RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-21, 09:31 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
There is only so much that the computer can compensate for lower octane level, that's why the manual says not to go below 87.
In cases like this there is no choice but to move up to 89 or even better 91 octane.
Actually, I meant the opposite. I’m not sure how to word it differently. It sort of sounds like folks at lower altitudes (higher octanes) have more issues than those at higher altitudes (lower octanes), but I’m just guessing & have no real data on this. I’ve run some tests on my 450h using 87 octane & then having the dealer check the knock sensors logs. Nothing showed, so that told me, it’s not an octane issue. I don’t have this problem on my 450h, but some of the loaner 350s I’ve had, did have some problems, but they were not consistent.
Old 10-16-21, 11:17 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Actually, I meant the opposite. I’m not sure how to word it differently. It sort of sounds like folks at lower altitudes (higher octanes) have more issues than those at higher altitudes (lower octanes), but I’m just guessing & have no real data on this. I’ve run some tests on my 450h using 87 octane & then having the dealer check the knock sensors logs. Nothing showed, so that told me, it’s not an octane issue. I don’t have this problem on my 450h, but some of the loaner 350s I’ve had, did have some problems, but they were not consistent.
Do you think that it may have something to do with the quality of the gas?
Old 10-16-21, 09:05 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Cocal
Do you think that it may have something to do with the quality of the gas?
Yes, it could possibly be related to how much ethanol and/or additive is in the fuel. Too much will cause all sorts of issues. On my 450h, I get consistently better mpg when I run Top Tier gas. If I buy anything other than Top Tier, my mpg drops by at least 2 mpg & the car runs poorly.
The following 2 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
Cocal (10-17-21), jollick (10-17-21)
Old 12-11-21, 11:19 PM
socaligs
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Lethargic Transmission FIXED!!

Love my rx350 but hate the lethargic transmission. Recently took it to my dealership to seek some type of remedy and was told that my transmission needed an update. What a difference!!! The transmission no longer hunts for gears, instead it is prompt and assertive!!! The whole thing was covered under my powertrain warranty since my 16 has 50k. I would highly recommend if you rx is having similar transmission issues.
The following users liked this post:
mtsunshine (12-12-21)
Old 12-12-21, 08:18 AM
eddie420

Received 631 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by socaligs
Love my rx350 but hate the lethargic transmission. Recently took it to my dealership to seek some type of remedy and was told that my transmission needed an update. What a difference!!! The transmission no longer hunts for gears, instead it is prompt and assertive!!! The whole thing was covered under my powertrain warranty since my 16 has 50k. I would highly recommend if you rx is having similar transmission issues.
When they update the ECU, it is my understanding that it resets your driving behavior. In a few weeks, you'll start noticing the same lethargy you speak of. Resetting the ECU is only a temporary solution, unfortunately.
Old 12-12-21, 10:08 AM
socaligs
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
When they update the ECU, it is my understanding that it resets your driving behavior. In a few weeks, you'll start noticing the same lethargy you speak of. Resetting the ECU is only a temporary solution, unfortunately.

that's unfortunate even after the dealership reprogrammed the ECU. Is there any permanent solution?
Old 12-12-21, 10:58 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I had the ECU update 2 or 3 years ago and 85 to 90% of the hesitation went away and stayed away. Maybe it hasn't yet figured out my non-linear driving behavior.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nail34:
rxtimes2 (12-13-21), socaligs (12-12-21)
Old 12-12-21, 04:49 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by socaligs
that's unfortunate even after the dealership reprogrammed the ECU. Is there any permanent solution?
Trading it is the only solution that I know of. Unfortunately, Toyota doesn’t think it’s a problem.
Old 12-16-21, 11:02 AM
MLightfoot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What's wrong with my pretty car?

I just purchased a 2016 RX 350. IMMACULATE. The most beautiful car I've ever owned. The only other luxury vehicle I've ever owned was an Infiniti, which drove like velvet. I touched the gas and was smooth acceleration. YES, I test drove the RX 350. Yes, I am a woman and was not paying attention to the acceleration. It's my fault, so let's get that out of the way now. The best way I can describe the RX350 is unpredictable acceleration. Doesn't matter whether I'm in ECO or SPORT, it is sputtery. NOT to the point of OMG my car is about to break down, just OMG this is so annoying. I brought the car back to the dealership (Lexus in Baton Rouge) and they checked the car over and assured me nothing was wrong with the car and that it probably needed a "reset" since it was not used to me, the new driver. I scratched my head, squinted my eyes and said, uh, ok. They said they "reset" the car and it should be "used" to me in about 200 miles. Well, it must hate me. Honestly, I hate it back. I paid about $5K more than I should have because...there are just no cars out there right now...and feel like I got screwed. Is this NORMAL for a Lexus? Am I being ridiculous? I'll just go back to my Honda Accord with 150K miles on it if this is luxury.
Old 12-16-21, 11:13 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

The ecu will have to learn your driving pattern and will adjust. Give it a little time and a couple hundred miles and see if it gets better.
Old 12-16-21, 12:54 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Normal: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ost-159-a.html
Old 04-01-22, 05:03 PM
RXman4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious if the reset ultimately helped in anyway. I'm in the same boat as you with my used 2017. The shifting up and down looking for the right gear makes me want to trade it after only 7 months. I like pretty much everything else about it but its driving me crazy.
Old 04-01-22, 05:42 PM
Rigatony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 11 months of frustration, I sold the car. I ended up buying a Rav 4 Prime. The ironic thing is the finance manger at the Toyota dealership has a Lexus with the same issues
Old 04-01-22, 06:45 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RXman4me
Curious if the reset ultimately helped in anyway. I'm in the same boat as you with my used 2017. The shifting up and down looking for the right gear makes me want to trade it after only 7 months. I like pretty much everything else about it but its driving me crazy.
I don't know where you are with researching this issue. Have you had the TSB done to update the software AND confirmed that it was done correctly AND that the correct software number comes up as the current one?
Old 04-01-22, 07:35 PM
RXman4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
I don't know where you are with researching this issue. Have you had the TSB done to update the software AND confirmed that it was done correctly AND that the correct software number comes up as the current one?
I haven't done anything - just inquiring if those who had recently done some type of reset were satisfied with their results and if their dealers charged them to do it. Based on reading through many pages of this thread and responses to a review thread I posted, the results are a mixed bag at best. I realize no car is perfect, (although I would state without hesitation that my old Infiniti M35 - it was a 2007 and even then had features that most cars don't have today - including the RX, was damn close) so I can either live with it or move on to something else. I'm torn because of the known reliability and quiet ride it offers.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)