RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 04:12 AM
dchobo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I'm starting to think it's more of a throttle positioning thing than the tranny. As Lexus has no idea why my car is doing it, anything is up for grabs.
FastFord,

Indeed, I wonder if your throttle is the problem - maybe some kind of sensor problem that reads incorrect throttle positions intermittently and confuses the transmission ECU. This would probably also explains why some don't have the hesitation but some still do. Just a guess.

good luck!
Old 09-22-17, 07:00 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dchobo
FastFord,

Indeed, I wonder if your throttle is the problem - maybe some kind of sensor problem that reads incorrect throttle positions intermittently and confuses the transmission ECU. This would probably also explains why some don't have the hesitation but some still do. Just a guess.

good luck!
Well I got the car back this morning and had a great conversation with my Tech. Unfortunately, we were not able to replicate the issue. I did mention fluid levels and throttle position. Both were checked and everything read normal. Oh well...

It's amazing how much data they can pull from the car, He was able to read my driving habits and any codes that might have come up...pretty cool stuff.,,, big brother IS watching! He did not find anything strange over the last two weeks....And that's about how long it's been since it last did it's hesitation thing.

Keep those interested posted....
Old 09-22-17, 08:38 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Well I got the car back this morning and had a great conversation with my Tech. Unfortunately, we were not able to replicate the issue. I did mention fluid levels and throttle position. Both were checked and everything read normal. Oh well...

It's amazing how much data they can pull from the car, He was able to read my driving habits and any codes that might have come up...pretty cool stuff.,,, big brother IS watching! He did not find anything strange over the last two weeks....And that's about how long it's been since it last did it's hesitation thing.

Keep those interested posted....
Simple way to replicate this issue.. ask someone else to drive the car continuously for couple of weeks and then the day you get back the car it will show all kinds of hesitation issues. My wife and I switch the car every month and first few days is when we both notice all kind of hesitation issues... basically the car is learning/adjusting to your driving habits and the tranny (program/software) goes nuts... not sure why Lexus has such a sensitive program to adjust the tranny behavior (hesitation occurs once in a while even after it's adjusted to your driving habits).
Old 09-22-17, 08:47 AM
FastFord
Racer

You may have something there...We did have a discussion about the tranny learning and disconnecting the battery etc. I tend to drive slightly more ...call it assertive, when my wife is not in the car, by no means, aggressive. Then with my wife, more like a mature, responsible adult...haha

I will keep track if the hesitation tends to be around those wife, no wife, wife days... Anything is worth recording, cause I'm still determine to make it better. I think I'm becoming obsessed...I need a job!
The following users liked this post:
PCW (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 05:48 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm the only driver of my car so not sure about this theory. We had earlier posts around how the tranny works ok in the morning out of the garage but then it starts to get stupid. Also noticed right after filling up gas, the car shifts normal. Then it quickly gets bad. I suspect again some type of adaptive programming that's trying to optimize shifts but it's confusing itself.
The following 2 users liked this post by s4iscool:
donmatt (09-24-17), FastFord (09-23-17)
Old 09-23-17, 07:48 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by s4iscool
tranny works ok in the morning out of the garage but then it starts to get stupid.

Perfect...my laugh for the day!
Old 09-24-17, 05:38 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perfect...my laugh for the day!
My great laugh also. Of course at my age I can laugh even at myself sometimes. The vehicle does act STUPID at times.
Old 09-25-17, 03:29 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Watched the new LS vid.
Wonder how the 10 speed will work out.
Old 09-26-17, 07:48 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
Watched the new LS vid.
Wonder how the 10 speed will work out.
Just read about a road test in San Francisco. They mention that it is slow to downshift when slowing down in sport mode.
But they did not mention about hesitations or whatsoever.

--EDIT-- Actually they did not mention if it was in slowing down... I think I just assumed but it could be when pusging the gas to get acceleration too. The text is not clear.

I won't reproduce the text here since it is in french.

