RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-22, 03:38 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I recently purchased a 2022 RX 350 F Sport and am in the process of looking for Xpel professional installers in my new town. I've had great results with the Xpel clear bra on my 2012 Corvette ZR1 that was installed when I bought it new. The front end of a vette can take a beating due to the low stance and particularly the protruding splitter. 10 years later and the front end looks like the day I took delivery. I can't say the same for the 2013 Subaru Outback that I just sold. No clear bra for it. The front end of that car was pocked worse than the face of the moon.

Last edited by Lexspeed; 02-24-22 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-24-22, 04:09 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm a tightar**, I just buy a roll of film online from one of those cheap Chinese "Amazons" for $5 and put it on the front bumper. Cheap and effective but has to be redone every year or two.
Old 02-25-22, 01:36 PM
NotAFiat
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default SunTek PPF

Originally Posted by hkbruin2
I'm at about 1250 miles on our new RX and I've noticed that there are already small rock chips/etching on the front bumper
We drive on the highway on weekends mostly and I suspect that is when the knicks were incurred due to the high speed. I've decide to get a clear bra PPF kit ASAP from carprotectionpros.com for the bumper, hood, headlights, and mirrors. have any of you installed such protection on your cars? I'm going to go with the pre-cut Xpel Ultimate and install myself. I've done decal installs on various things and have experience with applying this kind of adhesive film. I haven't purchased yet so if you guys know of any other resellers or deals can you share your info and experience? The PPF kit from carprotectionpros.com comes out to $399 (deluxe kit with Xpel ultimate, install squeegee, tax, and shipping).
Another option I am considering is getting an Opticoat treatment, but somehow I don't feel like it will protect the paint like the urethane Xpel film. If I install the Xpel film can I still opticoat over it and or wax the surface as well as the rest of the RX? any insight would be appreciated!!
Had SunTek installed by the dealer before I picked up the car. The bumper, entire hood, fenders, outside mirrors and door handle cups were covered. Requested that the SunTek be wrapped around the edges of the hood to hide the seam. I used Turtle Wax Ceramic spray on the car and the Suntek took it beautifully. So far not a mark on the surface. The car has low mileage so time will tell how effective it is. I hate stone chips.
Old 02-26-22, 10:29 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 575 Likes on 406 Posts

I have had Xpel installed on 1/2hood, mirrors, headlights, door handle cups and rear bumper top when I picked up the car 6 years ago. Still looks like new. I do a lot of highway. The bumper and chrome trims which don't have the film have lots of stone dents / chips though. But that won't rust.
Old 02-27-22, 07:42 AM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
I never done clear bras. I always thought they were really protecting the car for the next owner of the vehicle. I like wear and tear as it gives me an excuse to purchase another vehicle. (-: I would rather spend the money on all the gadgets in the car as I will enjoy those more.

However, I see the attraction as they do help keep a car looking nice longer, albeit for the next owner.
Yeah, that's the way it seems. You get the car with the lines all over it, then person who buys your car after you trade it in, takes of the PPF and it's looking good. Kind of like plastic on sofa's. Great, you get the pastic now, but when you die and the grandkids take your sofe off to college, they get to actually enjoy the sofa without the plastic
The following 2 users liked this post by ChicagoRJ:
coolbrazz (02-28-22), ravenuer (02-27-22)
Old 02-28-22, 09:12 AM
AZJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Xpel material on the headlights interfere with intensity or distance lighted by the headlights? Or does it retain heat in the headlight unit?
I installed weathertech film on a 2013 RX350. My new 2021 RX350 had film to all other areas except headlights. Thinking about getting it done. I have been very pleased with film products. Last RX only had partial hood protection....and of course the stones lefts chips on the rear section of the hood, the front looked great...they work
Old 02-28-22, 09:35 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJoe
Does the Xpel material on the headlights interfere with intensity or distance lighted by the headlights? Or does it retain heat in the headlight unit?
I installed weathertech film on a 2013 RX350. My new 2021 RX350 had film to all other areas except headlights. Thinking about getting it done. I have been very pleased with film products. Last RX only had partial hood protection....and of course the stones lefts chips on the rear section of the hood, the front looked great...they work
I don’t think it would retain heat - but I understand your concern living in AZ. I have had Expel or Lluminar applied to the last 5 or 6 cars without issue and no visible reduction in light intensity. Our installer recommended it on plastic headlight lenses as it offers UV protection and consequently reduces the hazing effect so common with clear plastic. In the AZ heat, I might be more worried about the hazing than heat retention, but that is obviously just speculation on my part. Of course, the protection against stone chips is also valuable.
Old 03-01-22, 06:52 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I had Xpel film applied to the entire front end of my 2012 vette 10 years ago including the headlights and fog lights. I'm glad I did. You can't even tell it is there unless you really look closely. I can't imagine there has been any effect on light output. 10 years later the front end looks brand new, with no yellowing of the film. The UV properties prove their worth over time. I doubt, but am unsure, there would be any heat retention issues with the application of such a thin film.
Old 03-01-22, 07:16 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

No Light reduction impact for me. These headlamps are LED and do not get hot, hence no heat issue.
Old 03-01-22, 03:03 PM
supra725
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I got quoted $795 for xpel for the bumper, headlights, mirrors and the door cups. What do you guys think?
Old 03-02-22, 09:24 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by supra725
Well I got quoted $795 for xpel for the bumper, headlights, mirrors and the door cups. What do you guys think?
I think it sounds pretty good. It is considerably less than I paid, but I also had the entire hood and front fenders done. I assume from this price you were quoted for just that initial 18” or so of the hood and fenders?
Old 03-02-22, 09:38 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by supra725
What about the hood? If it includes the hood then its a good price, at least compared to the Canadian prices.
Old 03-02-22, 09:54 PM
supra725
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, ther other placed quoted me $1100 for the same thing, I haven’t asked for the hood or the fenders yet. Is it worth it to?
Old 03-03-22, 07:49 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

For me the metal parts are the most important (Hood and fenders) Plastics do not corrode.
Old 03-03-22, 08:30 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

I had the dealer install their product, can't recall the name. 24" up the hood, bumper cover, fenders, backs of mirrors, door handle cups. $1000.00

Was following a contractor pickup towing a trailer last summer. A small bit of hardened material, likely clay, fell off the trailer and bounced up off the road onto my hood. Took out a nice gouge from the film, but didn't get through to the paint.

As far as the plastic bits and protection, that gets bashed up just as bad as the metal would. Anyone in Alberta was confirm; pickle (mix of sand, salt, tiny pebbles) is great for iced roads, bad for paint on any surface and of course, windshields.

I like the fact that it's easier to clean off the bug splatter from the film on the bumper cover using a more aggressive fibre sponge. Am not concerned about damage to the paint.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?