RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 06:25 AM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Richstang
Just took the car in for service and reported the hesitation problem. Talked to lead tech and he said there is a TSB to address that. Got the car back today and issue seems to be gone now!!! Very happy.

:Please post the TSB number that the tech installed on your vehicle. It should be stated on your service order. Mine did not work after the transmission flash TSB was installed.
Glad to hear yours works great but it may be a different TSB that the transmission flash. Thanks.
Old 08-17-17, 06:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Yup, I think there are two of them. I'll go dig it up but the dealer should know which one to install based on your vehicle. Of course my dealer put the wrong one in and then did not do a battery reset. Lost sport+ and custom modes (if you have them). OK after re-install.
Old 08-17-17, 06:38 AM
FastFord
Racer

Parts information

WMI..........2T2
Drivetrain...4WD
NON F sport previous part numbers are 89661-0E810 and 89661-0E811 New Part Number...89661-0E812
F sport previous part numbers are 89661-0E770 and 89661-0E771 New part number...89661-0E772

This is the info I have and was done to my vehicle......make sure that these numbers have not changed for some reason.

Also ensure that these are Lexus USA as I am in Canada. I doubt the part numbers are different, but the TSB has a different number
Old 08-17-17, 07:34 AM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Parts information

WMI..........2T2
Drivetrain...4WD
NON F sport previous part numbers are 89661-0E810 and 89661-0E811 New Part Number...89661-0E812
F sport previous part numbers are 89661-0E770 and 89661-0E771 New part number...89661-0E772

This is the info I have and was done to my vehicle......make sure that these numbers have not changed for some reason.

Also ensure that these are Lexus USA as I am in Canada. I doubt the part numbers are different, but the TSB has a different number
So, is there a new TSB out for the hesitation problem? I had the TSB L-SB-0109-17 (that's a US version) applied back in May and although it seemed to almost resolve the issue, the problem came back after a couple of weeks.
Old 08-17-17, 08:06 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by javapro
So, is there a new TSB out for the hesitation problem? I had the TSB L-SB-0109-17 (that's a US version) applied back in May and although it seemed to almost resolve the issue, the problem came back after a couple of weeks.
Not that I am aware of, but donmatt asked for the TSB and I gave them a little more info than just the TSB number. Thanks for providing it. I think it's also posted in the header, or directs you there.
Old 08-17-17, 08:37 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donmatt
:Please post the TSB number that the tech installed on your vehicle. It should be stated on your service order. Mine did not work after the transmission flash TSB was installed.
Glad to hear yours works great but it may be a different TSB that the transmission flash. Thanks.

TSB number is TSB L-SB-0109-17.
Old 08-17-17, 01:35 PM
donmatt
Driver

Originally Posted by Richstang
TSB number is TSB L-SB-0109-17.
Richstang, Thanks for the info. That is the same TSB that was installed on mine. It worked very good for a couple of months but then begin to hesitate again. Dealer stated there wasn't anything else they could do at this time. However, they were exspecting Lexus to come up with something new. Ha what a joke. My next comment is ridiculous but here goes so don't everyone jump on me. I filled my vehicle up with shell premium gas and the hesitation disappeared. I could not believe it and still am confused but it happened. Don't understand why but it worked. May start again but this tank is wonderful. Will try one more with premium and check it out. Now, folks don't light up my computer. I may be old but sane. There is no reason for this to happen in my opinion but it has in reality.. I have no further explanation.
Old 08-17-17, 01:54 PM
FastFord
Racer

I keep in touch with Lexus about the fix, or lack of a good fix. I have not heard anything yet and sent them a request for an update today.

Now I believe that your are for the most part sane and here is my experience with fuel. I to tried premium and it seemed to work...for awhile, maybe it's in my head or the conditions were not the same. I did notice that jumping from premium to regular, back to premium messes up the car. Probably smart people could tell me why that is??

I now only use regular and for the most part it is fine, better than before the TSB, but still needs some improvement. I drove a LC500 today, an RC300 and a RX450....none of them had any tranny (not 450) issues in my short time driving them. So I sent Lexus another letter asking if they can make these other vehicles work, why is it so difficult to make the RX smooth....no response yet.

Keep us posted on the premium as I think a few people are trying this....
Old 08-17-17, 02:08 PM
donmatt
Driver

FastFord, Your comments are much appreciated. Even for "the most Part sane". Will advise on the #2 tank of premium.
Old 08-17-17, 03:34 PM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by donmatt
FastFord, Your comments are much appreciated. Even for "the most Part sane". Will advise on the #2 tank of premium.
You started by saying " I may be old but sane" and I thought of myself...except I do have brain cramps....What did I go upstairs for?

