RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 03:58 PM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
The Tech must do a system reset. (disconnect the battery negative terminal for about 10 min).
Why does the tech have to do it? Why can't you do it when you get home if they forget?
Old 03-18-17, 05:51 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by bdspilot
Why does the tech have to do it? Why can't you do it when you get home if they forget?
The Mechanic should do it to make sure everything works and you don't have another visit to the dealer. I suppose if things are missing like sport + and customize, plus runs poorly, you have nothing to lose by pulling the negative lead on the battery.
Old 03-18-17, 01:26 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same issue with mine, no sports + or customization screen...plus it ran like #$%...If I knew I had to disconnect the battery I would have done that myself. I believe you disconnect the negative terminal..Check further up in this post to make sure...someone posted the correct terminal.
It doesn't matter which battery terminal you disconnect. It is just safer to disconnect the negative terminal in case your wrench contacts car body.
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (03-19-17)
Old 03-20-17, 06:02 AM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Brought my car to the dealership for it's first 5k miles and while there I requested they fix the hesitation issue. They must have applied the TSB and my car is working better but I don't know if they disconnected the battery. My car still hesitates a tiny bit but the pick up is much better and seems to drive better than ever. Never had a vehicle handle poorly like this one has these past few months.
Old 03-20-17, 09:33 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
Brought my car to the dealership for it's first 5k miles and while there I requested they fix the hesitation issue. They must have applied the TSB and my car is working better but I don't know if they disconnected the battery. My car still hesitates a tiny bit but the pick up is much better and seems to drive better than ever. Never had a vehicle handle poorly like this one has these past few months.
Mine is the same way not perfect but at least 90% better. I think you would know if they made a mistake. Do you still have sport + and customize options? If you do, and you can now feel it downshifting, and much less hesitation...I think you're good to go!
Old 03-20-17, 06:25 PM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Mine is the same way not perfect but at least 90% better. I think you would know if they made a mistake. Do you still have sport + and customize options? If you do, and you can now feel it downshifting, and much less hesitation...I think you're good to go!
Okay do you mean my preset stations when you ask "Do you still have sport + and customize options?" Not sure what you're referring to or what to look for? I've been paying so much attention to the hesitation I've not noticed if I feel it downshifting or not. It does have less hesitation but today when I drove it I felt more hesitation than the weekend. But the pick up is much better. I feel a bit safer pulling onto the highway now rather than waiting for all cars to pass then pulling out into the road.
Old 03-20-17, 06:46 PM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
Okay do you mean my preset stations when you ask "Do you still have sport + and customize options?" Not sure what you're referring to or what to look for? I've been paying so much attention to the hesitation I've not noticed if I feel it downshifting or not. It does have less hesitation but today when I drove it I felt more hesitation than the weekend. But the pick up is much better. I feel a bit safer pulling onto the highway now rather than waiting for all cars to pass then pulling out into the road.
I read back and found a previous post where you mentioned not losing any of your customized options, ie, back door, side mirrors etc., no I never lost any of my customized settings. I'm going to call the mechanic that worked on it and ask him if he updated my car with the latest update and disconnected the battery. I have a feeling he may not have done the battery disconnect. Thanks!
Old 03-20-17, 07:02 PM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Unhappy

This is driving me crazy...I decided to check my invoice (had a brain storm) and low and behold it says the tech did a "Reflash on Transmission" for hesitation concern. That's not the TSB fix, right?
Old 03-21-17, 05:17 AM
kalvink
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

The TSB is a reflash of the transmission shift points onto the ECM. I was told by the Service Mgr that it is specifically 3rd and 4th gear that causes the majority of the problems, but the whole shift map is redone from what he said.
Old 03-21-17, 06:46 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked the new car over the weekend.. looks like it may have the hesitation issue too,should I wait till 5K service or should I get it reflashed ASAP? Any suggestions?
Old 03-21-17, 06:49 AM
kalvink
Driver

There is a VIN number interval in the TSB report that will let you know if your car is affected by the hesitation issue, you can double check your car. It affects 2016 and some 2017 models.

The 8 speed transmission for fuel economy reasons is the major reason why there will always be hesitation sometimes. I and other family members have had these types of issues with vehicles with more than 6 speed transmissions.
Old 03-21-17, 07:00 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by kalvink
There is a VIN number interval in the TSB report that will let you know if your car is affected by the hesitation issue, you can double check your car. It affects 2016 and some 2017 models.

The 8 speed transmission for fuel economy reasons is the major reason why there will always be hesitation sometimes. I and other family members have had these types of issues with vehicles with more than 6 speed transmissions.
Thanks and appreciate the input, looks like my VIN is not impacted (post TSB VIN as per the TSB bulletin) but still hesitation issues are there during certain speed/gear shifts.
Old 03-21-17, 10:15 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, after a week of driving with the TSB, I still stand by my 80% improvement rating. The throttle response is definitely better, but there is still some hesitation at certain speeds. I can't quite pinpoint it, but it just doesn't feel completely smooth or refined. An additional downside that has becoming more apparent is that since the transmission now spends more time in 1500-2000 rpm range, the exhaust droning is more noticeable.
Old 03-21-17, 12:52 PM
17RX350F
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am now worried this may be an issue on my new 17 RX350 F-Sport. I downloaded the Canada TSB that another user posted a few pages back but is the US one different?

See attached, this one shows a VIN number but another user mentioned a range. How do I tell if my VIN is affected? Sorry this is semi-new to me for recalls and was not sure of the process. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)-tsb-hesitation-vin.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 03-21-17, 01:20 PM
kalvink
Driver

Hey 17RX350F, if you look at the last six digits, if it is before that number for the F sport (I assume you have that version with your username), then it is affected by the TSB. My 2016 RX F was 05xxxx so it was before the 060921 VIN cut off.
The following users liked this post:
17RX350F (03-21-17)

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)