RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 04:43 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

All he did was acknowledge there was a concern. If you had 3 repair attempts, then it could be up for lemon laws. I did not see a repair attempt there.
Old 08-02-17, 01:34 PM
t2henson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car did not qualify for lemon law under Texas Law. Yes, the FTS acknowledged the problem instead of saying "all RX F Sports due this". He stated for us to use premium fuel to eliminate problem when manual calls for regular fuel only.
If premium fuel fixes the problem Lexus misrepresented vehicles in that they would run properly on regular fuel. I asked this question to Lexus and the dealer.
What I do know is that I would not accept car that was running incorrectly nor should anybody else.
My wife drove the car for over 6 months with us waiting for a fix. Enough was enough.
Old 08-02-17, 03:02 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by t2henson
My car did not qualify for lemon law under Texas Law. Yes, the FTS acknowledged the problem instead of saying "all RX F Sports due this". He stated for us to use premium fuel to eliminate problem when manual calls for regular fuel only.
If premium fuel fixes the problem Lexus misrepresented vehicles in that they would run properly on regular fuel. I asked this question to Lexus and the dealer.
What I do know is that I would not accept car that was running incorrectly nor should anybody else.
My wife drove the car for over 6 months with us waiting for a fix. Enough was enough.
thanks for this info. I'm tired of this as well and I will not accept losing thousands (10k plus) on trying to sell this car.
Old 08-02-17, 05:03 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

I sent Lexus, and the dealer I purchased the RX from, a demand letter for car to be corrected or be purchased back. I gave them 30 days to correct / purchase or be subject to litigation. All correspondence was done via email and certified mail. I had had the car in 3 times for hesitation issues which we documented along with the dealer stating that there was no fix. See attached last service invoice for nail in the coffin on my RX.
I have no problems with my car, but I must admit that is hilarious. More $ for premium fuel and less mpg in sport mode, so you have to spend your money to cover up an admitted Lexus problem. Plus I would not be happy having to drive in sport(+) mode all the time.
Old 08-03-17, 10:32 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Plus I would not be happy having to drive in sport(+) mode all the time.
I absolutely cannot drive the car in normal mode; it must be in Sport or Sport + otherwise the car is too anemic.
Old 08-03-17, 04:24 PM
JCanada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
I absolutely cannot drive the car in normal mode; it must be in Sport or Sport + otherwise the car is too anemic.
I almost always drive in sport in the city. I find the transmission very irritating when it up shifts too early and then downshifts when it bogs down while accelerating. I don't like driving in the city at 1300 rpm.

The programming on the transmission is poor in my opinion.
Old 08-03-17, 08:14 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JCanada
I almost always drive in sport in the city. I find the transmission very irritating when it up shifts too early and then downshifts when it bogs down while accelerating. I don't like driving in the city at 1300 rpm.

The programming on the transmission is poor in my opinion.
that's the exact issue which has not been fixed. I find sport too jumpy and the shift points are still poorly programmed.
Old 08-05-17, 08:40 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
that's the exact issue which has not been fixed. I find sport too jumpy and the shift points are still poorly programmed.
Agreed, thats also the state when I get the most drone and vibration. Sad part is this could easily be corrected.
It's ironic, I traded a Dodge Challenger in for the RX cause I needed an all season vehicle. The programing on that was totally the opposite. The transmission would really hold the shift points out even in normal mode. I don't understand why Lexus didn't program it correctly, even if only in sport mode.
Old 08-05-17, 08:49 AM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lawyer

get a lawyer who is an expert in lemon laws of texas. if he thinks you have a case he wont charge you nothing, he will get paid by the manufacture once the case is settled.
been there and done that, with MB. good luck
Old 08-08-17, 09:38 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 504 Likes on 381 Posts

So it was not fixed, you just bought another new vehicle.

I do not think most here will be excited.
Old 08-09-17, 09:52 AM
kwhoughton
Driver School Candidate

