RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 08:30 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

I think driving i spsorts mode will run better but it defeats the purpose of saving gas whatever small amount that is. It tries to up shift as fast as it is possible but due to the way the gear box is designed as well
as controlling software is not mature this symptom occurs. When it is cold it gets worse. This is what I think.
Old 03-05-18, 09:56 AM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hated the way the tranny hesitated, shifted abruptly, and caused constant droning on my 2016 RX 350 and that's one of the reason I went for the hybrid. However, when I was trying to test drive the hybrid, the first dealership I went to didn't have any to test drive, so I decided to give 2018 RX 350 a try. It drove way better then mine 2016 - almost no droning and hardly any hesitation. The dealer assured me that it had the same transmission as my 2016. So, I am not sure whether Lexus fixed something quietly in the transmission in 2018 models or whether it's because it was a new car and the learning algorithm still hasn't done its damage.

Present...
2018 RX 450h - Nebula Gray Pearl w/Stratus Gray
Past...
2016 RX 350 - Nebula Gray Pearl w/Stratus Gray
2014 RX 350 - Nebula Gray Pearl w/Light Gray

Last edited by javapro; 03-05-18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 01:52 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

[QUOTE=javapro;10132946] I am not sure whether Lexus fixed something quietly in the transmission in 2018 models or whether it's because it was a new car and the learning algorithm still hasn't done its damage.
/QUOTE]

Bingo... I have the dealer reset the computer every visit, and the RX drives great for about 6 weeks and then its downhill from there.....
Old 03-05-18, 10:00 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

[QUOTE=jugdish;10133211]
Originally Posted by javapro
I am not sure whether Lexus fixed something quietly in the transmission in 2018 models or whether it's because it was a new car and the learning algorithm still hasn't done its damage.
/QUOTE]

Bingo... I have the dealer reset the computer every visit, and the RX drives great for about 6 weeks and then its downhill from there.....
Do you always use the same fuel (standard, premium) and brand?
Is there more than one person driving the car regularly?
Old 03-06-18, 10:08 AM
SirKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can we disable the adaptive transmission? Feels like it does more harm than good.
Old 03-07-18, 04:18 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I know this doesn’t solve the issue, but I have found that driving the car in manual mode takes care of this issue.
It also helps with keeping the car out of the 1500rpm range where I get vibration. If it wasn’t for this manual mode there
would be no way I could deal with this car. Literally one of the worst cars I have owned.
Old 03-07-18, 05:15 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I know this doesn’t solve the issue, but I have found that driving the car in manual mode takes care of this issue.
It also helps with keeping the car out of the 1500rpm range where I get vibration. If it wasn’t for this manual mode there
would be no way I could deal with this car. Literally one of the worst cars I have owned.
Do you use the same fuel type and brand all the time or do you mix it up a bit?
Is there more than one person driving the car?
Have you had the dealer reset the tranny's ECU
Old 03-07-18, 07:37 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Do you use the same fuel type and brand all the time or do you mix it up a bit?
Is there more than one person driving the car?
Have you had the dealer reset the tranny's ECU
I have tried everything, 93oct fuel, TSB done. The issue is the the 4th to 5th gear change. They ratios are too far apart.
If Im not hard on the gas it will start to lug than downshift. By using the manual mode I can hold the gears out and there is no issue. I know not everyones is like this. The loaner I had was much better, but I keep getting caught in this loop with the dealer telling me its operating normally. So I will keeping driving it in manual till this lease is up. So looking forward to that.
Every time I drive my wifes Chevy Tahoe I am reminded how smooth a power train
can be.

Old 03-11-18, 11:27 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Still fighting the good fight! Agree that I’ve had $15 a day rentals that don’t try to be smart and shift just fine. I gave up on Lexus months ago. They are not proactive and haven’t satisfied their customers. Clearly they have made changes to other Toyota cars with the same setup and it works well. I’ll drive this car a few more months with lowered expectations then move on to a competitor. Best but limited way I can make my little voice and dollars felt.
Originally Posted by tdjacw

I have tried everything, 93oct fuel, TSB done. The issue is the the 4th to 5th gear change. They ratios are too far apart.
If Im not hard on the gas it will start to lug than downshift. By using the manual mode I can hold the gears out and there is no issue. I know not everyones is like this. The loaner I had was much better, but I keep getting caught in this loop with the dealer telling me its operating normally. So I will keeping driving it in manual till this lease is up. So looking forward to that.
Every time I drive my wifes Chevy Tahoe I am reminded how smooth a power train
can be.

Old 04-03-18, 10:30 AM
chiosas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi lexus owners,i am new to this lexus forum, same problem with my 2017 rx350, but what i discovered is when the car is cold in the morning, there is no hesitation, when it heats up it drives worse then my prius, went to dealer and of course they say car is perfect. I am so disappointed, car is so unresponsive unless you hit gas pedal really hard, shifting and shifting gears up and down. Any fix yet? I know it drives great on sport mode but rpm's goes way to high. And one more problem i have is cruise control. If you set your speed lets say 75 and later you want to lower lets say to 72, rpm's goes to 5000 and then it goes down after few seconds. Looks like car can not find a right gear. Never had these problems with my other cars i had in my life...Made big mistake to pick 350 over 450h
Old 04-03-18, 01:19 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by chiosas
hi lexus owners,i am new to this lexus forum, same problem with my 2017 rx350, but what i discovered is when the car is cold in the morning, there is no hesitation, when it heats up it drives worse then my prius, went to dealer and of course they say car is perfect. I am so disappointed, car is so unresponsive unless you hit gas pedal really hard, shifting and shifting gears up and down. Any fix yet? I know it drives great on sport mode but rpm's goes way to high. And one more problem i have is cruise control. If you set your speed lets say 75 and later you want to lower lets say to 72, rpm's goes to 5000 and then it goes down after few seconds. Looks like car can not find a right gear. Never had these problems with my other cars i had in my life...Made big mistake to pick 350 over 450h
How are you lowering your speed from 75 to 72?
Old 04-03-18, 01:26 PM
chiosas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
How are you lowering your speed from 75 to 72?
with a cruise **** on a steering wheel
Old 04-03-18, 04:18 PM
chiosas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s4iscool
they will have to if enough people keep complaining. They have people that browse these forums and I can guarantee you the 2017 will have updated software (once they fix it)
i have 2017 rx350 and hesitation is killing me, went to dealer and they told me that car drives normal, entering highway i have to floor it, sounds crazy to me
Old 04-03-18, 05:58 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by chiosas

with a cruise **** on a steering wheel
Mine stays in high gear when I push the cruise control lever down. Sounds like yours is dropping to lower gears, so something's wrong.
Old 04-03-18, 07:17 PM
chiosas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Mine stays in high gear when I push the cruise control lever down. Sounds like yours is dropping to lower gears, so something's wrong.
yes,mine shifts down and rpm goes almost to red line and also if i go down the hill it acts the same, shifts couple gears down and rpm goes up like crazy, engine noise sounds like formula one race...Do you have hesitation issue driving city at normal speeds specially after you make a turn and need to accelerate? What year is your RX?

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)