RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 07:43 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Rigatony
2017 rx350
And you've had the TSB done?
Old 05-06-21, 07:45 PM
Rigatony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, what is TSB?
Old 05-06-21, 08:23 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rigatony
No, what is TSB?
Technical Service Bulletin
Your friendly Lexus dealer can update the ECU software, it should make it feel more like Sports Mode and eliminate (mostly) those problems.
TSB Number is: L-SB-0032-19
Tell them the problem BUT make sure you mention that number and they should update the software for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by GSFRX350:
NX200 (05-06-21), rxtimes2 (05-07-21)
Old 05-06-21, 08:25 PM
Rigatony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ll check it out....thanks!
Old 05-14-21, 10:24 AM
renovatior
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Technical Service Bulletin
Your friendly Lexus dealer can update the ECU software, it should make it feel more like Sports Mode and eliminate (mostly) those problems.
TSB Number is: L-SB-0032-19
Tell them the problem BUT make sure you mention that number and they should update the software for you.
Do you know if this applies to 2020 as well? If not, does 2020 have similar TSB? Mine also has this hesitation issue since day 1.
The following users liked this post:
NX200 (05-14-21)
Old 05-14-21, 05:45 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by renovatior
Do you know if this applies to 2020 as well? If not, does 2020 have similar TSB? Mine also has this hesitation issue since day 1.
Couldn't tell you. I believe there's been no changes to engine/transmission so the TSB probably would be suitable. As the issue is not a "problem" as such, only a design issue it may well be the same to this day. Some people are fine with it, depends on their driving style and terrain they drive in.
Old 05-15-21, 05:09 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Some people are fine with it, depends on their driving style and terrain they drive in.
Mine had the update and it behaves much better! This is what I've observed in all new transmissions, the more gears it has the more this problem appears because he computer "analyzes" what is the right gear to use.
This happens especially when putting the hammer down because this is when the computer has the biggest choice of gears.
If pressing the accelerator slightly the tranny ECU doesn't need to chose from so many gears and so the hesitation is minimal if at all. That's the best I can describe it.
Old 05-15-21, 05:30 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Cocal
Mine had the update and it behaves much better! This is what I've observed in all new transmissions, the more gears it has the more this problem appears because he computer "analyzes" what is the right gear to use.
This happens especially when putting the hammer down because this is when the computer has the biggest choice of gears.
If pressing the accelerator slightly the tranny ECU doesn't need to chose from so many gears and so the hesitation is minimal if at all. That's the best I can describe it.
Toyota's CVT spells RELIEF. AH AH AHHHH

Last edited by golferjack; 05-15-21 at 05:31 AM. Reason: sp
The following 2 users liked this post by golferjack:
gadgetman1 (05-15-21), jollick (05-15-21)
Old 05-15-21, 05:34 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by golferjack
Toyota's CVT spells RELIEF. AH AH AHHHH
This has nothing to do with CVT as they do'y have gears!
Old 05-15-21, 05:46 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Not sure if that's the same "hesitation" that I'm thinking of. I know the car tends to not go instantly, maybe because of the "drive by wire" system but I'm referring to the fact the transmission changes up gear too soon.

You slow down for a corner at an intersection and try accelerating out GENTLY, the car will change up gear too soon. It doesn't go fast enough for you so give it more gas and the car suddenly changes down a gear (or two) and takes off, particular if the road you turn onto is going uphill. This is in Normal Mode, put it in Sports Mode and the car will hold that lower gear as you exit the turn and allow you to accelerate faster.

In my town it's very flat and being a town of 30,000 people it's pretty slow on the roads, no big city stress, and I drive gently, small throttle openings and the car works fine for me. If I do try to drive faster (particularly in a big city) I get the hesitation, that's when I use Sports Mode, holds the gears better and an overall smoother driving experience. Same when I drive around where my daughter lives, very hilly terrain and the car suffers badly with the hesitation in Normal Mode so I put it in Sports Mode.

We don't have the TSB here in Australia but we do use a mid tier premium fuel as recommended by Lexus so that may help to alleviate the issue somewhat.

websurfer (05-16-21)
Old 05-15-21, 06:13 AM
Cocal
Racer

Not sure if that's the same "hesitation" that I'm thinking of. I know the car tends to not go instantly, maybe because of the "drive by wire" system but I'm referring to the fact the transmission changes up gear too soon.