Last edited by PeeVee; 09-26-17 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 08:34 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It will work beautifully and seamlessly like all Lexus transmissions do....its the driver who pushes the pedal that causes all these imaginary issues :P
Old 09-28-17, 08:27 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Just had my dealer call me back from my 5k service. I had provided the TSB on the reflash to "help" the hesitation problem and on the first callback he said that didn't apply to my VIN. On the callback this morning,via voicemail, he said they called Lexus and there is a brand new software to reflash the ECU and they applied it. He said they wanted to cover all bases so they called just to make sure. I'm arranging for delivery and will post anything I learn from them.

EDIT: Well, he came off the "brand new" and said it came out in April this year and is TSB-01-0917. Sounds like the original TSB, but that came out in February. I'll check the paperwork when I get the car back later today. Is it possible they just release a new software and kept the same TSB? Doubtful.

Last edited by jr4div2; 09-28-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-28-17, 07:14 PM
claufoley8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx350 201

From the moment we bought the car, it has a hard tome accelerating, I have to press the gas pedal to the metal in order to reach the proper speed for the freeway. I have taken it to the regular maintenance and told the service consultants about the issue. Their answer is that the car works fine, and no issues were found. Yesterday, I took my car for maintenance, got a vehicle loaner same model &same year as mine, to my surprise the loan er vehicle did not hesitate to accelerate! !.
Has anybody else has the same issue?
Old 09-29-17, 05:03 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to CL... Not sure if you read any of this 40 page thread before you posted, but there are people here that are having the same experience as you..
Old 09-29-17, 06:50 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Just had my dealer call me back from my 5k service. I had provided the TSB on the reflash to "help" the hesitation problem and on the first callback he said that didn't apply to my VIN. On the callback this morning,via voicemail, he said they called Lexus and there is a brand new software to reflash the ECU and they applied it. He said they wanted to cover all bases so they called just to make sure. I'm arranging for delivery and will post anything I learn from them.

EDIT: Well, he came off the "brand new" and said it came out in April this year and is TSB-01-0917. Sounds like the original TSB, but that came out in February. I'll check the paperwork when I get the car back later today. Is it possible they just release a new software and kept the same TSB? Doubtful.
Whether there is a "new" fix and they call it the same TSB....The key is to know what the calibration ID number is. This is displayed on their PC when they hook up your car.

The calibration ID number for L-SB-0109-17 TSB and (3757 TSB Canada..I think) is.....

2WD Non-F sport........................ 896630E36300
2WD F Sport............................... 896630E54100
4WD Non F sport.........................896630E41200
4WD F Sport............................... 896630E37300

And if you have a built in Japan as identified by your VIN JTJ

4WD Non F Sport ....................... 896630E41200 (which is the same as built in Canada)

Ask your dealer to see the PC Calibration ID or ask which one it has.

The TSB number might not change but the calibration id might change.....I think your SA is incorrect, maybe it's new to him/her.
Old 10-03-17, 07:54 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, I'm still a little hesitant to say wow, but WOW!!! Whatever they did changed the entire way this car accelerates. My wife noticed it right off the bat. I watched the tach as she drove and it seems now to shift through the lower gears as one would expect and really feels so much more powerful. I watched for a could 15 minutes of in-town driving. Definitely not the same program that was running the tranny before. When I realized this car had the problem, I would watch the tach and it would start off and hit maybe 1200-1500 rpms from a stop and then drop down to like 500-600 and just stay there and there was this awful ugh like the car had no desire to go. That is no more. I drove it myself and now I don't even feel like kicking it over in to sport mode anymore. I'd say it drives in ECO mode now better than it did in sport mode before. I realize the car still has to relearn our driving habits, thus my hesitation to declare victory, but the car has never, ever felt this peppy since we bought it new last December.

I don't know what else to ask my dealer as he was himming and hawwing trying to find info when I talked to him last. I will say, through, it is definitely a much more pleasurable driving car now.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)