RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 09:30 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by qktnpfhs
I already installed xpel ultimate clearbra for whole front(hood, bumper, fenders, grill, emblem, side mirrors) right after I picked up my 16 RX F-sport. And then I bought more Xpel ultimate ppf file on Ebay to install front and rear doors and rear panels. I installed ppf front, rear doors and rear panels by myself and it took a lot of times. Now I just need to install rear bumper and trunk.

I totally understand you. My old car had so many rock chips so I decided to install ppf film(whole body) when I get a new car. When the film shop installed whole front, there was no pre-cut so the shop used whole film and then they had to cut (I personally prefer this though because it fits better) so it took a lot of time. In my case, installation came with 7 years warranty so if it turns to yellow or has some problems, they will just install to new one. It was expensive $1400 (include tax) and that's why I installed front & rear doors and rear panels by myself(It's not extremly hard but hard) but I think PPF is worth it because you don't have to worry about re painting your bumper or hood later
Do you recommend getting a FULL body protection? Why? Also, if I am correct, if let's say someone lets a shopping cart loose and it hits your car from the side, although it may not damage the paint, the dent will still be there with the protection correct?
Old 01-03-16, 09:51 AM
qktnpfhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Do you recommend getting a FULL body protection? Why? Also, if I am correct, if let's say someone lets a shopping cart loose and it hits your car from the side, although it may not damage the paint, the dent will still be there with the protection correct?
I don't recommend Full body it's up to you but I do recommend whole front(maybe door handles and fuel cap area too). You can get scratches without dents. PPF is just a protection. I've had a bad experience. My old car's front and rear door had scratches by something. There was no dent but a lot of scratches. No dents but repainting was recommended. That's why I just decided like let's do full body. (Also I wanted to try install PPF by myself. Haha)

Anyway,
Full boby PPF? It's up to you.
Whole front? Highly recommend

Last edited by qktnpfhs; 01-03-16 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-03-16, 09:56 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't recommend Full body it's up to you but I do recommend whole front(maybe door handles and fule cap area too). You can get scratches without dents. PPF is just a protection. I've had a bad experience. My old car's front and rear door had scratches by something. There was no dent but a lot of scratches. No dents but repainting was recommended. That's why I just decided like let's do full body. (Also I wanted to try install PPF by myself. Haha)

Anyway,
Full boby PPF? It's up to you.
Whole front? Highly recommend
Nice. Man your car is so beautiful and sexy. Can't wait
Old 01-03-16, 01:49 PM
hkbruin2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already installed xpel ultimate clearbra for whole front(hood, bumper, fenders, grill, emblem, side mirrors) right after I picked up my 16 RX F-sport. And then I bought more Xpel ultimate ppf file on Ebay to install front and rear doors and rear panels. I installed ppf front, rear doors and rear panels by myself and it took a lot of times. Now I just need to install rear bumper and trunk.

I totally understand you. My old car had so many rock chips so I decided to install ppf film(whole body) when I get a new car. When the film shop installed whole front, there was no pre-cut so the shop used whole film and then they had to cut (I personally prefer this though because it fits better) so it took a lot of time. In my case, installation came with 7 years warranty so if it turns to yellow or has some problems, they will just install to new one. It was expensive $1400 (include tax) and that's why I installed front & rear doors and rear panels by myself(It's not extremly hard but hard) but I think PPF is worth it because you don't have to worry about re painting your bumper or hood later
Thanks for sharing! What were the most challenging aspects of doing the side doors? Was it cutting the sheets to the appropriate angles along the chrome trim near the windows? Did you start with the straight edge there and manipulate the line, and also tuck the film under the chrome trim?

Question about how your prof. Installer did the bumper lip, did he use a hairdryer/heat gun to soften the film to make it malleable around those contours or just cut the film at angles, or both I assume?

The white definitely looks clean! My wife already has a white Accord so she wanted black this time, so obsidian is what we got! I am not a pro detailer/ film installer by any means, and most of my experience is on RC cara haha, but the idea is the same

Here are some of my projects I've built over the years. Sorry, no Lexus models yet, and yeah 1/10 scale, but I think these are harder than the larger sheets sometimes. The decals are thinner and are pretty soft when heated, and the principle of install is the same using soapy water -that is the key for a clean install with no air bubbles or lint/dust getting under the film.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?-image.jpg  
Old 01-03-16, 02:47 PM
qktnpfhs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hkbruin2
Thanks for sharing! What were the most challenging aspects of doing the side doors? Was it cutting the sheets to the appropriate angles along the chrome trim near the windows? Did you start with the straight edge there and manipulate the line, and also tuck the film under the chrome trim?

Question about how your prof. Installer did the bumper lip, did he use a hairdryer/heat gun to soften the film to make it malleable around those contours or just cut the film at angles, or both I assume?

The white definitely looks clean! My wife already has a white Accord so she wanted black this time, so obsidian is what we got! I am not a pro detailer/ film installer by any means, and most of my experience is on RC cara haha, but the idea is the same

Here are some of my projects I've built over the years. Sorry, no Lexus models yet, and yeah 1/10 scale, but I think these are harder than the larger sheets sometimes. The decals are thinner and are pretty soft when heated, and the principle of install is the same using soapy water -that is the key for a clean install with no air bubbles or lint/dust getting under the film.