You slow down for a corner at an intersection and try accelerating out GENTLY, the car will change up gear too soon. It doesn't go fast enough for you so give it more gas and the car suddenly changes down a gear (or two) and takes off, particular if the road you turn onto is going uphill. This is in Normal Mode, put it in Sports Mode and the car will hold that lower gear as you exit the turn and allow you to accelerate faster.

In my town it's very flat and being a town of 30,000 people it's pretty slow on the roads, no big city stress, and I drive gently, small throttle openings and the car works fine for me. If I do try to drive faster (particularly in a big city) I get the hesitation, that's when I use Sports Mode, holds the gears better and an overall smoother driving experience. Same when I drive around where my daughter lives, very hilly terrain and the car suffers badly with the hesitation in Normal Mode so I put it in Sports Mode.

We don't have the TSB here in Australia but we do use a mid tier premium fuel as recommended by Lexus so that may help to alleviate the issue somewhat.
I've observed that if you press the accelerator gently and then hold it at that level there is very little to no searching for gear, but if I press to the bottom even if gently it searches for what gear to use and because it has more gears to chose from there is hesitation. Still a far cry from the old trannies when you put the hammer down and you had instant acceleration, but then those had from 3 to 5 gears to chose from, now they have from 8 to 10.
Old 05-15-21, 09:58 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

This has nothing to do with CVT as they do'y have gears!
I never thought I would like the 450h CVT, but I do! The difference between the 350 & 450h is like night & day! I wouldn’t agree with the statement that there are just too many gears. My crappy Ram had a ZF 8 speed tranny & it never hunted or got “confused”, even when towing. It was probably the best thing on that truck. I recently tested a new GMC Denali with the 10 speed. It was smooth as glass. No hunting, no hesitation, just smooth. I also drove a GX 460 & it was very smooth also. I don’t know what it is that Lexus did to this tranny, but it just flat out sucks. The last loaner I had was a 2020 model & it was the worst one I have driven yet. It was horrible on hills in the rain. I just couldn’t get it to drive smoothly without it lurching into the wrong gear, either up or down.
xxx350L (05-16-21)
Old 05-15-21, 10:27 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I never thought I would like the 450h CVT, but I do! The difference between the 350 & 450h is like night & day! I wouldn’t agree with the statement that there are just too many gears. My crappy Ram had a ZF 8 speed tranny & it never hunted or got “confused”, even when towing. It was probably the best thing on that truck. I recently tested a new GMC Denali with the 10 speed. It was smooth as glass. No hunting, no hesitation, just smooth. I also drove a GX 460 & it was very smooth also. I don’t know what it is that Lexus did to this tranny, but it just flat out sucks. The last loaner I had was a 2020 model & it was the worst one I have driven yet. It was horrible on hills in the rain. I just couldn’t get it to drive smoothly without it lurching into the wrong gear, either up or down.
I don't know what they did to the tranny and perhaps I'm not the best example for the solution as I use only premium gas (may have something to do)
My dealer gave me the update 2 yrs ago and I must say that it improved the response, which on my vehicle was never that pronounced, up to 95%. I do have a 1st class dealer though and this may have more to do with it than anything else.
I see these cars today where technology is used as marketing tool and a lot of it is only there because it can be put there and it doesn't perform any real useful function or where a button/**** would do better.
So with this technology come all the glitches of electronics. I know I sound like a dinosaur, but I remember when a driver actually drove the vehicle and not just steer it.
Old 05-15-21, 02:07 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

I’m 100% with you! I’m anxious to try out the Nissan “safety features”. I was impressed with Honda’s & I hear Nissan’s systems are just as good. Toyota’s are just just too invasive & difficult to disable. I had at least 2 2020 loaners last year & they shifted kind of bad, but not nearly as bad as the last one. Surely over the course of that car’s 14,000 miles, someone would have spoken up to the dealer & said something isn’t right. I sure did - who knows if the did anything. I just know that if something happened to destroy my 450h, I would end up with a hoopty for a short time. Car lots are empty. What hasn’t sold is all they have for the time being. This would be a great time for Lexus to tackle this transmission issue.
Old 05-16-21, 01:08 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Today I tackled the transmission issue...I SOLD IT! I had the RX 350L AWD with luxury pkg since March 2019 and this car did not disappoint on resale value, plus covid has caused used car values to increase by 20%. The 2022 MDX Type S with SH-AWD is on my radar, but the wait could be maybe 6 months or more because of the chip shortage. I wish all of you the very best, stay healthy and safe.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)