RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 11:01 AM
pkenney
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by dibl
No. I understand they have changed the transmission software to move shift points higher, but on 2016-2019, the shift points are very low and the transmission will "hunt" for the correct gear at times. It feels like the engine is momentarily losing power, in some slow-speed scenarios. I'm not sure about the 2020.
I just bought a 2022 RX350L and it does this. 485 miles on it. It’s driving me insane.
Old 08-23-22, 12:34 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by pkenney
I just bought a 2022 RX350L and it does this. 485 miles on it. It’s driving me insane.
Take it back & demand that they reprogram the transmission or get your money back. I had two loaners like that & there is no way I would put up with that garbage from a car of this caliber. I’ve seen better shifting Hyundais.
Old 08-23-22, 12:34 PM
GXGSAm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rough Shifting? Oil too low!

You can do it yourself! Drain the oil after work/at night. Wait the next day, for the oil to properly cool down. Next step, measure the drained oil. Here’s the deal, if you measured less than 3 quartz, your oil may be low.
What to do next would be to fill the RX transmission between 3.2 to 3.5 quarts. Based on my own experience after a few trial and error, this is level of oil is the sweet spot. I’ve tried different methods to measuring oil level on my RX, like the bumper method and IR temp sensor method on different parts of the bottom of the transmission. In the end, because of software programming to maximize fuel economy, the shifting will be as described earlier by others - shift points are always at very low RPM. If you have the right oil level though, the gear hunting will be gone, just learn to press the pedal more
steady down pressure if you’re accelerating. Stop babying the accelerator, this RX needs to be driven withe more pedal push most of the time, until your speed is more then 45mph once in the freeway. Hesitation with pedal push, causes transmission hesitation also. One last thing, if you put too much oil, the acceleration will be sluggish, but shifting is fine. When this happened to me, knowing I put more than before,
I ended up warming the engine to operating temp and drained some oil. So far so good for me.
Old 08-23-22, 03:26 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by pkenney
Just ask them at the first service to apply the TSB to change the mapping of the transmission.
Old 09-18-22, 08:14 AM
Montedino
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 Lexus RX-350 Surging/Hesitation

Originally Posted by Larryu
What I don't understand is when my dealer loaned me a 2015 RX 350 it was powerful, quick and solid acceleration I never had any hesitation. Then I got my 2016 back and it has the hesitation. It seems they need to work the "bugs" out of the 2016.
In April 2022, I bought a 2017 Lexus RX 350 from a Lexus dealership. It was certified preowned with only 32,000 miles on it. I’ve brought the car into the dealership twice to complain about the surging and hesitation issues. In the first visit the dealer claim to have performed a software update. Subsequently the car drove great for around a week or two. I didn’t notice at the time whether the dealership filled up the gas tank. However the problem quickly returned.

In the second visit, the dealer stated that all of this make and model cars have this issue. And that I need to use only premium fuel going forward. They stated that they fill all of their loaner cars and all of their used cars with only premium gas because of this issue.

I complained that I specifically bought this car because the dealer told me at the time I purchased it that it’s rated for regular gas. And that I didn’t want to buy a car, while gas was at six dollars per gallon here in New Jersey, that requires premium fuel! However the dealer said that there was nothing else that they could do.

Subsequently I did fill up the car with premium gas. And that did resolve the issue, for the most part it’s much better. I’m glad because I was going to have to sell the car if the surging and hesitation continued.
Old 09-18-22, 04:22 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Montedino
In April 2022, I bought a 2017 Lexus RX 350 from a Lexus dealership. It was certified preowned with only 32,000 miles on it. I’ve brought the car into the dealership twice to complain about the surging and hesitation issues. In the first visit the dealer claim to have performed a software update. Subsequently the car drove great for around a week or two. I didn’t notice at the time whether the dealership filled up the gas tank. However the problem quickly returned.

In the second visit, the dealer stated that all of this make and model cars have this issue. And that I need to use only premium fuel going forward. They stated that they fill all of their loaner cars and all of their used cars with only premium gas because of this issue.

I complained that I specifically bought this car because the dealer told me at the time I purchased it that it’s rated for regular gas. And that I didn’t want to buy a car, while gas was at six dollars per gallon here in New Jersey, that requires premium fuel! However the dealer said that there was nothing else that they could do.

Subsequently I did fill up the car with premium gas. And that did resolve the issue, for the most part it’s much better. I’m glad because I was going to have to sell the car if the surging and hesitation continued.
I’m curious as to why premium fuel stops the surging & hesitation. Most other vehicles will knock & ping or just be a little sluggish. Did this dealer explain why premium fuel stops the surge & hesitation? Is there a TSB (technical service bulletin) from Lexus? I had a RX-350 as a loaner & it was horrible, but it was clear that it was a transmission issue. It already had premium fuel in it & I also put some in it, so that didn’t change it for me…
Old 09-18-22, 04:27 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Sounds like an issue with the salesman. It IS rated for regular, meaning the car can be driven safely on regular without damage and a lot of people who buy this car drive conservatively and don't find a problem with how it drives. But if you drive harder/faster and/or are in hillier/congested type areas you'll notice how it changes up gear sooner than you'd like. Here in Australia Lexus recommends to use mid tier premium fuel so the hesitation is reduced, it's still there but in level, slower driving it's totally disappears. I know in the States there's a high importance put on fuel consumption so Lexus made the RX to use regular to keep costs down but we aren't as concerned, generally, about the costs when buying cars.
Old 09-18-22, 06:38 PM
Montedino
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I’m curious as to why premium fuel stops the surging & hesitation. Most other vehicles will knock & ping or just be a little sluggish. Did this dealer explain why premium fuel stops the surge & hesitation? Is there a TSB (technical service bulletin) from Lexus? I had a RX-350 as a loaner & it was horrible, but it was clear that it was a transmission issue. It already had premium fuel in it & I also put some in it, so that didn’t change it for me…
No. the service department did not explain why they beleive premium fuel solves the problem. Frankly, I was skeptical and thought I’d better leave before I said something I may regret. Also, as the two loaners I’d had ran strong, I thought I’d try premium just to prove the dealer wrong.

