RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 05:35 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Well, I'm still a little hesitant to say wow, but WOW!!! Whatever they did changed the entire way this car accelerates. My wife noticed it right off the bat. I watched the tach as she drove and it seems now to shift through the lower gears as one would expect and really feels so much more powerful. I watched for a could 15 minutes of in-town driving. Definitely not the same program that was running the tranny before. When I realized this car had the problem, I would watch the tach and it would start off and hit maybe 1200-1500 rpms from a stop and then drop down to like 500-600 and just stay there and there was this awful ugh like the car had no desire to go. That is no more. I drove it myself and now I don't even feel like kicking it over in to sport mode anymore. I'd say it drives in ECO mode now better than it did in sport mode before. I realize the car still has to relearn our driving habits, thus my hesitation to declare victory, but the car has never, ever felt this peppy since we bought it new last December.

I don't know what else to ask my dealer as he was himming and hawwing trying to find info when I talked to him last. I will say, through, it is definitely a much more pleasurable driving car now.

Do me a favor and look on the work order and advise what your Dealer did to make such a change. This could benefit some on this forum and myself greatly.. I have, along with Dealer Tech, exhausted all efforts to correct frustrating deficiency in the
RX350. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-04-17, 05:18 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by donmatt
Do me a favor and look on the work order and advise what your Dealer did to make such a change. This could benefit some on this forum and myself greatly.. I have, along with Dealer Tech, exhausted all efforts to correct frustrating deficiency in the
RX350. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Unfortunately, it doesn't give much detail other than a software update to the ECU. Here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)-img_4204c.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
donmatt (10-04-17)
Old 10-05-17, 06:24 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

So it's been a few weeks since the car has been working well. The RX did go in to make sure the calibration ID was correct and shift points according to spec....nothing found, working as per Lexus most recent update.

I have been using fuel regular fuel from the same gas station for weeks now. (Esso)
Before I was, getting gas anywhere ( Major Brand) and occasionally fill up with Premium. Premium-regular-regular-premium, would mess the car up.

Maybe they all sell the same stuff from the same oil refinery, I don't know. But I do find that using the same fuel, not back and forth has made a difference.

There are a couple of people here that still have issues/complaints and I would be interested to know if you have tried using the same fuel, same brand for awhile and posting your results...Thanks!
Old 10-05-17, 07:09 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
So it's been a few weeks since the car has been working well. The RX did go in to make sure the calibration ID was correct and shift points according to spec....nothing found, working as per Lexus most recent update.

I have been using fuel regular fuel from the same gas station for weeks now. (Esso)
Before I was, getting gas anywhere ( Major Brand) and occasionally fill up with Premium. Premium-regular-regular-premium, would mess the car up.

Maybe they all sell the same stuff from the same oil refinery, I don't know. But I do find that using the same fuel, not back and forth has made a difference.

There are a couple of people here that still have issues/complaints and I would be interested to know if you have tried using the same fuel, same brand for awhile and posting your results...Thanks!
I need to find the bill of my 6K service when they applied the STB on mine in late October last year (2016). Still no hesitation since. I wonder if the STB is the same?

I remember not asking for it, the technician wrote that he noticed the issue and applied the STB and that the problem was fixed. I had noticed only a better response time between pressing the pedal and the engine response when in full stop.
Old 10-05-17, 07:18 AM
FastFord
Racer

If they apply the wrong calibration ID the car runs terrible...worse than before the TSB. Post 593 has the ID's for each vehicle....
Old 10-06-17, 02:53 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

He told me that unplugging the battery does not reset the transmission learning curve like it did years ago, at least not in the same manner.
Did you find out how to reset the tranny?
Old 10-06-17, 05:06 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Did you find out how to reset the tranny?
All I remember from the Tech was that unplugging the battery does not reset the learning curve as in years past. There was more information but I just don't remember...Resetting the ecu by deleting the program and re-installing it seems to be the best way. I have the proper calibration id and it seems to be running fine lately. As stated earlier I only use regular fuel now, and from the same place. This seems to make it run more consistently.

It still does some strange things, mostly when slowing down to 1-3 mph and getting on the gas again. All slow speed stuff and re-acceleration. Getting on the highway, passing, etc...no problem.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 09:18 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

It still does some strange things, mostly when slowing down to 1-3 mph and getting on the gas again. All slow speed stuff and re-acceleration. Getting on the highway, passing, etc...no problem.
I have the exact same experience. Sports mode is much better in that situation.
Old 10-06-17, 05:04 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I also had the update done today. My vehicle is a year old and earlier on the Service Dept said to not do the update. (maybe there was issues with the earlier update). Today I went thru the routine again and he said no problem. They now had multiple complaints and did the update while fixing a tire that had a nail in it (hurricane relief work). It made a big difference and now works the way it should have from the beginning. Sports mode now shifts quicker and holds the gears longer. Normal works like it should without bucking and jerking as if it was starving for gas. I hope this continues to work. I wish all of you well and hopefully it will make your ride more enjoyable. Here is a photo of the work order.
Old 10-06-17, 08:08 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Please report back in a few weeks. I had a good few days before it went downhill.
Old 10-07-17, 07:57 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile

I will give you feedback in a few weeks.
Old 10-07-17, 09:43 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I just had mine reprogramed after a year of ownership and 10K miles. Big improvement! Now have good throttle response and smooth downshifts. I hope it lasts.
Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by oldcajun:
donmatt (10-18-17), ggebhardt (10-18-17)
Old 10-08-17, 11:09 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I just had mine reprogramed after a year of ownership and 10K miles. Big improvement! Now have good throttle response and smooth downshifts. I hope it lasts.
Steve
Was this the first time you had the TSB applied? I had mine done when it first came out an felt no difference, Bringing it in on Tuesday for 1 year maintenance, I'm going to ask them to make sure it was installed.
Old 10-08-17, 12:07 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Was this the first time you had the TSB applied? I had mine done when it first came out an felt no difference, Bringing it in on Tuesday for 1 year maintenance, I'm going to ask them to make sure it was installed.
Yes, this is the first time. I waited until it needed a scheduled service visit.
Steve
Old 10-09-17, 06:47 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I will tell you that if it's done correctly, you will instantly notice a change for the better. It is not subtle at all. As I stated before, my wife definitely noticed the more consistent acceleration. It literally drives like a different car.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)