Default 2016 RX Hesitation

Well, I just finished reading all of the comment regarding the "hesitation" issue on the rx350. I purchased my 2016 on 2 November 2015, the day they hit the showroom. This is my 5th Lexus and I have loved the all. However, in January 2016 I took my car into the dealer and complained of the "hesitation" issue which I called a "mis". The dealer couldn't find anything wrong or replicate the problem. I wrote to Toyota and they opened a case. They then notified me that the dealer reported that the transmission was working properly and closed the case. Again, I complained to Toyota USA and they told me to take it back to the dealer and speak with the service manager whom they had contacted an explained the problem. When I arrived at the dealer, the service manager asked if I was using Costco gas, which I was. He told me to switch to a "better" gas and use premium. I did as instructed and nothing changed. I went back to the dealer and told them nothing had changed and they said that Toyota was aware of the issue and were working on a software change that would fix the issue. They said they would let me know when that was available. Again, Toyota closed the case without resolution. After three months, I wrote Toyota again and asked the to reopen a case. (by the way, Toyota won't "reopen" a case once it is closed, they open a "new" one because they only close cases when the issue is resolved). So Toyota told me to go back to the dealer and see it they could replicate the problem. I did that and took their mechanic for a drive and feel the hesitation in 4/5 gear at 2000 RPM/ 40 to 60 MPH. He then hooked up a laptop to the vehicle and drove it. He was able to replicate the hesitation and "flash" it on the computer. He indicated that he didn't know what was wrong but he would send the results to Toyota. A few months later, I was contacted by the dealer and told to bring my vehicle in and they would do a software update on my transmission. Following the update, there was no change. Again, Toyota closed the case. Again, I complained to Toyota USA. They sent me an email and told me to take my vehicle to the dealer and see if they could replicate the problem. I told them that the dealer had done that previously an I was informed that they need to do it again since they had "fixed" the problem with the software update. Again, I took the vehicle to the dealer and they "flashed" the hesitation on the computer three different times. The kept the vehicle for two days and filled the tank with their own gas a drove it to see if their "better" gas would fix the problem. It didn't. I was told that they would let me know. I wasted a few more months without contact. Again I wrote Toyota asking them about a fix. I was called by their agent and told that they had "elevated" the issue to their technical engineers and I would be contacted regarding a fix. I asked the service manage at the dealer if he was aware of the situation and he replied that he was and as soon as the technical/engineers came up with a fix. Again, nothing.

Yesterday, I was contacted by Toyota and was told that my vehicle was operating as designed and nothing needed to be fixed. My hesitation was "normal". They indicated that they had "noted" my issue and as software updates came about, they would contact me. Case closed!!. I asked if my situation was normal and per design, would a RX that doesn't hesitate be "out of design?". They didn't know the answer. Good luck everyone
Old 08-09-17, 02:35 PM
kwhoughton
Driver School Candidate

Default Hesitation (miss) 2016 RX350

After a year and a half and 5 cases opened with Lexus Customer "Service" seven trips to the dealer, Lexus has just informed me that my Lexus is running properly according to design. My vehicle continues to :"hesitate" (dealers words) in 4/5th gear while accelerating from a stop. The dealer replicated this hesitation and has "flashed" this anomaly (my choice of words) on their computer and provided it to Toyota Engineering. Now, after they downloaded new software to the transmission, told me to run premium gas in the vehicle, they have decided that this "hesitation" is normal and will leave it that way unless they come up with something in the future to eliminate it. I presume that a 2016 RX350 that DOES NOT hesitate is therefore NOT normal. I wonder what Lexus would do if someone brought in their RX and asked them to make it hesitate so it would be like they designed it to be.

Five Lexus' since 2002. 3 RX's and 2 ES350's. Never had this problem until the "new and improved" 8 speed transmission. Might be my last Lexus.
Old 08-09-17, 04:39 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow! I was planning on buying a 2018 RX! Maybe by then it might be fixed, I hope.
Old 08-10-17, 05:03 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhoughton
After a year and a half and 5 cases opened with Lexus Customer "Service" seven trips to the dealer, Lexus has just informed me that my Lexus is running properly according to design. My vehicle continues to :"hesitate" (dealers words) in 4/5th gear while accelerating from a stop. The dealer replicated this hesitation and has "flashed" this anomaly (my choice of words) on their computer and provided it to Toyota Engineering. Now, after they downloaded new software to the transmission, told me to run premium gas in the vehicle, they have decided that this "hesitation" is normal and will leave it that way unless they come up with something in the future to eliminate it. I presume that a 2016 RX350 that DOES NOT hesitate is therefore NOT normal. I wonder what Lexus would do if someone brought in their RX and asked them to make it hesitate so it would be like they designed it to be.

Five Lexus' since 2002. 3 RX's and 2 ES350's. Never had this problem until the "new and improved" 8 speed transmission. Might be my last Lexus.
I got the same story with vibration and exhaust drone. Dealer says its normal. So I guess the ones that dont have it aren't normal. Maybe they should bring them in and have the vibration and drone added so there acting normal..Lol.
Old 08-15-17, 10:51 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just took the car in for service and reported the hesitation problem. Talked to lead tech and he said there is a TSB to address that. Got the car back today and issue seems to be gone now!!! Very happy.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)