RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 08:05 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

Interesting. I had a similar issue with my 2010. I always try to avoid the first year of a car, but the timing was wrong. No droning, but occasionally I would need to merge or make a turn into traffic, mat the throttle, and get absolutely nothing. Between that and the lazy, easily confused transmission (I really don't drive in a manner an RX is intended), I didn't want another one of that generation. I was considering a newer one, but if those issues have carried over, I might be better off in a CPO GS AWD.
Old 04-11-17, 10:02 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Has anyone with a F sport had the ECU update done? Are your Sport + and customizing drive settings still there?

My Sport + and customization have disappeared. Looks like they appointed the regular RX program to the F sport.
Sounds like what happened to me. Try disconnecting the battery to see if it comes back. I took mine back to the dealer when I discovered this. If I knew all you had to do is disconnect the battery I would have done it myself. By the way, the hesitation problem has not been fixed either. Wait till it revs up to 2800 and won't change gears...That's when I knew something wasn't right.
Old 04-11-17, 10:05 AM
FastFord
Racer

Apparently the instruction don't say to do the battery. However, any software upgrade requires a reboot. Yes they should just know this!
Old 04-11-17, 12:11 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by PCW
Lexus Technical Service Bulletin number L-SB-0109-17 is now available from Lexus. I had it uploaded into my 2016 RX350's computer today and the transmission hesitation is now gone and the shifting is so much smoother. The 8 speed now shifts like it should have from the beginning. The senior Tech at my local dealer said it was finally approved by the EPA this week.
Must be what they installed when they said they did a firmware update. More responsive that before.
Old 04-17-17, 08:08 AM
freshwater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I look at the TSB and my 2017 RX350 did not fall under the VIN# mention on the TSB. I been using Regular since I got the Car in Nov 2016 (current miles ~5k). Last 2 fill ups I decided to put Shell 91 and can see a marked improvement in the hesitation and knocking.
I am due for an oil change in few weeks I will ask the service advisor abut this TSB and should I get it done even though my VIN# dosent fall under the mentioned range of VIN#s.
Old 04-17-17, 10:21 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I dont understand why you need to disconnect the battery. I use to load different tunes in my Challenger all the time.
It would just overwrite the existing tune. The eproms In these cars are fully erasable and can be written over
many times. All their really doing is loading different parameters in the TCM. Should not require a battery disconnect.
Old 04-17-17, 12:30 PM
qubit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MPG after TSB?

Hi Guys. My 2017 RX comes with the TSB applied. However, my MPG is terrible. Lexus says i should be getting 12.2 l/100 in city and 8.9 l/100 on hwy. I am getting 14.5 in city (driving in eco with a light foot). A friend of mine has the RX and without the TSB, he is getting the advertised MPG. I understand that driving habits matter a lot and all i can say is that i used to drive the ES 300H before and have managed to get 5.5 l/100 - so yes, am light footed most of the time.

I am wondering if anyone who has applied the TSB is noticing changes to their MPG?
Old 04-17-17, 01:11 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by qubit
Hi Guys. My 2017 RX comes with the TSB applied. However, my MPG is terrible. Lexus says i should be getting 12.2 l/100 in city and 8.9 l/100 on hwy. I am getting 14.5 in city (driving in eco with a light foot). A friend of mine has the RX and without the TSB, he is getting the advertised MPG. I understand that driving habits matter a lot and all i can say is that i used to drive the ES 300H before and have managed to get 5.5 l/100 - so yes, am light footed most of the time.

I am wondering if anyone who has applied the TSB is noticing changes to their MPG?
Not sure if the TSB would matter. My 2016 falls in the TSB range, but I haven't gotten around to getting the TSB applied. My mileage in strictly city driving is just as bad as yours. Idling and hills are a killer for the mileage. I did notice that mileage varies quite a bit depending on the type of gas I use though. I usually alternate between Chevron, Shell and Costco (mostly 91, with the occasional dip to 87 just to test things out), and notice that Chevron 87 will give me mid 14's; Chevron 91 does low 14s; while Shell and Costco gas gives me low to mid 13s. Same driving route most weeks.

I'm beginning to really regret not getting the Hybrid. Had a loaner CT200h the other day (I know, different car) and on the same daily route I would take with my RX, I was probably doing 3L/100km, while my car is happily chugging 13L/100km...
Old 04-17-17, 03:18 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Sounds about right to me. I probably get the same city driving and high twentys on the highway.
For me it averages out to about 21mpg. It is a heavy vehicle.
Old 04-17-17, 06:09 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I dont understand why you need to disconnect the battery. I use to load different tunes in my Challenger all the time.
It would just overwrite the existing tune. The eproms In these cars are fully erasable and can be written over
many times. All their really doing is loading different parameters in the TCM. Should not require a battery disconnect.
not sure why Lexus requires it but it does. Unless you like not having your sport and sport + modes working.
Old 04-19-17, 05:36 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by s4iscool
not sure why Lexus requires it but it does. Unless you like not having your sport and sport + modes working.
And the custom mode disappears completely.
Old 04-19-17, 09:53 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What infuriates me the most is hat Lexus knows that there is an issue because the later 2017 models do not do this as consistently as 2016s. Clearly something has changed and the TSB was an attempt to fix the issue but it's not a complete fix. So what is it Lexus, software or hardware or both? No one should let Lexus and its dealers off the hook.
Old 04-19-17, 12:16 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I dont know why they just didn't leave the 6 speed Auto in there. I have been driving mine exclusively in manual and hold each gear out to about 2500 rpm's and keep the rpms around 2k. That way Im never in the 1500 rpm range where I get some vibration. It performs so much better and never drones and no hesitation. Now For the interesting part, gas mileage, I have seen little to know difference. Still getting around 21mpg in mixed driving. Im pretty sure this is the way I will need to drive it for the remainder of the lease. Really don't believe Lexus is going to do anything and driving it in Auto feels like a sluggesh 4cyl. Definitely not what I thought this car would be like. Should have went for a long test drive before my purchase.
Old 04-19-17, 01:02 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 2017 model. The last several digits in my VIN is larger than those in TSB. Does that mean I should have the update already?
Old 04-20-17, 05:19 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 583 Likes on 410 Posts

So, I had the ECU update connected skit a month ago. Right after the update the drone was almost completely gone and the car drives and shifts like it should. The only issue was that my F sport drive modes were gone. Went back to the dealer and they fixed that. But I'm not seeing any more issues after the update, yet. Are you still having issues after the ECU update?

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)