RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 11:27 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Unfortunately ie noticed the dash material to be super sensitive to scratches too...just rubbing a microfiber on the dash, particularly right in front of the passenger and above the glove box are extremely sensitive. Im very particular about my interiors and someone managed to get a number of marks that do not come off with a damp microfiber, in fact, it can make things worse.
Old 05-30-17, 12:35 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Once the dealer "applies" the tab fix, is there anyway to confirm that they completed the procedure all the way through with a hard reset? So far, I haven't read any posts about anybody saying there is a way to confirm that the TSB has been properly applied except that maybe the shifting still sucks and so they went into the dealer to ask if they did a reset and come to find out they didn't.

I also have this problem and will be bringing it in when the car hits 20k in about 2500 miles. I'll also have them apply the air conditioning gurgle tab as well and also do the rear hatch ecu fix. I will say that the transmission on the RX is definitely the weakest link on this car. The transmission programming is terrible and makes the car really terrible to drive in any kind of gear changing environment. Cruising on the freeway is ok until you need to pass someone. It's not too bad but on the city streets, it's terrible. 8 gears for this car is way too many especially when Lexus programmed it for fuel economy and not drive feel. 6 or 7 gears would have been the best scenario.
Old 05-30-17, 12:42 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 606 Likes on 422 Posts

Mine was pretty much fixed after the update. No complaint anymore. After the Update my F sport stuff were missing. They had to redo the update.
Old 05-31-17, 05:57 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Mine was pretty much fixed after the update. No complaint anymore. After the Update my F sport stuff were missing. They had to redo the update.
Thats interesting because the TSB is not fully applied until the reset is complete. So that is the placebo effect that I experienced. At first, I thought WOW, then after a few days, it was back to crap and also realized I had no sport settings. Had the TSB redone, reset done, and it still stinks.
Old 05-31-17, 08:05 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine seems to get stuck in a gear on the highway... and also at various speeds and I have to push the gas pedal to accelerate forcing it to pushup.. Not sure if you are experiencing this also!
Old 06-01-17, 05:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I was checking out an LX570 the other day. The tranny does the same thing as my RX. I think Lexus has to know and must be working on this 8 speed. Someone dropped the ball when they approved this for installation. As others have said, and I agree the 6 speed was flawless and much more comfortable. I have a good one compared to some and I still would be very cautious for future consideration. That goes for any manufacturer.

When I pointed out the funny shifting to the sales person, they said " I've never heard of that or felt that before. Don't worry we will have it fixed before delivery"
Old 06-07-17, 09:35 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 231 Likes on 181 Posts

Just installed the Apexi Smart Accel Comtroller on my GS350. It really woke up the car and any throttle hesitation is gone. The car also always seems to be in the right gear, or will downshift very quickly into the right gear (sometimes two or three at a time). I wonder if this gadget will really help the RX350...I think it will really address the hesitation that many are complaining about.
Old 06-07-17, 09:38 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

had the tsb applied and cannot tell any improvement...if it did anything, its prety nominal.>oh well...
Old 06-08-17, 05:42 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by mcfancy
had the tsb applied and cannot tell any improvement...if it did anything, its prety nominal.>oh well...
Not sure what model you have...If an F sport make sure that you have the custom mode and Sport +.... I lost those feature due to an installation error.

I'm not sure if you have a tach on your model, but if you do you should feel and see on the tach the downshifting as you slow to a stop. I found the TSB, once installed properly, to be a 90% fix. It still does some strange things and could probably be fine tuned, but it is much better than how it was.

Going around a typical neighborhood corner the car was lost before the tsb. Now it's engaged and ready to accelerate, no hesitation.
Old 06-08-17, 05:47 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I was checking out an LX570 the other day. The tranny does the same thing as my RX. I think Lexus has to know and must be working on this 8 speed. Someone dropped the ball when they approved this for installation. As others have said, and I agree the 6 speed was flawless and much more comfortable. I have a good one compared to some and I still would be very cautious for future consideration. That goes for any manufacturer.

When I pointed out the funny shifting to the sales person, they said " I've never heard of that or felt that before. Don't worry we will have it fixed before delivery"
I recently test drove the GX again which has the 6 speed and it shifted great.. Drove another RX and I didn't like the way the trans felt, unless I was on the pedal all the time it feel like the trans didn't know what to do.

I really wish they would have kept the 8 speed from the 3G RX F Sport. In the 2 1/2 years we had the 2015 I never experienced any type of delay when already moving / up to speed. On occasion there was a very slight hesitation when starting from a dead stop, but while driving I never felt as though the trans was "hunting"..
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (06-08-17)
Old 06-08-17, 05:57 AM
FastFord
Racer

Good info, I didn't know the GX has the 6 speed.....Off for a test drive!
Old 06-12-17, 01:50 PM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Just installed the Apexi Smart Accel Comtroller on my GS350. It really woke up the car and any throttle hesitation is gone. The car also always seems to be in the right gear, or will downshift very quickly into the right gear (sometimes two or three at a time). I wonder if this gadget will really help the RX350...I think it will really address the hesitation that many are complaining about.
Great news!! Did the dealer install this or did you?
Old 06-12-17, 02:33 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Any change in MPG figure?
Old 06-12-17, 07:51 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 231 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
Great news!! Did the dealer install this or did you?
Installed it myself. Very easy; took less than 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by Htony
Any change in MPG figure?
Miles Per Gallon went down slightly but Smiles Per Gallon increased a lot
If I drove it normally or in a lesser mode, mpg would be about the same.
Old 06-13-17, 10:26 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

My dealer installed the LSB update for the hesitation, rough transmission on my 16 RX. The improvement has been dramatic.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)