RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 06:16 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew2020
On another note, does anyone else notice when sitting in the back row that you feel sensitive to the acceleration/braking? I sat in the backseat while my dad drove and felt like I was getting pushed hard when accelerating and pulled during brakes. He doesn't have a heavy foot either. It just doesn't feel like a smooth ride sitting in the back.
When you are not the driver you will always feel a difference in the ride. Between the steering wheel, gas and brake pedal the driver will have a sense in what is going to happen next vs. passengers.
The following 2 users liked this post by MKenM:
Andrew2020 (01-03-21), jollick (01-04-21)
Old 01-03-21, 07:57 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

My wife would agree with Mike. Passengers feel acceleration and braking more than the driver because the driver has a steering wheel to hold onto. Ray A.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (01-04-21)
Old 02-18-21, 10:17 AM
irish87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 hesitation

Originally Posted by lexusnav
Hi,

I bought a new 2018 Rx350 last week, the car is sluggish in acceleration after a stop sign/ red light, when i push the accelerator i can hear sort of vibration below my seat and across the car. it seems like its either missing transmission or changing gears, it all goes away when i take my foot off the accelerator pedal and push it again.This happened a few times, specially when i am getting on a highway/freeway. Overall it runs smooth and a nice ride.

My question: is this a common problem in new car and will it go away once i put more km on it or do i get it checked out at dealership.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Note: If this topic has already been discussed in a previous thread please let me know, I will remove this thread and post my query in other one.
I have had the same issue since we took delivery. We hit the gas and there seems to be a half beat before the acceleration begins. Have you found a solution anywhere?
Old 02-18-21, 10:54 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by irish87
I have had the same issue since we took delivery. We hit the gas and there seems to be a half beat before the acceleration begins. Have you found a solution anywhere?
Don't use ECO mode!
armandtoe (02-18-21)
Old 04-10-21, 06:48 PM
Rigatony
Driver School Candidate

Question Jumpy

Recently purchased a used 2017 rx350. It’s very jumpy a low speed especially going from 20 to 30 mph. The trans can’t make up its mind. It’s really noticeable when it’s cold. (not operating temp) It almost seems like a fuel issue. Is it an issue or the result of having an 8 speed?
Old 04-11-21, 02:31 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Rigatony
Recently purchased a used 2017 rx350. It’s very jumpy a low speed especially going from 20 to 30 mph. The trans can’t make up its mind. It’s really noticeable when it’s cold. (not operating temp) It almost seems like a fuel issue. Is it an issue or the result of having an 8 speed?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ost-159-a.html

Old 04-11-21, 05:13 AM
Rxyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been having the same issue on my 2016 RX350. I've got TSB L-SB-0032-19 applied but it didn't make any significant differences in the shifting. 'Transmission can't make up its mind' is exactly how I'd describe it as well. It really takes the pleasure out of driving this vehicle especially in slightly mountainous areas. Using premium fuel seem to make it better (most likely because of better low-end torque), so does using Red Line additive. At this point, I have given up on this issue and I'm trying to suck it up.
Andrew2020 (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 11:42 AM
Andrew2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rxyen
I've been having the same issue on my 2016 RX350. I've got TSB L-SB-0032-19 applied but it didn't make any significant differences in the shifting. 'Transmission can't make up its mind' is exactly how I'd describe it as well. It really takes the pleasure out of driving this vehicle especially in slightly mountainous areas. Using premium fuel seem to make it better (most likely because of better low-end torque), so does using Red Line additive. At this point, I have given up on this issue and I'm trying to suck it up.
I can attest for this too on my '17 f sport. Got the same tsb done last month but still have the jumpy acceleration. Premium gas and techron fuel cleaner didn't seem to help either. I recently started using eco mode when I have passengers on and want a smoother (but incredibly slow) ride. For my more spirited drives even at sport+, acceleration is jumpy with tranny unsure of what gear to use.
Rxyen (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 08:18 PM
Rigatony
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for including me on this long string. At least I know the issue is consistent with the 8 speed.
Old 04-11-21, 09:05 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for including me on this long string. At least I know the issue is consistent with the 8 speed.
It's purely the software mapping, designed for fuel economy. In Sports mode it is far better or have the TSB done which makes Normal Mode more like Sports. Dealers usually only do the TSB upon request, some people are happy with the way it drives like myself.
Old 04-11-21, 09:35 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
It's purely the software mapping, designed for fuel economy. In Sports mode it is far better or have the TSB done which makes Normal Mode more like Sports. Dealers usually only do the TSB upon request, some people are happy with the way it drives like myself.
If the purpose of the faulty shifting is for fuel mileage, it seems that Lexus shot itself in the foot. My most recent 2020 RX 350 loaner was an absolute piece of garbage. I drove it home in the rain in the Texas Hill Country & that transmission was all over the place & my mpg was just over 20 mpg. I told the dealer that it shifts all over the place (jumps up to high gear too fast, then shifts down & surges). They said it was normal. That is not normal transmission behavior. That experience made me appreciate my CVT on my 450h!
Old 04-11-21, 11:53 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
If the purpose of the faulty shifting is for fuel mileage, it seems that Lexus shot itself in the foot. My most recent 2020 RX 350 loaner was an absolute piece of garbage. I drove it home in the rain in the Texas Hill Country & that transmission was all over the place & my mpg was just over 20 mpg. I told the dealer that it shifts all over the place (jumps up to high gear too fast, then shifts down & surges). They said it was normal. That is not normal transmission behavior. That experience made me appreciate my CVT on my 450h!
Line up ten different drivers and you could find ten different driving styles. And those ten drivers could drive around in certain geographical areas like only level ground, or only hilly areas or mostly freeways or mostly metro. With that mix of drivers and conditions you get some people happy with the car, some adjust to the car and are still happy while others don't like it at all. Than some people fiddle around with changing fuel octane they use, this in turn changes the mapping as the learning transmission adjusts to the fuel and/or the driver's changing driving style.

Of course it would be ideal if the car would be smooth in all conditions when driven by different drivers. I don't know what Lexus were thinking but going by the fact fuel consumption is a big consideration and this thing isn't good on fuel at any time they decided to go the fuel economy route. It's a Lexus, a largish Lexus which traditionally more matured people go for, people who don't drive hard, people who give it gentle throttle openings and under those conditions it works well as is in Normal Mode. Want more go throw it in Sports and it works better if you're the kind of person that likes more pace, wider throttle openings Sports Mode is great.

As I said there is a TSB for it, for people who don't like the mapping and this changes it to be more like Sports Mode when in Normal Mode. Yes I know YOUR car may not have been better but seems plenty on here did have a better experience with the TSB applied.
rxtimes2 (04-12-21)
Old 04-11-21, 11:54 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

By the way I get around 21/22 in town and 30 on the freeway.
Old 04-12-21, 07:22 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
By the way I get around 21/22 in town and 30 on the freeway.
My Fuelly app is averaging between 24-26 mpg in 75% Highway & 25% City driving in my RX 450h. I think the new Tundra the twin turbo 3.5 V-6 will be interesting. Small Toyota vehicles seem to get great mpgs, but bigger V-6 & V-8 models can be pretty awful & WAY worse than their competitors. I’m curious if the 8 speed tranny in the 350 is used across the board now. Anybody know?
Old 04-12-21, 09:09 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I’m curious if the 8 speed tranny in the 350 is used across the board now. Anybody know?
According to Wikipedia, it would appear so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35.

EDIT: Contrary to Wiki, my 2015 RX had a six speed transmission. I believe this 8-speed was new for Gen 4, starting in 2016, not 2013.

Last edited by dibl; 04-12-21 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)