You are welcome I’ve wrapped my car parts before but this was my first time. Also, PPF film and wrapping film was kinda different. PPF film is much thicker than normal wrapping film.

I think the hard part was squeezing wet solution out. I did not want to any dust so I spent a lot of time for that part. I did start with the straight edge line(chrome part). Cutting was not too hard but you should be EXTRA careful(Don't scratch your brand new car). You probably need OLFA knife and 9mm Ultra Sharp Black Snap-off Blade. I got these from Amazon. I noticed that professional PPF installation guy used OLFA knife and snapped off a lot of blades while he installed PPF. He tried to have VERY SHARP blade all the time so I did the same. After installation you will see so many snapped off blades

I recommend this way. Since you don’t have any PPF installation experience, go to PPF installation shop first and watch whole installation process. I watched whole PPF installation when my car was there for whole front part and I asked several questions to professional installation guy. I learned a lot of things from watching and asking.

He said if I stretch, there is gonna be a stretch mark so try to not to stretch PPF film unless you really need to. (RX’s front side is curvy but not too bad. He said Porsche was the most difficult one). He used hair dryer but not very often(usually for the edges). Since front and rear doors are not that curvy, I only used hair dryer for the edges and for wrapping them inside(I hope this makes sense). Bubble problem. I think it is impossible to not to have bubbles right after installation( I tried hard to not to have bubbles) but there were several bubbles so I used very thin needles to pop it out(I learned this from the shop too). It did not make any noticeable marks so don’t worry about popping bubbles

I'm not a pro detailer either but after you finish one door panel you will get used to it

Last edited by qktnpfhs; 01-03-16 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-03-16, 04:40 PM
hkbruin2
Rookie

I may do that, where I'll watch and train myself to do it after observing a pro do it first. You can only watch so many YouTube videos. I may also buy some 3M film and try it first on my wife's car as a trial run
Old 01-03-16, 07:35 PM
Pfizer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bwsteg
is your car a white f sport? Paint protection film put on by lidetailers?

I have Xpel Ultimate full front end (wrapped edges) on my 15 f sport...So far no damages such as chips, etc. since I got the car on May 2015. Although I only have about 1000 miles thus far...

P.S, I did get tar on the front hood which only sat for about 25 minutes before I wiped it off, but left a yellow stain that wouldn't come out. Xpel replaced the hood film under warranty.
Yes i sent my car to LIdetailers
Old 01-03-16, 09:17 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I saw a pro using "knifeless tape" when he was wrapping vinyl around some parts for me. I'm guessing clear bra might be too thick to do this?

Old 01-04-16, 02:01 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pfizer
Yes i sent my car to LIdetailers
Nice car by the way. How did you get the triple beam headlights? Was your RX a special order?
Old 01-04-16, 08:34 AM
Pyt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this done (full bumper, hood, fenders, headlights + fog lights, and mirros) on my F-Sport the week after I purchased the car. Many people can't even tell it's on there but if you look closely around some of the edges, you can see it. I went with the XPEL PPF and have no regrets. Totally worth it in my opinion.

The only thing worth noting is that XPEL didn't have the cut outs for the F-Sport emblems at the time I went in for it (at least from what I was told). They may have it now but you should double check if you're going with this brand. It's no big deal for my as the emblems were removed and put back on in the same exact location as it was from the factory. The installer I used was great and even added to some places like parts of the rear bumper and rear inner door panels as we're expecting a child and they're known spots for scratches due from strollers, car seats, and such. I'd recommend them but they're in the socal - north valley (chattworth). PM me if you're interested in the contact info.

Here are some photos I took of the car... I can take additional ones closer up after I wash it.

Old 01-04-16, 08:46 AM
qktnpfhs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skiracer
I saw a pro using "knifeless tape" when he was wrapping vinyl around some parts for me. I'm guessing clear bra might be too thick to do this?

Finish Line Knifeless Tape Butt Seam Demonstration with Two Pieces of Vinyl Wrap - YouTube
I'm not sure but clear bra is kinda thick so I don't think you can use that.
Old 01-04-16, 09:12 AM
hkbruin2
Rookie

That's looking really nice PYT! That caviar looks great under the sun. I live down in south OC so I'm not sure if I would make the trek up to Chatsworth, but I'll PM you if you don't mind. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-04-16, 12:34 PM
Pyt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks hkbruin. I really like the color. The Xpel PFF also comes with a 10 year warranty.
Old 01-04-16, 06:49 PM
Pfizer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bwsteg
Nice car by the way. How did you get the triple beam headlights? Was your RX a special order?
Yes it was a special order. Thanks.
Old 01-05-16, 08:32 AM
Mors
Pole Position

I own a 3rd gen RX and had a clear bra installed (full hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, a-pillars, and partial roof). Expensive ($2500 i think), but completely worth it. I wish I would have had the whole car done. I think it is much easier to wash the car where the clear bra is on. Plus, i just found a scratch on the rear passenger door yesterday where someone had to have rubbed up against my car (about 2 feet long). Made me sick. If I had that part of the car wrapped, that damage wouldn't have been near as bad, and probably none at all.
My next new car: full wrap

Quick Reply: Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?