Interested if premium helps you over a couple of tanks...thanks
Old 08-17-17, 08:38 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It's hard to read 500 posts about hesitation but you're sane, I've gone through and posted the same cycles of tsb working at first, and then not. Premium working and then not. Ultimately, Lexus doesn't have a fix. Who are you writing at Lexus?
Old 08-18-17, 04:05 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Been running premium fuel for several months now ever since I believe I heard slight pinging.
This happened going up a hill, car shifted into a high gear way to soon. I could be wrong but it sounded exactly
like pinging. I drive the same road every day to work and have not heard it since. I also feel the idle is smoother,
acceleration is slightly better and gas mileage is up slightly. At this point in Sport Mode, I haven't really noticed any
hesitation issues. I will keep using premium fuel until Lexus comes up with a better fix for the tranny.
Old 08-18-17, 06:45 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Here in Australia I've been running premium fuel for a while now and hesitation was much improved but still not perfect so still using Sport mode to smooth things out more. Car now drives well MOST of the time but still on occasions will hesitate randomly. Don't know if it's the fact the tranny learns your driving style and adapts then you change your style coming into a corner (more or less throttle) and the system is now wrong for that corner. I've found that driving the car around the rural town I live in at a slow rate,very relaxed, no traffic the car feels great. Go to a city like Sydney where the going is much faster and the car doesn't like it as much at all, often throwing in a hesitation here and there. Obviously there's a problem with the mapping of the tranny - if I try manual mode the gear changes are a treat; very, very smooth just the way the auto should be.

Lexus Australia has no TSB for a fix and just say the car drives normal and is designed to have better fuel economy. $105,000.00 car that changes gear rougher then my 17 year old Mitsubishi.
Old 08-18-17, 07:01 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by s4iscool
It's hard to read 500 posts about hesitation but you're sane, I've gone through and posted the same cycles of tsb working at first, and then not. Premium working and then not. Ultimately, Lexus doesn't have a fix. Who are you writing at Lexus?
I am guessing that you are addressing me, could be wrong...the sane comment was a joke back at donmatt because he said he was "sane" and not to light up his computer...

We are all trying to share our experiences with this hesitation issue and what works for some and not others. As a group maybe we can help TMC resolve this issue, have my doubts but at least I feel we are trying. I send many of members findings to a contact at Lexus Canada. I initially contacted the Director of Lexus Canada to express my disappointment with my RX350. I forwarded all my service records and the results to her. She acknowledged my concerns and said she would assign a special case manager. A few days later I got a call from this person, she is getting many of these comments and has put me in touch with their engineering team.

Many of you are in the States and will have different contacts and of course would not use Lexus Canada for your complaints/concerns. I posted in another thread, Vibration thread, who to write and how to get it to an Executive at Lexus USA....posted below is most of it....I was addressing someone who thought they wrote the President of Toyota....

Akio Toyoda is the President of Toyota and I guarantee he never saw your note. You said you contacted the President so I am guessing it was by email. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim Lentz is Chief Executive officer of Toyota Motor North America, Inc. (TMNA); President and Chief operating officer of Toyota Motor North America.

Mark S. Templin, group vice president and general manager – Lexus Division,

Now there are lots of CEO's at Toyota and Lexus so finding the right one to actually see your email is the challenge. I find it highly unlikely that an Executive would ever state "it is a known characteristic of the car and they are working to find a solution to the problem" to a customer. Therefore I think your note was intercepted by a service agent.

I have contacted many CEO's over the years and had great results.

First, they never even see their emails...vary rarely. They use emails between themselves that do not exist (to consumers) or are filtered heavily.
Second, never send a note during regular working hours...try around 8:30 pm ...get your time zones right depending where they are and you are.

I would start with Jeffrey Bracken Vice President and General Manager – Lexus Division USA I don't know his email, but I'm sure you can dig it up.

Your note should be short and concise. What is wrong, how many times you have tried to have it fixed...etc. You might get a response from a CEO directly, but very unlikely. Usually they give it to an assistant. I did with Lexus Canada, but it was ...Thank you for your email, I am going to refer this to my assistant for immediate attention. Got called the next morning. In my case there was a solution, but at least I didn't get some generic answer by a call center agent.

You asked who I contacted....My initial contact was with Jennifer Barron, Director, Lexus Division, Toyota Canada
For those in the States you should try Jeffrey Bracken or Mark Templin
Old 08-18-17, 07:06 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Here in Australia I've been running premium fuel for a while now and hesitation was much improved but still not perfect so still using Sport mode to smooth things out more. Car now drives well MOST of the time but still on occasions will hesitate randomly. Don't know if it's the fact the tranny learns your driving style and adapts then you change your style coming into a corner (more or less throttle) and the system is now wrong for that corner. I've found that driving the car around the rural town I live in at a slow rate,very relaxed, no traffic the car feels great. Go to a city like Sydney where the going is much faster and the car doesn't like it as much at all, often throwing in a hesitation here and there. Obviously there's a problem with the mapping of the tranny - if I try manual mode the gear changes are a treat; very, very smooth just the way the auto should be.

Lexus Australia has no TSB for a fix and just say the car drives normal and is designed to have better fuel economy. $105,000.00 car that changes gear rougher then my 17 year old Mitsubishi.
I like your description of the cornering issues. This was/is the problem with my RX. For times it works well and others it's like I'm driving a different vehicle. I do believe that the tranny does learn your style. I don't know if it's an ongoing "learn" thing or something else.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)