maps and radio at the same time