RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 07:17 PM
jhersey
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Canada does not have a lemon law but I am trusting that Lexus with all its messaging about customer satisfaction will replace the vehicle. Will find out in the next couple of days.
Old 11-15-17, 09:48 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Lots of 2 rear wheels drive on the road.

I am Canadian as well. This is why I asked!

​​​
No hard feeling since I was joking....

I had my 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB and it was 2WD. I kept it for 4 years and 69000 miles and there were about 4 times I wish it was 4WD. I installed a 2.5" lift and bigger tires and it looked really good and had no problems with snow (until I went into the field...arrrgh)
Old 11-15-17, 10:58 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
No hard feeling since I was joking....

I had my 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB and it was 2WD. I kept it for 4 years and 69000 miles and there were about 4 times I wish it was 4WD. I installed a 2.5" lift and bigger tires and it looked really good and had no problems with snow (until I went into the field...arrrgh)
Winch would be useful with 2WD.
Old 11-15-17, 05:46 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Well sad to say, Lexus has no clue, is lying, or built this transmission to function the way mine does....many posts above. I know there are a few people that the hesitation and jumping from gear to gear drives them crazy...I'm one of them.

Well no longer...Sold the car.

Lots of great info to be found and many nice people here....Been a slice, and I'll keep lurking.

Cheers!
Just saw your post, guess you had enough. Just want to wish you the best of luck with whatever vehicle you purchased.
Im sure like myself, you were much more informed this time around. Enjoy your new ride and thank you for all your informative posts.
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (11-16-17)
Old 11-16-17, 09:06 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Surprised you didn't go with the F150 based on your screen name
I would have but the GMC was in stock, equipped how I wanted and ended up cheaper than the Ford.

FASTFORD comes from the days when I had a Ford Lightning with a few things added. She was pushing 650 hp when I was done. It blew up a month after I traded it in on a Vette. The dealer called me to ask why Ford would not warranty the work. Good thing I had all the documentation when I traded it in, and clearly stated and signed by them that there would be no warranty on the truck.

I miss that truck, one a few cars I regret selling.
Old 11-16-17, 07:39 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Premium 4th RX350 here. I figured an explanation of the 'hestitation' (the Lexus tech's could not replicate it on their end), but from close observation it's attributed to the bouncy/floaty suspension when coming to a stop sign and then pressing the gas pedal to accelerate as the front of the vehicle will tip forward and low to the ground. When accelerating with the front of the vehicle lower to the ground, it creates more weight distribution to the rear (which the RX is not designed to handle hence the engine hesitation). The only solution I can think to decrease engine hesitation is to get stiffer suspension (i.e. RSR Down Sus springs, etc) to decrease the amount of bounciness/floatiness in the vehicle. I'm sure dampeners will help a bit too (F-Sport models already have them).

Honestly, the suspension of the vehicle is way to bouncy/floaty for me as during the first month of driving I suffered from sore back. I do have RSR springs, so once I put them in I can do a full comparison. Anyone here with RSR suspension please report your comparison if you can!
Old 11-16-17, 08:12 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Darith
Premium 4th RX350 here. I figured an explanation of the 'hestitation' (the Lexus tech's could not replicate it on their end), but from close observation it's attributed to the bouncy/floaty suspension when coming to a stop sign and then pressing the gas pedal to accelerate as the front of the vehicle will tip forward and low to the ground. When accelerating with the front of the vehicle lower to the ground, it creates more weight distribution to the rear (which the RX is not designed to handle hence the engine hesitation). The only solution I can think to decrease engine hesitation is to get stiffer suspension (i.e. RSR Down Sus springs, etc) to decrease the amount of bounciness/floatiness in the vehicle. I'm sure dampeners will help a bit too (F-Sport models already have them).

Honestly, the suspension of the vehicle is way to bouncy/floaty for me as during the first month of driving I suffered from sore back. I do have RSR springs, so once I put them in I can do a full comparison. Anyone here with RSR suspension please report your comparison if you can!
If you stomp on the gas pedal what'd happen then? RX is basically FWD. Still believe it is xmission issue. Mine is 450h which uses different xmission.
Old 11-16-17, 09:49 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Darith

I had the TSB done last month and it almost eliminated all of my hesitation/transmission problems, without changing the suspension.
Old 11-25-17, 10:00 AM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the problems persist in the RX450h model too?
If not than I might trade my wife's 16 RX350 and get her the hybrid model.
Thank You.
Old 11-25-17, 10:49 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaymk
Does the problems persist in the RX450h model too?
If not than I might trade my wife's 16 RX350 and get her the hybrid model.
Thank You.
Hybrid uses different tranny, a kind of CVT. No problems there. I have a 450h in the process of trading it in for an Audi SQ5, only reason is snow mode hybrid does not do a good job. I need a vehicle good in the snow for going out to our cabin in the mountains.
Old 11-25-17, 02:02 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Hybrid uses different tranny, a kind of CVT. No problems there. I have a 450h in the process of trading it in for an Audi SQ5, only reason is snow mode hybrid does not do a good job. I need a vehicle good in the snow for going out to our cabin in the mountains.
I am getting out of my Infiniti because it will not let me drive reasonable speeds , when I drive my GX , I do not wnat to speed , but , in the Infiniti , I want too .
So , no more fast cars for me , for a while , maybe for ever
Old 11-25-17, 05:01 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Luap
I am getting out of my Infiniti because it will not let me drive reasonable speeds , when I drive my GX , I do not wnat to speed , but , in the Infiniti , I want too .
So , no more fast cars for me , for a while , maybe for ever
Maybe I am not too old to drive nimble cars yet, LOL! (I just turned 77 last month) If GX had a swing up tail gate that was my choice but better half says absolute "No!" after knowing about
the swing out tail gate. Just came back from Audi dealer closing a deal on SQ5. Got as an extra, free set of 19" winter rims/tires. I'll take delivery on Wednesday.
Old 11-25-17, 05:42 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats Htony on your new ride and thanks for the reply.
I will most likely do a trade now as there aren't any hesitation issues in the 450h.
It is a compromise driving the RX350 and not a secured drive.
Let us know how you like the Audi compared to your lexus hybrid.
Thank You.
Old 11-25-17, 09:06 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaymk
Congrats Htony on your new ride and thanks for the reply.
I will most likely do a trade now as there aren't any hesitation issues in the 450h.
It is a compromise driving the RX350 and not a secured drive.
Let us know how you like the Audi compared to your lexus hybrid.
Thank You.
During test drive, I beat the hell out of SQ5. New dual stage turbo specs. V6 is very close to Bimmer's I6 dual stage turbo. No noticeable turbo lag, early torque peak. Super charged V6 couldn't match the speed of BIMMER. IMO, now they will be neck and neck on the track. Chose optional 21" rims for summer. By the time summer comes around it'll be broken in for summer driving. Will have fun with my son who drives
X5M in the summer. Keeping rpm at around 1400, mpg won't be that bad for daily city driving. This thing screams when punched on the gas like a motor bike.....
Old 11-26-17, 12:42 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
During test drive, I beat the hell out of SQ5. New dual stage turbo specs. V6 is very close to Bimmer's I6 dual stage turbo. No noticeable turbo lag, early torque peak. Super charged V6 couldn't match the speed of BIMMER. IMO, now they will be neck and neck on the track. Chose optional 21" rims for summer. By the time summer comes around it'll be broken in for summer driving. Will have fun with my son who drives
X5M in the summer. Keeping rpm at around 1400, mpg won't be that bad for daily city driving. This thing screams when punched on the gas like a motor bike.....
Just curious, have you ever punched a 160 hp "motor bike"??

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)