RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-21, 09:33 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I've experienced the exact same problem numerous times, and Lexus software updates have not solved the problem. My workaround has been to install a Sprint Booster that quickens the throttle response. It's plug and play, leaves no electronic footprint, and makes the driving experience less annoying and safer. For the time being, run sport mode and be safe.
Old 04-26-21, 12:20 PM
Rxyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gnguyen
Now add on top of that the prominent drone issue; the car is loud like a tractor and hesitates with the shifting. From a 30 year Toyota owner, I can say this is the biggest POS I've purchased.
Totally agree. My 10 year old Toyota RAV4 used to shift way predictably than the garbage transmission/software on this POS. The vehicle literally can't hold gear especially while starting from a stop. I think it briefly engages the 2nd gear only to prematurely upshift to 3 resulting in a dramatic loss of power. Can't believe this is how the shifting works in a premium vehicle! This should be class-action issue.
Old 04-26-21, 03:28 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxyen
Totally agree. My 10 year old Toyota RAV4 used to shift way predictably than the garbage transmission/software on this POS. The vehicle literally can't hold gear especially while starting from a stop. I think it briefly engages the 2nd gear only to prematurely upshift to 3 resulting in a dramatic loss of power. Can't believe this is how the shifting works in a premium vehicle! This should be class-action issue.
As I mentioned, I'm a 30 yr Totoya/Lexus owner. But my 2017 Highlander had a blown transmission at 12K miles. I traded it for a 2019 RX 450H and got the hesitation/drone issue. The car is for my wife and it scares the crap out of her and me when she tries to turn left to merge into traffic and the transmission hesitates (like a lost of power). I complained about it and was told it's normal so I chucked it to bad luck. At 500 miles, I traded it for a 2019 350 RX (lost a lot of money). I tested it thoroughly being quite aware of the drones/hesitation issue; it drove well. About 200 miles later all the issues showed up. The dealer applied all known TSBs but the problems kept getting worse and of course they say everything is "within tolerance". Fck you Lexus!

I was in the market for a truck (owned a rock solid 2006 Tacoma) last week. Naturally I would consider the Tundra because it's a Toyota product. This time, not so much, because Toyota/Lexus will never make another dime from me. I bought a loaded 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie V8 5.7 Hemi. Even for a truck the cabin is much more quiet than my RX. The rides is superb and the transmission is flawless. Thing is, the loaded RAM is cheaper than my POS RX 350.
Old 04-26-21, 03:50 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 452 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
My 450h was in for service & they gave me a 2020 RX 350 for a loaner. This loaner had about 14,000 miles on it. I don’t know how Lexus can get away with such a garbage transmission! It was horrible to drive in the hill country. There’s no way in hell I would ever buy a 350!
wow....my 2020 RX 350 AWD drives perfectly. The transmission was one of the many reasons that I came to Lexus from Acura since they were using that horrible ZF9 hunt and delay transmission. When I did one of my many test drives with the RX I took it out and ran the transmission through the paces and was very impressed with the lack of delay and total smoothness. I have about a 100 mile daily commute and drive a crazy highway with tons of high acceleration merges. I have never felt any hesitation....the vehicle has always done what I have asked it to do immediately.

Maybe they got the software right by the time mine was built. I have about 17,000 miles and the car has been flawless.
The following users liked this post:
bamalam (04-27-21)
Old 04-26-21, 03:52 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts

[QUOTE=gnguyen;11041259]As I mentioned, I'm a 30 yr Totoya/Lexus owner. But my 2017 Highlander had a blown transmission at 12K miles. I traded it for a 2019 RX 450H and got the hesitation/drone issue.

Sorry to hear you have the hesitation problem with a hybrid. I guess trouble just follows you. I never heard of hesitation issues with a hybrid, since there is no gear to hunt for or clutches to grab. We have 2 hybrids and they and other people I know have no issues.

Last edited by golferjack; 04-26-21 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling
jollick (04-26-21)
Old 04-26-21, 06:02 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

As I mentioned, I'm a 30 yr Totoya/Lexus owner. But my 2017 Highlander had a blown transmission at 12K miles. I traded it for a 2019 RX 450H and got the hesitation/drone issue. The car is for my wife and it scares the crap out of her and me when she tries to turn left to merge into traffic and the transmission hesitates (like a lost of power). I complained about it and was told it's normal so I chucked it to bad luck. At 500 miles, I traded it for a 2019 350 RX (lost a lot of money). I tested it thoroughly being quite aware of the drones/hesitation issue; it drove well. About 200 miles later all the issues showed up. The dealer applied all known TSBs but the problems kept getting worse and of course they say everything is "within tolerance". Fck you Lexus!