However, it proved them…right. Haha go figure. I must say I was surprised. The car now runs GREAT! The difference is like night and day.

When I go back I’m going to ask them what the story with premium is and also whether they rebooted the car after having done the software update. I read on here that they have to disconnect power after doing the update? So, yeah. Whatever. The price of gas is down, so good.

Anyway, I’ll let everyone here know what I find out after I speak with the dealer again.
The following users liked this post:
Mikes94GS3 (09-19-22)
Old 09-18-22, 09:10 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

No. the service department did not explain why they beleive premium fuel solves the problem. Frankly, I was skeptical and thought I’d better leave before I said something I may regret. Also, as the two loaners I’d had ran strong, I thought I’d try premium just to prove the dealer wrong.

However, it proved them…right. Haha go figure. I must say I was surprised. The car now runs GREAT! The difference is like night and day.

When I go back I’m going to ask them what the story with premium is and also whether they rebooted the car after having done the software update. I read on here that they have to disconnect power after doing the update? So, yeah. Whatever. The price of gas is down, so good.

Anyway, I’ll let everyone here know what I find out after I speak with the dealer again.
Yes, there were examples on here of people who had the update done but the dealer did not reset the system as they should, a bit like restarting a PC after an update.
There are numerous people saying the fuel won't make a difference but I know it does, seems you have proven to yourself also. In my case in Australia as we use mid tier premium I can use the top tier premium and the car feels even better.
The following users liked this post:
Mikes94GS3 (09-19-22)
Old 09-19-22, 08:29 AM
Montedino
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Yes, there were examples on here of people who had the update done but the dealer did not reset the system as they should, a bit like restarting a PC after an update.
There are numerous people saying the fuel won't make a difference but I know it does, seems you have proven to yourself also. In my case in Australia as we use mid tier premium I can use the top tier premium and the car feels even better.
Thanks for letting me know. I will try mid tier premium next. That would save me a few bucks vs. top tier. I’ll report back. Cheers!
Old 09-21-22, 01:57 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

My 2016 did the same thing, worst shift points, hesitation, all over the map, jerky pos. TSB did not help, sold it after the third cup of coffee on wife's lap. Sad to hear that in 2021 it's still not corrected.
Old 09-22-22, 07:41 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts

got the TSB and its still a bit jerky in regular mode. however once you switch it to eco, its pretty smooth. Smooth enough that it doesnt bother me or the wife anymore.

Actually sports mode is pretty smooth too, only regular mode sucks. it seems the transmission cant make it ups mind on what gear it wants to be in.
Old 12-21-22, 04:39 AM
longcommut
1st Gear

Hi pkenney, I purchased a 2022 RX350 in June and have similar issues to yours. Did you ever get a resolution to your transmission/acceleration issues?
Old 03-16-23, 01:42 PM
kairatline
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
I've had my 2017 RX-350 f-Sport w/16,200 miles for 14 months and each time I bring it in for servicing I tell them they need to fix the hesitation issues. The first time they said they did a Flash back/re-flash and I thought I saw a difference. The 2nd time I brought it in I told them to do it again b/c it still hesitates and I'm having to drive in Sport mode all the time b/c that's where I feel less hesitation and I feel safer. Eco or Normal mode there is way too much hesitation. The same technician that worked on it the first time said it was due to the way I drive. Said I needed to give it more gas at take off or when passing etc. So I left it alone and thought I'd watch the way I drive. Still driving like I have been for 40+ years and it still hesitates. So I brought it back Friday and said you have to do something about this vehicle it continues to hesitate when I take off from a stop light or sign and/or when I try to merge into Interstate/Freeway traffic and still having to drive in Sport mode and spending/wasting a ton of gas & money. They gave me a loaner, 2017 RX-350 Luxury model and this vehicle drives like a dream. It's in Eco mode and I'm telling you this car doesn't know what hesitation is b/c when you are sitting at a light, it's raring to roll. I'm serious, it's fantastic!! I sent a text message to my check-in representative and said this is how my car needs to ride. It's hard to believe the difference. Not sure when I'll get my vehicle but she said they will def keep through today which is Monday. I asked for another reset but don't know if that will help but I can't believe the difference of these two vehicles in the way they drive. The luxury model drives better in ECO mode than my f-Sport model in Sport mode.
Hello! How did you solve the problem with hesitation of Lexus RX350? My one is RX350(2020) and I have the same issue. Appreciate your help, thanks! I would take in account any advice, and any help of other also! Have a good day everyone.

My email in any case: kairatline@mail.ru
Old 03-16-23, 02:54 PM
Speck
10th Gear

Check the octane used. My hesitation improved with premium gas. I’m not going to spend more on premium so I’m just living with it.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)