RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-17, 09:51 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
trying to copy it...damn cpu!

I found my work sheet when they updated it. Confirmed, I have the latest now. Seems that they have applied it right after it came out, in Feb 2017.
Old 10-31-17, 11:38 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
https://youtu.be/SAkv5O2DKBY

^^^ At least it sounds impressive

PS This vehicle does not give me confidence that I'll have instant sharp acceleration if I need to overtake someone, but it sure is very comfortable

Sure wish mine sounded like that. Mine sounds like a Honda Civic with a bad exhaust!
Old 11-02-17, 05:07 PM
ljeffyoung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finish my transmission update

Mine is 2016 RX350 AWD, non-fsport. I visited dealership two days ago and show they the TSB PDF printed out. A technician test drove my car with me and duplicated the hesitation problem. Dealership performed a transmission software update for my car, and the driving is improved! The feel of acceleration is faster and more smooth, and the hesitation problem is also improved. BUT, the hesitation is still there, it sure improved but still there, believe me, you can still feel it sometimes but is much better.

Personally, I give a score compare before and after transmission update, range from 1-10
Before update: 3 or 4

After update: 7 or 8
Old 11-06-17, 04:00 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Maybe they forgot to reset (disconnect) the battery??

Hope they get it right.
This is in reference to having the TSB done only to notice that sport+ was missing. The next day when I returned I spoke to the tech and asked if he had the correct calibration id and did he reset the battery and he said yes to both. I returned a week later and had the service advisor give the tech a hand written note again asking him if he disconnected the battery. The tech, after calling all the Lexus tech gurus, finally found out the answer. Yes, he reset the battery but he only did it for a few minutes, I guess he didn't hear me when I originally told him to leave disconnected for 30 minutes, another thing I learned from this forum. Anyway, he left it disconnected for an hour and now all is well. The service advisor called me and left me a msg saying I was "kinda" right. Hey, it wasn't me, it was FastFord,
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (11-09-17)
Old 11-07-17, 04:26 AM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

https://youtu.be/SAkv5O2DKBY

^^^ At least it sounds impressive

PS This vehicle does not give me confidence that I'll have instant sharp acceleration if I need to overtake someone, but it sure is very comfortable
I agree with you 100%. A Nissan Murano left me sitting at a red light a few weeks ago...pretty embarrassing and I drive in Sport Mode b/c of so much hesitation.
Old 11-07-17, 06:24 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
I agree with you 100%. A Nissan Murano left me sitting at a red light a few weeks ago...pretty embarrassing and I drive in Sport Mode b/c of so much hesitation.
Happend to me in sport mode yesterday- Went to change lanes, and a car in the other lane was coming up faster than I anticipated. Punched it and- nothing. Fell on its face. Felt like it took it at least a second to recover, then kicked the RPMs up to around 5000 and took off, a bit too hard.
Old 11-07-17, 07:01 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I honestly think the delay is caused by the Safety+ **** System that does all the checks before the strong throttle response is allowed. I've been in numerous situations where I need the car to punch to cross a lane for an exit, etc, and the delay makes me glad I have dark tints on my windows, and no one can't see that my face matches my roja interior.

For an almost 300hp vehicle is quite anemic.

PS Nissan \ Infiniti throttle response is excellent, while they are also heavy cars with about same weight, they perform much better because of the response. RX is still one of the most comfortable SUVs in traffic, but if you need any spirited driving, find a nice steep straight downhill.
Hubs (11-07-17)
Old 11-07-17, 09:15 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

I honestly think the delay is caused by the Safety+ **** System that does all the checks before the strong throttle response is allowed.
That could explain why my 2016 has very good response time!

Last edited by PeeVee; 11-07-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 03:33 PM
jhersey
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daveylin
So this has happened twice now in the last couple days... I need to take the car in but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this... I think its different from the hesitation issues which I have as well.

On the freeway twice, the transmission seems to have gotten stuck on a low gear and wouldnt change... the rpms got to around 4k and then jumped awkwardly down like it was skipping gears. I had this same thing happen on my old accord before the transmission blew...

For what its worth, its a 350 f sport with 2800 miles.
Yup same problem and loss of power. stopped and it all reset. Another 30 minutes driving and ICS failure AWD locked out. Towed to dealer reset and picked up vehicle and 30 minutes on road transmission stuck in 6th and low power. Stopped and it reset. Towed back to garage and they want to put a new transmission in will take 2 months to get in from Japan. This a repeat of issues that happened in July. RX350 Fsport 12000km.
Codes said d and g solenoids stuck.
Old 11-12-17, 07:16 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 496 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jhersey
Yup same problem and loss of power. stopped and it all reset. Another 30 minutes driving and ICS failure AWD locked out. Towed to dealer reset and picked up vehicle and 30 minutes on road transmission stuck in 6th and low power. Stopped and it reset. Towed back to garage and they want to put a new transmission in will take 2 months to get in from Japan. This a repeat of issues that happened in July. RX350 Fsport 12000km.
Codes said d and g solenoids stuck.
Will they be giving you a loaner for those two months?
Old 11-13-17, 11:02 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Well sad to say, Lexus has no clue, is lying, or built this transmission to function the way mine does....many posts above. I know there are a few people that the hesitation and jumping from gear to gear drives them crazy...I'm one of them.

Well no longer...Sold the car.

Lots of great info to be found and many nice people here....Been a slice, and I'll keep lurking.

Cheers!
Old 11-13-17, 12:24 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Well sad to say, Lexus has no clue, is lying, or built this transmission to function the way mine does....many posts above. I know there are a few people that the hesitation and jumping from gear to gear drives them crazy...I'm one of them.

Lots of great info to be found and many nice people here....Been a slice, and I'll keep lurking.

Cheers!

​​​​​​I was wondering why you were so quiet!

Have all the best! Until next time!
FastFord (11-13-17)
Old 11-13-17, 12:41 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Cheers!
Very perplexing how this issue only seems to occur in the USA ? Every other country has no such issues and the very same transmissions are buttery smooth and shift seamlessly 🙄
Old 11-13-17, 01:03 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Cheers!
Very sorry to see you go, you were a valuable contributor to this forum and your posts helped many here.
For the curious amongst us, if you don't mind sharing, what did you end up buying, something sporty I hope.
FastFord (11-13-17)
Old 11-13-17, 01:38 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by LordBowral
Very perplexing how this issue only seems to occur in the USA ? Every other country has no such issues and the very same transmissions are buttery smooth and shift seamlessly 🙄
What does the speed limits look like in Australia? I was wondering if the gear ratios are different in different areas.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)