I was in the market for a truck (owned a rock solid 2006 Tacoma) last week. Naturally I would consider the Tundra because it's a Toyota product. This time, not so much, because Toyota/Lexus will never make another dime from me. I bought a loaded 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie V8 5.7 Hemi. Even for a truck the cabin is much more quiet than my RX. The rides is superb and the transmission is flawless. Thing is, the loaded RAM is cheaper than my POS RX 350.
Don't understand what's going on there, the 450H doesn't have this hesitation being described here, different type of transmission and others I read about seem very happy with their 450H.
Old 04-26-21, 06:03 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
wow....my 2020 RX 350 AWD drives perfectly. The transmission was one of the many reasons that I came to Lexus from Acura since they were using that horrible ZF9 hunt and delay transmission. When I did one of my many test drives with the RX I took it out and ran the transmission through the paces and was very impressed with the lack of delay and total smoothness. I have about a 100 mile daily commute and drive a crazy highway with tons of high acceleration merges. I have never felt any hesitation....the vehicle has always done what I have asked it to do immediately.

Maybe they got the software right by the time mine was built. I have about 17,000 miles and the car has been flawless.
There's a TSB to rectify this on earlier RX's, maybe they are using that updated software now on the 2020/2021's. Where's yours made?
Old 04-26-21, 07:37 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

This time, not so much, because Toyota/Lexus will never make another dime from me. I bought a loaded 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie V8 5.7 Hemi. Even for a truck the cabin is much more quiet than my RX. The rides is superb and the transmission is flawless. Thing is, the loaded RAM is cheaper than my POS RX 350.
Thanks for this very enlightening contribution.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
GSFRX350 (04-27-21), raylor4 (05-06-21)
Old 04-26-21, 10:45 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I really wish you would have mentioned this earlier. I had a beautiful Ram Longhorn Laramie. It was my dream truck with every option available, except air ride. In two years, that POS spent over 200 days in the shop. The transmission would suddenly lurch like I was hit from behind when I came to a stop, the tailgate would mysteriously fly open on acceleration, all kinds of electrical craziness would happen, disabling all center console controls for traction control, trailer brakes, & seat heaters & coolers. I also mysteriously lost coolant constantly & I had a multitude of check engine lights. It also never got anywhere close to the claimed EPA mpg. I hired a lemon law attorney & FCA was forced to refund every dime of my money. Talk about a POS! I will NEVER own anything made by the butt wipes at FCA. FCA dealers are like the Flintstones, backwards, stupid & incapable of assisting their customers & they don’t care. They will go bankrupt again & they deserve it.
Old 04-27-21, 12:40 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 452 Likes on 248 Posts

Mine was a Jan 2020 build from Au Canada.
GSFRX350 (04-27-21)
Old 04-27-21, 03:24 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I really wish you would have mentioned this earlier. I had a beautiful Ram Longhorn Laramie. It was my dream truck with every option available, except air ride. In two years, that POS spent over 200 days in the shop. The transmission would suddenly lurch like I was hit from behind when I came to a stop, the tailgate would mysteriously fly open on acceleration, all kinds of electrical craziness would happen, disabling all center console controls for traction control, trailer brakes, & seat heaters & coolers. I also mysteriously lost coolant constantly & I had a multitude of check engine lights. It also never got anywhere close to the claimed EPA mpg. I hired a lemon law attorney & FCA was forced to refund every dime of my money. Talk about a POS! I will NEVER own anything made by the butt wipes at FCA. FCA dealers are like the Flintstones, backwards, stupid & incapable of assisting their customers & they don’t care. They will go bankrupt again & they deserve it.
I took the plunge fully aware of RAM's reliability issue. I also looked at the F150, but it's quite boring. Given that Toyota/Lexus struck me out 3 times in a row, it didn't make any sense buying their product again. Time will tell with the RAM, but so far I'm enjoying it immensely; already exceeded expectation compared to the RX.
Old 04-27-21, 03:33 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I took the plunge fully aware of RAM's reliability issue. I also looked at the F150, but it's quite boring. Given that Toyota/Lexus struck me out 3 times in a row, it didn't make any sense buying their product again. Time will tell with the RAM, but so far I'm enjoying it immensely; already exceeded expectation compared to the RX.
I wish you luck. My Ram was as quiet as the Lexus also. I just couldn’t get past the total ignorance of the Ram dealers. The difference in the appearance of the service departments is like comparing the Taj Mahal to a cave. I went to numerous dealers seeking resolutions & each one was terrible. Toyota & Lexus really keep their service bays clean. Chevrolet does too! I’m not sure why FCA is so terrible.
Old 05-06-21, 06:49 PM
Rigatony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My issue with the hesitation is at low speeds. I’ve narrowed it down to 3rd gear. It can’t make up its mind. It surges then smooths out then surges again. It especially happens when cold. It’s driving me crazy....
Old 05-06-21, 06:57 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Rigatony
My issue with the hesitation is at low speeds. I’ve narrowed it down to 3rd gear. It can’t make up its mind. It surges then smooths out then surges again. It especially happens when cold. It’s driving me crazy....
What year is your RX model?
Old 05-06-21, 07:00 PM
Rigatony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2017 rx350

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)