RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-17, 12:16 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the TSB updated today and noticed that now the transmission is more like in sport mode. It shifts faster at low speed but not really in 4th or 5th gear. I feel like my RX is shifting more like a sport car now than ever but my daily driver is a GX. Not sure if that's a good thing. Anybody feeling the same thing after the update?
Old 03-10-17, 12:22 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Yes night and day different.

If the shifts are a little too tight, you can always try eco...
Old 03-10-17, 01:51 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by clickart
Got the TSB updated today and noticed that now the transmission is more like in sport mode. It shifts faster at low speed but not really in 4th or 5th gear. I feel like my RX is shifting more like a sport car now than ever but my daily driver is a GX. Not sure if that's a good thing. Anybody feeling the same thing after the update?
I agree, the problem is that going around a corner and accelerating lightly or in my case normally the shift into 5th gear still
happens to early dropping the RPMs to low causing the drone and almost feels like the motor is lugging until I press the accelerator
and wait for the down****. The one thing I was hoping the TSB would have addressed did nothing. If they would have programmed it
correctly it would have also corrected most of the drone. Lexus dropped the ball again.
Old 03-10-17, 06:12 PM
Louay1978
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not think there is a way to get ride of the drone other than redesigning the exhaust system or driving the car in manual mode and keeping the engin RPMs above 1500. Now on that note I spotted a new 2017 Highlander at a local gas station today, so I approached the owner and asked him if he is having any smiler issues like ours? His answer was yes in terms of the hesitation and the quick shifting however no droning at HWY speeds or city driving, which make sense because the Highlander has a different muffler (smaller) and pipping between the resonator and muffler.
Old 03-10-17, 08:02 PM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Louay1978
Hi,

The Tech must do a system reset. (disconnect the battery negative terminal for about 10 min).
Reset after they apply the update? Also, would it cause all the personal settings to get lost?
Old 03-11-17, 06:23 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by javapro
Reset after they apply the update? Also, would it cause all the personal settings to get lost?
No, but I checked mine anyway.

Radio had defaulted to dealer settings, but a quick tab to personal settings fixed that. Check rear tailgate if you had personal setting, mine didn't change. Other than the radio default, I did not find anything changed.
Old 03-11-17, 08:14 AM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by FastFord
No, but I checked mine anyway.

Radio had defaulted to dealer settings, but a quick tab to personal settings fixed that. Check rear tailgate if you had personal setting, mine didn't change. Other than the radio default, I did not find anything changed.
What do you mean by "a quick tab to personal settings"? Also, do you know if they need to reset by disconnecting the battery after they apply the update?
Old 03-12-17, 11:09 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by javapro
What do you mean by "a quick tab to personal settings"? Also, do you know if they need to reset by disconnecting the battery after they apply the update?
When I got the car back the radio settings seemed to be gone...they weren't. It had defaulted to "mixed presets"....I had it on "individual presets", so it was just a push on the mixed presets to get it back to individual presets. You might not have it set-up the same way, so maybe you won't notice any difference...
Old 03-12-17, 11:10 AM
FastFord
Racer

Yes they are to disconnect the battery after the install.
Old 03-13-17, 06:02 AM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by FastFord
Yes they are to disconnect the battery after the install.
Thank you for all your replies
Old 03-13-17, 06:14 AM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I had mine done on Friday and it was much worse. Saturday I reset the ECU by unplugging the battery, since then it seems better but I wouldn't say great. In sport mode it is much more aggressive. For those in the know, do you think the reprogramming took when I reset the ECU. I am going to drive for a while, but I wonder if it need to go back to dealer. Is there any way to check to see if it was done correctly.
Old 03-13-17, 07:18 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by bdspilot
I had mine done on Friday and it was much worse. Saturday I reset the ECU by unplugging the battery, since then it seems better but I wouldn't say great. In sport mode it is much more aggressive. For those in the know, do you think the reprogramming took when I reset the ECU. I am going to drive for a while, but I wonder if it need to go back to dealer. Is there any way to check to see if it was done correctly.
If the problem is worse, sounds like something went wrong.

Some people say they don't notice a difference. Maybe they had a different software load than others....I really don't know if there are updates from build dates.

Mine was very bad, even a novice driver would know that something wasn't right with the shifting, especially at slow speeds then light acceleration.

My fix did not get installed properly due to some missing info, no big deal, they did it again and it worked. Mine was much worse after the original install, but much better after the second. They did not disconnect the battery after the first install and the tranny would rev very high before shifting to the next gear, it seemed lost as to when it should shift.

Properly installed shifts are crisp, you notice and can feel it downshifting as you slow to a stop. The car is engaged and ready to accelerate almost always. Not wishy washy herky jerky all over the place, as it was before.

Take it back, make sure they install the correct TSB for your car, I think there are a few loads depending on your model...check the posted tsb further up in this thread. Then make sure they disconnect the battery for some period of time. All should be good after that.

Good luck, it's worth the time to have it done right.
Old 03-13-17, 07:53 AM
sydv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, question to all who applied the update. Did you notice any MPG changes after that?

Last edited by sydv; 03-13-17 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 08:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by sydv
Hi, question to all who applied the update. Did you notices any MPG changes after that?
Yes, down a little bit 1-2 mpg...however, it's been very cold here lately so the car is idling more than usual.
The following users liked this post:
sydv (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 10:54 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sydv
Hi, question to all who applied the update. Did you notice any MPG changes after that?
Nope, it's same.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)